I cannot stand groups of Asians... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This is a bit of a rant-y post; I'm not trying to be offensive so please bear with me.

I'm an Asian girl at university studying a very academic course and my year group consists of about 40% Asian and 60% white/other .I've been brought up in a really traditional Asian family setting and went to an school with mainly white British people so no bias here.

When I started uni most of my friendship group consisted of Asian girls, which was new to me but I quite liked the really close, almost insular nature of the group. However I've begun to notice that recently I can't stand being a part of big groups of Asians as the group dynamic tends to favour a very gossipy and narrow-minded atmosphere (imagine a milder version of rude-gyal/rude-boy types despite this being a very academic course) The group dynamic is such that most become incredibly judgmental and don't seem to understand the fact that not everyone will act and behave in the way only they deem fit, outside of their small insular bubble; it's incredibly alienating, not to mention frustrating and I just don't have the tolerance for it like I used to (when I just wanted to 'fit in'.

I imagine it's also a case of differing personalities and my growing apart from that group which is normal at this age, but I've spoken to older years and they report very similar types of Asian groups in their years almost to the point where it's become a bit of a stereotype

I Imagine people are going to say to just not hang out with them but at this late stage I feel like I'll lose a big part of my social circle, and it's quite difficult to make new friends or integrate into a new circle as everyone has their bunch of close friends.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? What did you do?
Anonymous #1
Excuse the winky face, thats a typo - running on no sleep here
UnicornSparkle13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree. I don't hang out with Asians very much. Some of my friends are Asian, but they're not like that, so to speak.
username1862217
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not racist or offensive to judge people by their personalities.

You have two choices:
1. Stay with them.
2. Leave them.

Both sides have ups and downs. You will make new friends if you leave, so don't worry too much about that.
Another
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm well aware of this stereotype - I'm kind of part of a "group" like this in my Uni, however I made it absolutely clear right from the start that I have no interest in gossip or drama. If I discovered anyone I knew loved to gossip, or loved to be a judgemental prick, then I'd ditch them and move on.

Pro tip: make friends with the boys, if all the girls in your year are like this. You can still be making new friends during any point in your degree, and they don't necessarily all have to be from your course.
UnicornSparkle13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're in uni! If you're that uncomfortable, ditch them. I did and now I've got both a tight-knit group of best buds as well as a wider circle for good nights out (:
slade p
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well if your not going to stop hanging out with them then stop whining about it.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you mean indians etc? lol

Chinese people be friendly <3
BlindingLight
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This does happen, can relate.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Keyhofi)
It's not racist or offensive to judge people by their personalities.

You have two choices:
1. Stay with them.
2. Leave them.

Both sides have ups and downs. You will make new friends if you leave, so don't worry too much about that.
I've already started to distance myself but it feels quite lonely, but every time I start hanging out with them again I'm reminded why I left in the first place :/
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ChickenMadness)
Do you mean indians etc? lol

Chinese people be friendly <3
Yes Indians, Pakistanis etc
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BlindingLight)
This does happen, can relate.
Are you male or female if you don't mind me asking?
hootkey shira
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What uni? :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
BlindingLight
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Are you male or female if you don't mind me asking?
male.
Moonstruck16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
London uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes Indians, Pakistanis etc
Ye there was a group of them that always hung out with one of my flat mates lol. Their attitudes were really immature and annoying. Big egos, misogynistic and thirsty. Got into a disagreement with one in the first week because he was in our kitchen hassling people for eating pork because it's "disrespectful" and I told him to **** off lmao.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Another)
I'm well aware of this stereotype - I'm kind of part of a "group" like this in my Uni, however I made it absolutely clear right from the start that I have no interest in gossip or drama. If I discovered anyone I knew loved to gossip, or loved to be a judgemental prick, then I'd ditch them and move on.

Pro tip: make friends with the boys, if all the girls in your year are like this. You can still be making new friends during any point in your degree, and they don't necessarily all have to be from your course.
Thanks for your reply. In my experience the attitude is so pervasive and you don't realise the atmosphere is pretty toxic (coz everyone is doing it) until it reaches a point where you just feel exhausted being in the group. Unfortunately most of the boys in the groups aren't much better; they are equally as *****y and tow the party line (I.e. Just do as the girls are doing) although there are a few cool ones dotted here and there and I shall make more of an effort with others.

I've started to distance myself from the group intentionally and unintentionally but it can get quite lonely but when I hang out with them I'm reminded of why I left in the first place :/

Are you make or female if you don't mind me asking?
Anonymous #1
Ye there was a group of them that always hung out with one of my flat mates lol. Their attitudes were really immature and annoying. Big egos, misogynistic and thirsty. Got into a disagreement with one in the first week because he was in our kitchen hassling people for eating pork because it's "disrespectful" and I told him to **** off lmao.
Good on you! People like that are incredibly difficult to be around and just cause unnecessary aggravation - like just worry about your own business for goodness sake, no ones harming you!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Moonstruck16)
London uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, how did you know :rolleyes:
slade p
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha hassling people for eating pork. Obviously they were Pakistanis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads