The Student Room Group

3 As levels

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but was wondering if anyone could help.
I'm in year 12 and want to do medicine but I only did 3 As's how badly would this hinder my application?
Thanks
Original post by the beygency
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but was wondering if anyone could help.
I'm in year 12 and want to do medicine but I only did 3 As's how badly would this hinder my application?
Thanks

I've moved this to an appropriate forum where you should get more responses :smile:

First of all, I think your post is a bit unclear. Could you specify what you mean by 3 As's? Do you mean 3 AS subjects?
Reply 2
Original post by Eloades11
I've moved this to an appropriate forum where you should get more responses :smile:

First of all, I think your post is a bit unclear. Could you specify what you mean by 3 As's? Do you mean 3 AS subjects?

Hi thanks, ya sorry thats what i should have said, 3 AS-levels. They are Biology, Chemistry and Maths
(edited 8 years ago)
its fine
I think it's more about the grades/ucas points you achieved :smile: it would be worth looking at the requirements for the courses you're interested in and that'll help you get a better idea of how to get in :smile:
Hi thanks, ya sorry thats what i should have said, 3 AS-levels. They are Biology, Chemistry and Maths

Those are exactly what you need.
Reply 6
Thanks

Some universities have as a requirement for medicine 3 A levels (AS and A2) and a pass in a fourth AS, so before applying check the requirements on ucas or here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement
Hope you find this helpful
Hey!
3 AS-levels are sufficient! :smile:

Some universities look at 4 AS-levels so make sure you check the entry requirements. Also, Medicine as you know is extremely competitive, when you start going to open days, find out from Admissions what makes an application stand out eg. Extended Project Qualification etc.

A friend of mine did 3 A-levels for Medicine but he also did a host of other things like the EPQ (remember its an AS equivalent), work experience and also attended various lectures and talks.

Also, Medicine Universities look at grades not number of A-levels so if you smash your exams (in the good way) and make your application stand out, they wont have a reason to decline you.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks

I did 3 AS Levels and I comfortably got into my university - they only really look at your three full A Levels, it's only the lower universities that you might benefit doing four from as they look more at UCAS points. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest