The Student Room Group

Applying just for clearing

Hi, so I left sixth form with pretty bad results and went straight into an apprenticeship which I've now been doing for 2 years, I've recently decided I don't want to do IT Technical support but more computer programming/ computer games programming. However with my qualifications being poor I was wondering if realistically I would have any chance of getting into uni at all, also if clearing this year is just too unrealistic as there will be thousands of school leavers with good results applying.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ryan1194
Hi, so I left sixth form with not pretty bad results and went straight into an apprenticeship which I've now been doing for 2 years, I've recently decided I don't want to do IT Technical support but more computer programming/ computer games programming. However with my qualifications being poor I was wondering if realistically I would have any chance of getting into uni at all, also if clearing this year is just too unrealistic as there will be thousands of school leavers with good results applying.

Hey there,

Of course you have a chance - have you started doing some research to see what universities will accept you with your current grades? :h: You also have the experience of doing an apprenticeship which may be in your favour - at Staffs for example we are open to mature students who may not have traditional qualifications but other work experience and we consider those applicants on an individual basis.

How long does your apprenticeship last for? Has it finished yet? If not, are you certain that you'd like to drop out of it and apply to uni this year instead? These are quite big decisions to make so don't rush into anything :smile:

Katie

:h:
Reply 2
Eh well I I'm not sure I would get into any with a C in English Language and a merit in the 12 Unit IT, to make it worse I have to wait until the 12th of august to get my proper exam results from the exam officer at my old school, as I'm not sure about the exam boards for all of my GCSE's/ A - Levels for UCAS, so yeah I think this year might be cutting it a bit short haha, but yeah I definitely would like to go at some point.
Original post by ryan1194
Eh well I I'm not sure I would get into any with a C in English Language and a merit in the 12 Unit IT, to make it worse I have to wait until the 12th of august to get my proper exam results from the exam officer at my old school, as I'm not sure about the exam boards for all of my GCSE's/ A - Levels for UCAS, so yeah I think this year might be cutting it a bit short haha, but yeah I definitely would like to go at some point.

Have you actually looked/done some initial research? :smile: That would be a good starting point - then you'll know what your options are in terms of your grades & experience so you'll be in a much better position to decide on what you want to do :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending