How did you find these A Level Subjects?

Watch
janet_mercy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Geography for A Level and wanted some opions on these subjects, your experiences, work load, enjoyabilty etc. Thanks in advance 😊
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am doing a Biomedical Science degree (Second Year) and in all honesty, A Levels are the HARDEST things I have done in my life!
This may sound ridiculous but, I knew the content but I couldn't get around the "Exam Technique" or as it is called by myself, bull *hit.

The content, workload and experiences I had were amazing but I hated the exam mark schemes...

It's not the content I hate, just don't trip up on the mark schemes when doing papers.

Not trying to put you off, just saying don't take these subjects lightly.
username1431301
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi! I finished my Biology, Chemistry and Geography A2 Levels this year. I am not even joking but this years AS and A2 exams have been more difficult than the past papers (you'll see when they release the mark schemes)! They are now asking any more application questions, some of which are ridiculous!AS is a BIG jump from GCSE for Biology and Chemistry. I found AS Geography similar to GCSE Geography (depends on topics you do). I found A2 Geography easier than AS!!! From AS to A2 there is a significant jump for Biology and Chemistry. To be honest, Unit 5 Chemistry is a killer!!! It is just horrible calculations! If I could go back in time, I would never have taken A2 Chemistry. However, it can still be done! If you prepare well in advance, you should be ok. Just remember, they are nothing like GCSEs

Biology - can't think of anything too bad

Chemistry - need to learn many formulas and MECHANISMS!

Geography - need to learn many case studies
amelimoo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just finished AS in English Lit, geography, and biology!!

English lit was a nice break from the science, and I found it fairly straight forward once you get to grips on how to structure your essays! I absolutely loved doing the coursework, although I found the exam quite difficult because it's closed book so you need to learn loads of key quotes and critical comments.

Geography is just like GCSE but more case study detail is needed.

I found biology really interesting but there is ALOT of content to learn, so keep reading over your notes!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by janet_mercy)
So I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Geography for A Level and wanted some opions on these subjects, your experiences, work load, enjoyabilty etc. Thanks in advance 😊
I did geography.
I found it really interesting. I absolutely loved it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (12)
40%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
13.33%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (2)
6.67%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (6)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (3)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
10%

Watched Threads