Any advice for taking biology, psychology, sociology and philosophy at A level?

Watch
elise68
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm looking for anyone to give me any advice on studying biology psychology, sociology and philosophy at A level as I am going to be starting sixth form in September and would like to know if anyone has any tips or advice on any of these subjects.

I'd be grateful for any advice😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by elise68)
I'm looking for anyone to give me any advice on studying biology psychology, sociology and philosophy at A level as I am going to be starting sixth form in September and would like to know if anyone has any tips or advice on any of these subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biology is pretty heavy on content so learn it as you go along rather than learning it when you revise.
elise68
Rep:
Okay thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mathsfairy
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I took sociology so I had an essay based subject and tbh I hated it a lot. I would describe it as a memory game. I was on WJEC board and you learn a lot of content and only a few questions come up, apparently AQA is more predictable. But my advice would be to make loads of detailed notes, it's not really about understanding like for a science based subject but just remembering hope this helps and good luck next year!
elise68
Rep:
(Original post by Mathsfairy)
I took sociology so I had an essay based subject and tbh I hated it a lot. I would describe it as a memory game. I was on WJEC board and you learn a lot of content and only a few questions come up, apparently AQA is more predictable. But my advice would be to make loads of detailed notes, it's not really about understanding like for a science based subject but just remembering hope this helps and good luck next year!
Okay thank you. Our exam board will be AQA so hopefully I'll be okay! I'll make sure I do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
smegsxo
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I took Biology, Psychology, Sociology and History AS and I can say that all 3 you've chosen are quite content heavy. Psychology and sociology are very similar in my view (in terms of how much to remember and such) and biology was a lot of content and specific terms. My advice would be to choose what you want and do as many past papers as possible and READ THE EXAMINERS REPORT! Sociology is my favourite of the 3 but it requires lots of content to learn for what may be questions on 2 sub topics and nothing else!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lovinlife2
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hey,

I took Biology and Psychology both on the AQA board for A level. Sciences are inevitability going to be pretty difficult, so just make sure that you are refreshing and revising the content as you go along and also it's great idea to do past papers, look at the mark-scheme and examiner's reports as another person said because they tell you which questions you basically need to do well on in effect and what you need in order to get those marks which other candidates didn't catch. Let me just say that the marking for AQA in Sciences can be quite harsh and markscheme answer changes from year to year so just remember key terms that they include in the markscheme and pop them in the answer.

Psychology at A level is very much enjoyable. Biology and Psychology go well together because aspects such as stress which you learn in Psychology, overlap in Biology. Psychology as a whole for me was lovely - I was very much interested in learning the developmental, neurological and behavioural side of humans. Exams at AS are absolutely fine - make sure you thoroughly learn the content and then have a good structure. Underlining words is essential!
Exams at A2 are a slight step at require you to write essays instead of short 8 or 12 mark questions. This can be easily done by revising all the content and names of experimenters, evaluation points etc. Just make sure you actually do the work and don't slack off for A2, because if you don't revise the topic that appear in the exam, then that's quite a bit of marks gone Overall, Psychology is great - you'll love it!

May I say that every mark counts more in Psychology than it does in Biology in my experience, but you must ensure that you enjoy the subjects at AS before deciding to continue them onto A2
elise68
Rep:
(Original post by Lovinlife2)
Hey,

I took Biology and Psychology both on the AQA board for A level. Sciences are inevitability going to be pretty difficult, so just make sure that you are refreshing and revising the content as you go along and also it's great idea to do past papers, look at the mark-scheme and examiner's reports as another person said because they tell you which questions you basically need to do well on in effect and what you need in order to get those marks which other candidates didn't catch. Let me just say that the marking for AQA in Sciences can be quite harsh and markscheme answer changes from year to year so just remember key terms that they include in the markscheme and pop them in the answer.

Psychology at A level is very much enjoyable. Biology and Psychology go well together because aspects such as stress which you learn in Psychology, overlap in Biology. Psychology as a whole for me was lovely - I was very much interested in learning the developmental, neurological and behavioural side of humans. Exams at AS are absolutely fine - make sure you thoroughly learn the content and then have a good structure. Underlining words is essential!
Exams at A2 are a slight step at require you to write essays instead of short 8 or 12 mark questions. This can be easily done by revising all the content and names of experimenters, evaluation points etc. Just make sure you actually do the work and don't slack off for A2, because if you don't revise the topic that appear in the exam, then that's quite a bit of marks gone Overall, Psychology is great - you'll love it!

May I say that every mark counts more in Psychology than it does in Biology in my experience, but you must ensure that you enjoy the subjects at AS before deciding to continue them onto A2
This has been very helpful, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
spiritless98
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I do those subjects but instead of philosophy I do Chemistry
Firstly, what are your future career plans, what do you want to study at university

Biology is content heavy, but is also very enjoyable, I think it is my favourite subject ~ very time consuming

Psychology- at AS is extremely easy, it's easy to get an A however at A2 things get much harder ~ you just need to know your content tbh that's all really

Sociology ~ extremely interesting, heavily essay based and it's quite enjoyable~ definitely recommend it

If you have any questions feel free to PM me

Posted from TSR Mobile
elise68
Rep:
(Original post by spiritless98)
I do those subjects but instead of philosophy I do Chemistry
Firstly, what are your future career plans, what do you want to study at university

Biology is content heavy, but is also very enjoyable, I think it is my favourite subject ~ very time consuming

Psychology- at AS is extremely easy, it's easy to get an A however at A2 things get much harder ~ you just need to know your content tbh that's all really

Sociology ~ extremely interesting, heavily essay based and it's quite enjoyable~ definitely recommend it

If you have any questions feel free to PM me

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would like to become a paediatric nurse and so I would study a children's nursing degree. Thank you for the advice😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
spiritless98
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I would like to become a paediatric nurse and so I would study a children's nursing degree. Thank you for the advice😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to do child nursing, you could go for a much easier option
Level 3 health and social care
A lot of people get into nursing through this route

BUT you can keep your options open just incase you change your mind By doing A levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
elise68
Rep:
(Original post by spiritless98)
If you want to do child nursing, you could go for a much easier option
Level 3 health and social care
A lot of people get into nursing through this route

BUT you can keep your options open just incase you change your mind By doing A levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
They do this subject at my school but not many people are going to be studying it so I hadn't heard much about it which is why I didn't consider it. However, having just looked at the column structure it is in the same column as philosophy and I am very interested in that subject and so I don't think I will change it. Thank you for helping though😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chipchoccookie
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Don't make the mistake of doing biology, unless it's absolutely necessary. Unless you want to do medicine or dentistry. The content levels are insane for it.
Psychology however is amazing
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
As no-one's mentioned philosophy, I shall.

Philosophy - learn how to write the essays. genuinely, write so so sooo many of them because you can lose such simple marks for the tiniest things in philosophy essays. Apart from that, it rocks
elise68
Rep:
(Original post by Chipchoccookie)
Don't make the mistake of doing biology, unless it's absolutely necessary. Unless you want to do medicine or dentistry. The content levels are insane for it.
Psychology however is amazing
I'm hoping to do children's nursing at uni and although it isn't essential to do a science, I do actually like the subject... But I dread to think what it will be like at a level haha. Thank you anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
jonsnow:(
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Biology is basically memorisation - learn everything, ask if you don't understand, make GOOD simple quick notes on topics so you don't have to learn a whole textbook a month before exams. Also make sure you learn what's on the specification and not more - sometimes textbooks add in extra that you don't need because they're from an old spec. so check against the spec you're doing so you don't waste time.

Seriously, I hated Biology but just memorise your notes and do past papers and you are good to go.
If you want to be a nurse I don't think Biology is needed? Have a look a different courses you might want to go into and see what they want.
elise68
Rep:
(Original post by Inexorably)
As no-one's mentioned philosophy, I shall.

Philosophy - learn how to write the essays. genuinely, write so so sooo many of them because you can lose such simple marks for the tiniest things in philosophy essays. Apart from that, it rocks
Okay, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
elise68
Rep:
(Original post by jonsnow:()
Biology is basically memorisation - learn everything, ask if you don't understand, make GOOD simple quick notes on topics so you don't have to learn a whole textbook a month before exams. Also make sure you learn what's on the specification and not more - sometimes textbooks add in extra that you don't need because they're from an old spec. so check against the spec you're doing so you don't waste time.

Seriously, I hated Biology but just memorise your notes and do past papers and you are good to go.
If you want to be a nurse I don't think Biology is needed? Have a look a different courses you might want to go into and see what they want.
I know that it isn't essential to do it but it was one of my stronger subjects at GCSE and I don't think there's any other subject that I would like to do. Thank you anyway😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
KaylaB
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I do Maths, Chemistry, History and Philosophy, and I have to say, do not underestimate Philosophy.

It is very content heavy, practice is the key. Do as many essays as you can and keep going over the topics and remember key details and case studies and quotations.

Good Luck!
elise68
Rep:
(Original post by KaylaB)
Yeah I do Maths, Chemistry, History and Philosophy, and I have to say, do not underestimate Philosophy.

It is very content heavy, practice is the key. Do as many essays as you can and keep going over the topics and remember key details and case studies and quotations.

Good Luck!
Okay, thank you very much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.68%
Okay (119)
29.53%
A bit lacking (153)
37.97%
Not good at all (92)
22.83%

Watched Threads