The Student Room Group

Problems with admissions - unhelpful and uncooperative.

Hi there guys.

Is there anyone else out there who has had problems with the admissions office? I was denied a place at Aberdeen in early June based on one of my highers (IB) being short of one mark to reach the level they needed for that higher (even if I was 2 points above the overall...) as early as 4 days after the submission of my grades. I then did a remark, and that higher went up to the level that I was required to achieve, so I successfully met, and exceeded, the offer.

I called last week and asked if I could possibly have an answer asap, as I thought that it would not go up and therefore secured a clearing place at another university and do not know how long they can hold that place. I was told that I would get a response early this week, but when I called in and asked, I was told that I would have to wait until next week due to the admissions director being on yearly leave. I felt very much out of options, so I called the team responsible for handling my course and talked to them. While they have no impact on applications and admissions at all, I was told by that course director that they were frankly surprised that I needed discussion with the director, and that the admissions team should be equipped to deal with this type of situation.

I generally feel that they have done little to help, and there seems to be little interest in finding any way that they can help me at all. Has anyone else had this problem? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? I would greatly appreciate any help. I also feel that they denied my application on UCAS much too hastily, not even giving me a chance to do a remark to get my actual grade. What is your opinion on this? Should I also not be accepted without any hassle now that I have my actual grades that meet and exceed the offer?

P.S. I was even told by someone at the student recruitment office that the admissions enquires are not even dealt with by the school at the school, but by an outside party/company (this also surprised the course director)
Original post by RedExorcist
Hi there guys.

Is there anyone else out there who has had problems with the admissions office? I was denied a place at Aberdeen in early June based on one of my highers (IB) being short of one mark to reach the level they needed for that higher (even if I was 2 points above the overall...) as early as 4 days after the submission of my grades. I then did a remark, and that higher went up to the level that I was required to achieve, so I successfully met, and exceeded, the offer.

I called last week and asked if I could possibly have an answer asap, as I thought that it would not go up and therefore secured a clearing place at another university and do not know how long they can hold that place. I was told that I would get a response early this week, but when I called in and asked, I was told that I would have to wait until next week due to the admissions director being on yearly leave. I felt very much out of options, so I called the team responsible for handling my course and talked to them. While they have no impact on applications and admissions at all, I was told by that course director that they were frankly surprised that I needed discussion with the director, and that the admissions team should be equipped to deal with this type of situation.

I generally feel that they have done little to help, and there seems to be little interest in finding any way that they can help me at all. Has anyone else had this problem? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? I would greatly appreciate any help. I also feel that they denied my application on UCAS much too hastily, not even giving me a chance to do a remark to get my actual grade. What is your opinion on this? Should I also not be accepted without any hassle now that I have my actual grades that meet and exceed the offer?

P.S. I was even told by someone at the student recruitment office that the admissions enquires are not even dealt with by the school at the school, but by an outside party/company (this also surprised the course director)

Edit: I've editted my post because most of it was wrong.

It would be a good idea to speak to UCAS and clarify their position for remarks this year and then go back to Aberdeen.

Ultimately, it sounds like they aren't obliged to accept you, unfortunately, so you'll just have to wait and see (or decide to go for your clearing place instead).

However, it does sound like they have been less than stellar in dealing with this, and the head of admissions being away at this time of year is certainly less than ideal. That said, admissions aren't really there to help students who've been rejected, and the admissions department ultimately works for the uni, rather than the other way around.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Did you let them know you were getting a remark? To be fair, the responsibility is on you to do this. However, in previous years, if you have let them know that you are getting a remark, and it goes up to the point where you meet your offer, the uni has to accept you, just like they do when you first get your results.

That's actually not true unless it's changed for 2015, we've had this discussion with UCAS in previous years which Minerva and others will no doubt remember, and the position from UCAS was that the uni can essentially ignore the result of the remark once the original set of results have been provided, even if the result following a remark would mean you got your place. The uni is strongly encouraged to honour the place if possible but are not obliged to do so.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
That's actually not true unless it's changed for 2015, we've had this discussion with UCAS in previous years which Minerva and others will no doubt remember, and the position from UCAS was that the uni can essentially ignore the result of the remark once the original set of results have been provided, even if the result following a remark would mean you got your place. The uni is strongly encouraged to honour the place if possible but are not obliged to do so.

Ah I see.

I was basing my response on what I was told by my teachers in 2009, when I was debating a priority remark, and it's not something I've had to deal with since, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong.
Original post by RedExorcist
Hi there guys.

From what i've personally experienced, are they being unhelpful because you already hold a ucas place?
When I had issues with Winchester university (who messed up my accommodation and told me they had no student accommodation available for me and i'd have to private rent- which i couldnt afford at the time) they were very unhelpful in withdrawing me from my place.
I phoned DMU about a course and they said that they cant really hold places for students in clearing if they hold a unconditional firmed place somewhere else.

Do they have places in clearing? Are you trying to apply via clearing? Most unis have policies not to accept same year reaplications, but you'd have to ask,

Cant you try phoning up once more. start off asking if they have clearing spaces left for your course and then explain your situation. Frankly they should be able to help and I really dont get why they would allow their admissions director to be off at the most busy period of the year for universities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending