Nikolamz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So my GCSE options right now are triple science, sociology, art and drama. However I'm not sure whether I should do economics instead of drama. This is becuase I enjoy drama but I know that if I hear someone smirking or laughing.. I will automatically get shy and not Try my best.. I can't help it( highest level I got was 6a) . However , I'm good in maths (7a) which I heard is helpful in economics but I don't know what to expect from economics since we didn't get much information and about the subject + the economics class is small which means it would be easier to focus than in a pact drama class. But I am looking forward to doing both.

What should I do????

P.s
I defo will not be working in the creative industry when k grow up (ATLEAST I'm not planning to) XD
And I'm not changing any of my other GCSEs.
danniegee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you enjoy drama, then it's a great idea to take it at this level - I took GCSE drama and I loved it! I'm now an Oxford offer-holder, so it's not like it's affected my future plans in any way.

What you'll learn about GCSE drama is that sadly, there will always be a group of people in your class who - to be as polite as possible - are a bunch of dumbos who simply thought that drama was an easy ride (this is based on my and my brother's experiences - different schools and year groups). Those are the plonkers you'll find giggling and acting silly, so don't be put off by them! In all honesty, they probably won't even be watching you. Just try your best and don't let anyone take your confidence away. Hopefully you'll be in a great class anyway, but I thought I should mention this since you seem concerned about it.

I doubt that your future plans will be disrupted by whichever subject you choose, as you don't need economics at GCSE to study this at university. However, you might want to hear someone's opinion on economics first as I am biased towards drama!
Jitesh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by danniegee)
Oxford offer-holder
Wait, GCSE Drama would have got you that offer, obviously

Congratulations on your offer though, is it your firm?

OP do what you want, it's better to enjoy a subject than dread it for 2 years.. I didn't do drama or economics, so I'm not of much use
Jitesh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh, I forgot to mention, people who did drama at my school used to complain about learning a lot of lines for performances. I'm not too sure how they were assessed exactly, but that might be something to bare in mind as you are doing art, which a lot of people again say is time consuming

Not that economics would be any easier, but might be a consideration...
Benjamino78
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nikolamz)
So my GCSE options right now are triple science, sociology, art and drama. However I'm not sure whether I should do economics instead of drama. This is becuase I enjoy drama but I know that if I hear someone smirking or laughing.. I will automatically get shy and not Try my best.. I can't help it( highest level I got was 6a) . However , I'm good in maths (7a) which I heard is helpful in economics but I don't know what to expect from economics since we didn't get much information and about the subject + the economics class is small which means it would be easier to focus than in a pact drama class. But I am looking forward to doing both.

What should I do????

P.s
I defo will not be working in the creative industry when k grow up (ATLEAST I'm not planning to) XD
And I'm not changing any of my other GCSEs.
I did my GCSEs this summer and drama was one of them. No need to worry about people laughing at you... all the other peeps in your drama class will be in the same boat and so they'll be really supportive!

The only thing I didn't enjoy so much about drama was the written exam, but not all exam boards do one. I did AQA and doing the stupid essay questions put me off the subject a bit. It's all about the technique, so just keep practicing and ask your teacher for help if you want to get your mark up! The written exam counts for less than your performance, and you don't spend much class time on exam technique... so don't let that put you off. Good luck!
danniegee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jitesh)
Wait, GCSE Drama would have got you that offer, obviously

Congratulations on your offer though, is it your firm?

OP do what you want, it's better to enjoy a subject than dread it for 2 years.. I didn't do drama or economics, so I'm not of much use
Thanks! Yep, it's my firm choice - just waiting on A-level results now

I just wanted to make the point that, unless you are planning on taking an unusual combination of subjects or are looking to go into languages or something (says the girl who's mad about French), your GCSE options shouldn't be a major worry - A-levels tend to be more limiting as a general rule. I loved GCSE drama and am glad I did it, and I think that having a more creative option in my GCSE profile had been beneficial to me personally I'm sure economics is great too though - I just don't have any experience of it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (0)
0%
Better than expected (2)
25%
Worse than expected (6)
75%

Watched Threads