The Student Room Group

Is there any point of studying a PPE degree if it's not at Oxford?

Is there really any point?
Original post by Real_jenn

I think UCL and LSE offer it now? If so, yes
I know that it's very established at York and they have some notable alumni from it (think they were the second department for PPE in the country, after Oxford). They also offer it at Warwick, Durham, UCL and LSE among other leading universities. A degree in PPE from any of these universities would be very much worth it, don't you think?

The department at York is very established and influential so that it's become known among many, I believe, as being "the" place to go after Oxford; I wouldn't exactly call this pointless.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Dylank96
I know that it's very established at York and they have some notable alumni from it (think they were the second department for PPE in the country, after Oxford). They also offer it at Warwick, Durham, UCL and LSE among other leading universities. A degree in PPE from any of these universities would be very much worth it, don't you think?

The department at York is very established and influential so that it's become known among many, I believe, as being "the" place after Oxford; I would exactly call this pointless.

Thank you soo much,very informative also ☺️👏
What can you do with a PPE degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cathartic
What can you do with a PPE degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Policitian, any career leading from economics, etc.
PPE was first designed at Oxford in the 1920's for something more modern for the civil service than learning about the gods and morality by studying classics and ancient history.

Adding Oxford to politics, it is the obvious route to a career in the cabinet, and currently obvious with David Cameron and previously Ed Miliband, leader of the opposition.

As mentioned before, York has an established programme and recently the LSE and UCL have began their own PPE courses because of the Oxford's popularity, there is now a whole host of universities that offer PPE.

In the 2nd and 3rd years you can choose two of the subjects so economics and philosophy, politics and philosophy but most popular is politics and economics.

It is a great subject to work in local government or in Whitehall.
The best a-level subjects for PPE are: history, law and maths (+further maths).

History for political events such as the world wars and imperialism in Asia and Africa etc.

Law as this is essentially what the function of parliament is, i.e. creating new laws.

Mathematics for economics. Some go as far as considering economics a branch of math
On TSR probably not, but in the real world yes if you enjoy the subjects, the subjects complement each other, you will be a better rounded economist if you have a good understanding of those other subjects.
Reply 9
Original post by Real_jenn

The question is, why do you want to study PPE? Is it because you actually enjoy each subject? If so, then yes, go for it. Oxford isn’t the be all and end all, and while Oxford’s PPE course is very good for getting into Westminster, it isn’t the only way, and equally it isn’t the be all and end all.

If you actually enjoy the subjects, then go for it.
If I got a first in PPE from Oxford, I would head to the city and work in sovereign debt restructuring then go to Princeton for their MFin programme and then boss it on Wall St. for a few years then go buy an island to live on.
This film 'The reluctant fundamentalist' is about a Oxford PPE scholar who went to Princeton who after becoming angered by the west when working on Wall Street becomes a professor in Pakistan.

https://youtu.be/7SQs2Y8drP8

It's an interesting film, and you should find it online at putlocker.is
Reply 12
I think they are brand new courses so it's risky to apply to them given that their PPE courses haven't developed a rep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending