The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Retake Issues - End of First Year Examination Results

Hi, I hope someone can help me out here. I'm speaking for myself and a friend but I'll briefly outline both our issues, they're somewhat similar.

Both my friend and myself live abroad so when results came out we are currently abroad. Unfortunately for myself my mother broke her arm and is due to undergo surgery on exam results day (no she did not see my results lol). Anyway, I passed overall getting around 55% or so, but I failed one module by 4% (40 is a pass, I got 36). Anyway I am told this has to be re-taken/ referred.

I contacted University as I can't feasibly fly out from the Middle East without spending at least £700+ on flights and then accommodation to resit my exam in August - plus my mother getting surgery I'm the eldest to look after her when my father is away. My friend is in a similar position, living abroad in Honk Kong and has two referred modules but cannot easily fly out.

I was wondering if anyone can help? I've contacted my Uni and my friend will do so soon too. I'm considering emailing my tutor for advice too. UG Support has scared me saying I have to pass all modules to go through despite us both passing overall. I was always told you just need 40% overall.

Regardless, we both don't mind re-sitting if that's the rules but we can't go during summer in August when we already have flights booked for the start of term 1 - year 2.

Let me know if you can add anything or give any sort of advice, deeply appreciated. We're both very worried and it's been bothering us for a while now.
Hi guys, if anyone could advice regarding this would be greatly helpful. Btw, I'm the friend lol.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by BigJohn96
Hi, I hope someone can help me out here. I'm speaking for myself and a friend but I'll briefly outline both our issues, they're somewhat similar.

Both my friend and myself live abroad so when results came out we are currently abroad. Unfortunately for myself my mother broke her arm and is due to undergo surgery on exam results day (no she did not see my results lol). Anyway, I passed overall getting around 55% or so, but I failed one module by 4% (40 is a pass, I got 36). Anyway I am told this has to be re-taken/ referred.

I contacted University as I can't feasibly fly out from the Middle East without spending at least £700+ on flights and then accommodation to resit my exam in August - plus my mother getting surgery I'm the eldest to look after her when my father is away. My friend is in a similar position, living abroad in Honk Kong and has two referred modules but cannot easily fly out.

I was wondering if anyone can help? I've contacted my Uni and my friend will do so soon too. I'm considering emailing my tutor for advice too. UG Support has scared me saying I have to pass all modules to go through despite us both passing overall. I was always told you just need 40% overall.

Regardless, we both don't mind re-sitting if that's the rules but we can't go during summer in August when we already have flights booked for the start of term 1 - year 2.

Let me know if you can add anything or give any sort of advice, deeply appreciated. We're both very worried and it's been bothering us for a while now.

Hi guys,

Sorry to hear about your situation, however you have taken the correct course of action by contacting the university, emailing your tutor is also an excellent route of action. Hopefully arrangements will be made to accommodate you. Additionally if there is too much red tape surrounding this you may want to consider submitting an exception circumstances form before your retake, if no one will move the date into next term for you.

It seems completely justified to submit one under the premise of physically being on the other side of the planet and not being able to afford expensive flights / accommodation.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help.

Josh

Quick Reply

Latest