The Student Room Group

So, you want to do a ski season?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by star*
Thanks so much! I had no clue about the rising thing!
I've worked as a part time swimming teacher for 2 years now (+ a year of volunteering before) and I've done some casual waitressing work for dinners etc, do you think I have a good shot? I also can bake well, tho not as good as making main meals :s-smilie:

Also, if you're offered a job, do you get a choice of resort?

Hopefully see you in Les Arcs!

Based on that, I don't see why not.

Don't worry too much about the cooking. An Assistant as opposed to a Host doesn't actually do much cooking. More likely to be veg prep/helping out than actually cooking the meals. That said, Assts do the same training as Hosts 'cos there migh come a time where you need to cover another chalet due to illness etc. Also, it's not uncommon for people to get moved around in training week. ie if you're down to be an Asst, but are a really good cook, they may promote you to Host.

As a new member of staff, you'll be asked for a preference, but aren't guaranteed to get it. Obviously some resorts are more popular (Tignes, Val d'Isere) and some less so (Peisey, Les Gets). If you do another season, as a returner you get to choose the resort you apply for.
Reply 301
Original post by simeon
Based on that, I don't see why not.

Don't worry too much about the cooking. An Assistant as opposed to a Host doesn't actually do much cooking. More likely to be veg prep/helping out than actually cooking the meals. That said, Assts do the same training as Hosts 'cos there migh come a time where you need to cover another chalet due to illness etc. Also, it's not uncommon for people to get moved around in training week. ie if you're down to be an Asst, but are a really good cook, they may promote you to Host.

As a new member of staff, you'll be asked for a preference, but aren't guaranteed to get it. Obviously some resorts are more popular (Tignes, Val d'Isere) and some less so (Peisey, Les Gets). If you do another season, as a returner you get to choose the resort you apply for.

Ahh, ok, so the cooking isn't something to worry about :smile: Also, when does the training week happen?
Reply 302
Original post by star*
Ahh, ok, so the cooking isn't something to worry about :smile: Also, when does the training week happen?

Exact dates vary depending on when the season starts, but very basically...

A week for those who choose to do the company-run cookery course (Les Arcs)...

followed by...

A week for normal company training (Les Arcs for France/Austria staff, somewhere else for Switz/Italy staff)...

followed by...

set up (in your own resort).
My current plan is to take a year out after university (I've decided a gap year probably won't suit me) and then train to become a ski instructor. I'm already saving up money for this and negotiating with my parents because it is expensive!

Has anyone done this before or does anyone have any useful information? I'm looking at doing it in Courchevel (because we know someone who runs a ski company that does a training course there) or in Aosta Valley (because I think I'd prefer to speak Italian rather than French and I know that if you want to work as a ski instructor in France you need the French qualification).

Both of the courses I'm looking at so far are BASI courses, and I'm also looking at possibly training as an indoor ski instructor in the mean time because there are two indoor ski slopes quite close to me and it could then be a job.
Any tips or comments would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 304
Original post by simeon
Exact dates vary depending on when the season starts, but very basically...

A week for those who choose to do the company-run cookery course (Les Arcs)...

followed by...

A week for normal company training (Les Arcs for France/Austria staff, somewhere else for Switz/Italy staff)...

followed by...

set up (in your own resort).

Reply 305
Original post by cesca42
Has anyone done this before or does anyone have any useful information? I'm looking at doing it in Courchevel (because we know someone who runs a ski company that does a training course there) or in Aosta Valley (because I think I'd prefer to speak Italian rather than French and I know that if you want to work as a ski instructor in France you need the French qualification).

New Generation by any chance? If so they're an excellent ski school, and their 10 week GAP course is always well attended.

As you say, to work in France you have to do the 'Test Technique' in addition to BASI Lvl 2 and EUROTEST, but if EUROTEST becomes a Europe-wide recognised qualification, the French may drop 'Test Technique'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12406475

If you are thinking of Italy, as the article says, the Italian system is very fragmented, so you may be no better off than training in France.
Original post by simeon
New Generation by any chance? If so they're an excellent ski school, and their 10 week GAP course is always well attended.

As you say, to work in France you have to do the 'Test Technique' in addition to BASI Lvl 2 and EUROTEST, but if EUROTEST becomes a Europe-wide recognised qualification, the French may drop 'Test Technique'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12406475

If you are thinking of Italy, as the article says, the Italian system is very fragmented, so you may be no better off than training in France.

Nope, Skivolution. But I'll go check out this other ski school.

Ah, I see. Well, since it's another year until I even finish school, that may have happened by the time I come out of university. I am going to have to practice my slalom though- all I do at the moment is normal downhill, no racing.

The thing is, I'm not doing with the view of becoming a ski instructor- it's more something I want to do before I enter the rat race that will be fun but at the same time improve my French or Italian and also give me a back-up plan if I screw up XD

Do you know anything about what qualifications are needed to teach in America/Canada?

EDIT: sorry, it's called Skivo2 now.
Reply 307
Original post by cesca42
Nope, Skivolution. But I'll go check out this other ski school.

Ah, I see. Well, since it's another year until I even finish school, that may have happened by the time I come out of university. I am going to have to practice my slalom though- all I do at the moment is normal downhill, no racing.

The thing is, I'm not doing with the view of becoming a ski instructor- it's more something I want to do before I enter the rat race that will be fun but at the same time improve my French or Italian and also give me a back-up plan if I screw up XD

Do you know anything about what qualifications are needed to teach in America/Canada?

EDIT: sorry, it's called Skivo2 now.

I've heard of them but I think they're based in La Praz.

If you're not looking to go on to be an instructor, then the BASI 1 & 2 course is more than enough. This is what a normal GAP course covers. Anything more is extra expense/time.

You can teach in Canada/US with BASI as it's part of the ISIA, but they tend to favour their own qualifications. (PSIA or CASI/CSAI).
Reply 308
Hello,

I am planning on working a season as a chalet host this year. I have an interview with Crystal and one with Hotelplan so far. Really looking forward to it though know it's going to be hard work!
Reply 309
Original post by ames123
Hello,

I am planning on working a season as a chalet host this year. I have an interview with Crystal and one with Hotelplan so far. Really looking forward to it though know it's going to be hard work!

Good luck with your interviews.

With Hotelplan, unless you really like children, try and avoid Esprit and put Total or Inghams as your preference. I don't know how Esprit Hosts can put up with the little darlings for a whole season! :biggrin: Plus they have the extra work of lunch for the children on a resort rota (they do it once/poss twice a week).
Reply 310
Original post by simeon
Good luck with your interviews.

With Hotelplan, unless you really like children, try and avoid Esprit and put Total or Inghams as your preference. I don't know how Esprit Hosts can put up with the little darlings for a whole season! :biggrin: Plus they have the extra work of lunch for the children on a resort rota (they do it once/poss twice a week).

You have to do a separate tea for them too don't youas well? But then I suppose that cuts down on the number of meals to make for the dinner.
I think I will say that. I do think kids can be funny and would be nice occasionally but not sure I could be doing with them all the time.
Reply 311
Original post by ames123
You have to do a separate tea for them too don't youas well? But then I suppose that cuts down on the number of meals to make for the dinner.
I think I will say that. I do think kids can be funny and would be nice occasionally but not sure I could be doing with them all the time.

Yeah, High-Tea for under 13's. If you get children in Total/Inghams (which you will during school holiday weeks you'll do them High-Tea, but not the lunch meal, that's only done in Esprit chalets.

The season I hosted a chalet it was a 6 man, and quite often I ended up only having to cook for 2 adults...but you could guarantee the children didn't want what you'd cooked them for tea.
Original post by simeon
I've heard of them but I think they're based in La Praz.

If you're not looking to go on to be an instructor, then the BASI 1 & 2 course is more than enough. This is what a normal GAP course covers. Anything more is extra expense/time.

You can teach in Canada/US with BASI as it's part of the ISIA, but they tend to favour their own qualifications. (PSIA or CASI/CSAI).

Yep, but they operate in the Courchevel/Trois Vallees area.

Thank you so much for all your help! I've got at least four more years but I'm already so excited XD
Reply 313
Original post by cesca42
Yep, but they operate in the Courchevel/Trois Vallees area.

Yeah, sorry, my post came across a bit wrong... La Praz is effectively Courchevel 1300.
Reply 314
Hey, you guys seem to know what you are talking about, I was wondering if you could help me.
I've been invited to go to an espirit holidays interview for a chalet host position, and I have to take and present something that shows my suitability for the job and skills. I have no idea what kind of thing they are after. did you have to do this? :/
Reply 315
Original post by jenni0403
Hey, you guys seem to know what you are talking about, I was wondering if you could help me.
I've been invited to go to an espirit holidays interview for a chalet host position, and I have to take and present something that shows my suitability for the job and skills. I have no idea what kind of thing they are after. did you have to do this? :/

If you're going to Host, the obvious thing to do is to bake a cake. If you take a cake, make a point of telling them you the processes you used in baking it. They're not just interested in the cake, they want to see that you know how you got there. For all they know, your Mum made it for you.

For 'bonus' points...cake recipes that work at home won't work at altitude, they don't rise. This is why the majority of cakes in ski chalets use yoghurt as an ingredient.

Something else...put together a bucket of cleaning products and explain how they all work when cleaning a chalet. Emphasise the importance of being thorough and consistent, so maybe draw up a cleaning rota with daily tick boxes.
Reply 316
Thanks thats super helpful, but do you think its creative enough? there seemed to be quite a lot of empasis on that
Reply 317
Original post by jenni0403
Thanks thats super helpful, but do you think its creative enough? there seemed to be quite a lot of empasis on that

You need to weigh up 'creative' versus 'practical and to a budget' (and explain this when asked about what you did).

Don't forget that vast majority of interviewees will be 18-20, with minimal catering/hospitality experience. Don't forget, you're not going for a Chef's job, and the management don't expect you to be able to cook like one

Better to do something simpler than over-reach and screw it up.

You could do something 'local' if you feel like it...Tartiflette and Tarte Myrtille are very poular in French ski resorts, Rosti is very 'Swiss'...you get the idea...

Most importantly, don't overthink this. It's nowhere near as bad as you think it's going to be.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 318
Hi

I've got 2 interviews lined up with Crystal and Inghams and I'm really unsure of what to expect from the interviews...
Do they sit you down and ask you to plan out your meals etc.
and I also have to bring something to show off my suitability which I'm worried i could get wrong!

Does anyone have any experience of this? I would be so grateful!

Also what is the dress code for these?

Reply 319
Original post by blondie89
Hi

I've got 2 interviews lined up with Crystal and Inghams and I'm really unsure of what to expect from the interviews...
Do they sit you down and ask you to plan out your meals etc.
and I also have to bring something to show off my suitability which I'm worried i could get wrong!

Does anyone have any experience of this? I would be so grateful!

Also what is the dress code for these?

Don't know re:Crystal but Inghams/Total/Esprit is an initial group interview with 'team tasks' to complete. If you are deemed suitable, you will then go for a 1on1 interview. You won't have to do a menu plan, Inghams/Total/Esprit work to the same 7 day menu book right across the company. If they want you to take anything, the details will be sent to you by email/letter.

Main thing is...don't worry. It's not a difficult interview, and they won't be trying to catch you out.

Dress code...make an effort, be smart. You'd be amazed at how many people turn up in jeans/trainers etc. It's an interview, not a night out.

Quick Reply

Latest