The Student Room Group

was university what you expected it to be?

exactly what the question states. when I was in my first year (I'm going to be entering first year again on different course), I expected things to run a lot more smoother in terms of making friends and getting used to a different surrounding. in fact I found I didn't enjoy it, therefore ruining the 'expectations' I had of uni. What I've learnt is to never expect anything now so please share your experiences :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Agree entirely, I went from total hermit to going out 2-3 times a week purely because of my housemates.

Like OP said, the main thing to do is to NOT have any pre-determined expectations, because you have no idea how university is going to turn out, it really is a bit of a blind rollercoaster. It's much more predictable and manageable once you've found your feet, but yeah, anything can happen in first year.

Don't go in expecting another crap Freshers though OP, chances are you just had bad luck, literally everyone can make loads of friends and enjoy uni!
Making friends at uni is pure luck, nothing to do with your own individual social skills

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope. Hated it.
Original post by pauly9090
Agree entirely, I went from total hermit to going out 2-3 times a week purely because of my housemates.

Like OP said, the main thing to do is to NOT have any pre-determined expectations, because you have no idea how university is going to turn out, it really is a bit of a blind rollercoaster. It's much more predictable and manageable once you've found your feet, but yeah, anything can happen in first year.

Don't go in expecting another crap Freshers though OP, chances are you just had bad luck, literally everyone can make loads of friends and enjoy uni!

Thanks! I guess I just got put with the wrong people, we were all just so mis-matched and ended up just becoming distant and cold to each other. I ended up moving out in March to a different accommodation but by then even though my new flatmates were nice I still didn't belong :/ but like u said I'll go in with no expectations and try to have fun :smile:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Musie Suzie
Nope. Hated it.

Any particular reason why :smile:?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I remember you! You posted a lot of blogs back in 2013 about uni, was a massive fan :smile: congrats on the engagement btw. What didn't you enjoy about your course if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yabbayabba
Making friends at uni is pure luck, nothing to do with your own individual social skills

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, some of my school friends got completely lucky at uni and ended up with some really great people

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand, halfway through first year I decided against law as it was just so dull. hopefully the course you're going to be doing next time will be better and more enjoyable, is it still at the same uni?
Reply 9
Yeah, I 100% loved it. I disliked my course at times, but I made great friends and had an awesome time overall.
Original post by k3ro
Yeah, I 100% loved it. I disliked my course at times, but I made great friends and had an awesome time overall.

thats great to hear! :smile: what course was it out of curiosity?
I've just finished my first year.

I thought I'd hate it, hate being 300 miles from home, get dreadfully homesick, have zero friends and had visions of dropping out by mid-October. However, I've loved it! :biggrin: Being 300 miles from home has helped me become very independent, I've only been home outside of holidays once and that was because I needed to go to a hospital thingy, adore the course, and have a great big circle of nice friends. :smile:
ah, my friend is at the uni now, she loves it and says the people there are lovely. like I said, hopefully this time you'll find it all better than you did before :smile:!
Original post by ChemicalBond
I've just finished my first year.

I thought I'd hate it, hate being 300 miles from home, get dreadfully homesick, have zero friends and had visions of dropping out by mid-October. However, I've loved it! :biggrin: Being 300 miles from home has helped me become very independent, I've only been home outside of holidays once and that was because I needed to go to a hospital thingy, adore the course, and have a great big circle of nice friends. :smile:

thats so good to hear!
Original post by maryamzahid
Any particular reason why :smile:?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a long story, but I think it was fundamentally the wrong uni. Loved the subject, but wasn't the right place to do it.
Original post by Musie Suzie
It's a long story, but I think it was fundamentally the wrong uni. Loved the subject, but wasn't the right place to do it.

understandable, had a few friends who felt the same :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by maryamzahid
thats great to hear! :smile: what course was it out of curiosity?

physics. ive always been very love/hate with it though hahaha.
completely what i expected to be and better in some ways.
I ve learnt a lot doing a foundation degree, got better than average grades for the 1st time in my life and had the top grade in one exam out of the whole course.
Found it to be a generally supportive environment, i ve met loads of lovely people, even met my partner at a university society event and been together since then. I just loved the independence and my uni in general.
Original post by claireestelle
completely what i expected to be and better in some ways.
I ve learnt a lot doing a foundation degree, got better than average grades for the 1st time in my life and had the top grade in one exam out of the whole course.
Found it to be a generally supportive environment, i ve met loads of lovely people, even met my partner at a university society event and been together since then. I just loved the independence and my uni in general.

although I didn't have much fun in uni, I do agree that it is a more supportive environment, the tutors and lecturers make sure that you achieve the best grade possible and that's quite refreshing compared to sixth form/school in general.
Original post by k3ro
physics. ive always been very love/hate with it though hahaha.

know a lot of people doing physics, always has been one interesting subject :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending