Are universities allowed to discriminate by first language?

Watch
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
As above.
Thisguy11
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dont think so, but if you are not a home student, you may have to take some test to prove your English is good enough. Check the unis page for more info
Mactotaur
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Thisguy11)
I dont think so, but if you are not a home student, you may have to take some test to prove your English is good enough. Check the unis page for more info
Most of them do this, though the test as far as I know is very simple.
Withengar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Universities don't plainly discriminate based on your first language. You're most likely going to be required to take a test that proves your English proficiency and ability. Past that, there's no difference between you and anyone whose first language is English.

However, if your verbal and written English skills aren't sufficient, regardless of your test result, you might find yourself in a difficult position seeing how you'll be having your lectures in English. You need to make sure not only to pass the test, but also to improve your practical English to a sufficient degree.
The Warsmith
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But what if you're not local, lived here for 10+ years, and came first in the your year at GCSE English?
arcenciel21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They really wouldnt, every university has a requirement that you have to pass IELTS/TOEFL or one of the other English tests. As long as you pass the test with their required minimum, they dont care. Theyre not going to be like 'ah his first language isnt english. not giving him an offer then' unless the admissions tutor is a BNP member or something...lol.
username1560589
Rep:
?
(Original post by Withengar)
Universities don't plainly discriminate based on your first language. You're most likely going to be required to take a test that proves your English proficiency and ability. Past that, there's no difference between you and anyone whose first language is English.

However, if your verbal and written English skills aren't sufficient, regardless of your test result, you might find yourself in a difficult position seeing how you'll be having your lectures in English. You need to make sure not only to pass the test, but also to improve your practical English to a sufficient degree.
(Original post by arcenciel21)
They really wouldnt, every university has a requirement that you have to pass IELTS/TOEFL or one of the other English tests. As long as you pass the test with their required minimum, they dont care. Theyre not going to be like 'ah his first language isnt english. not giving him an offer then' unless the admissions tutor is a BNP member or something...lol.
I meant are they legally allowed to discriminate? My first language is English and I have 86/90 in PTE. My firm's website says I need 60/90 but now they say that they won't accept it because my first language is English. Are they allowed to hold me to a higher standard?
arcenciel21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)
I meant are they legally allowed to discriminate? My first language is English and I have 86/90 in PTE. My firm's website says I need 60/90 but now they say that they won't accept it because my first language is English. Are they allowed to hold me to a higher standard?
I am so confused right now... why did you take a PTE if your first language is English?
username1560589
Rep:
?
I am so confused right now... why did you take a PTE if your first language is English?
I failed GCSE and IGCSE English.
arcenciel21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
But what if you're not local, lived here for 10+ years, and came first in the your year at GCSE English?
They dont ask for a language test if you've had your previous education done in England.
arcenciel21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I failed GCSE and IGCSE English.
Omg. Well then of course they are not going to accept a PTE. A PTE is a foreign language test and is completely different to a GCSE English... GCSE English is not a 'language' requirement, it is a subject requirement, and they don't need you to show them you have done a language test, since they already know English is your first language. It is not acceptable as a substitute for a GCSE. By that logic, nobody would have to take GCSE English since English is their first language anyway lol.
username1560589
Rep:
?
Omg. Well then of course they are not going to accept a PTE. A PTE is a foreign language test and is completely different to a GCSE English... GCSE English is not a 'language' requirement, it is a subject requirement, and they don't need you to show them you have done a language test, since they already know English is your first language. It is not acceptable as a substitute for a GCSE. By that logic, nobody would have to take GCSE English since English is their first language anyway lol.
The course page's entry requirements do not include a GCSE English requirement so I don't think it's given as a subject requirement. However the English language requirements page includes it as an option so I think it's given as an English language requirement.

Can someone answer my original question please?
arcenciel21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The course page's entry requirements do not include a GCSE English requirement so I don't think it's given as a subject requirement. However the English language requirements page includes it as an option so I think it's given as an English language requirement.

Can someone answer my original question please?
GCSE English is a requirement at every uni.

And your question cannot be answered because it does not make sense. They are not rejecting you because you didnt score well enough in your PTE and they expect you to have done better. They just dont accept native speakers doing a PTE at all since it makes no sense and serves no purpose. They know you speak English and they dont want you taking a PTE to prove it. Lets be honest they did not ask for it. Its for foreign people to prove they can speak English.
username1560589
Rep:
?
GCSE English is a requirement at every uni.

And your question cannot be answered because it does not make sense. They are not rejecting you because you didnt score well enough in your PTE and they expect you to have done better. They just dont accept native speakers doing a PTE at all since it makes no sense and serves no purpose. They know you speak English and they dont want you taking a PTE to prove it. Lets be honest they did not ask for it. Its for foreign people to prove they can speak English.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/unde...pply/language/
Read the first two paragraphs.
arcenciel21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/unde...pply/language/
Read the first two paragraphs.
Are you serious right now?

That is for foreign people whose first language is not English. They have to prove they can speak English so they have to take a language test like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE.

You are a native speaker who had their previous education in the English language, therefore you don't have to take any of these exams. Admissions tutors already know you can speak English.

GCSE English is a subject requirement for EVERY university in the UK, ESPECIALLY Warwick. There is no way you can get into Warwick with a failed English GCSE.

A PTE/other foreign language qualifications are not substitutes for a GCSE in English. They didn't reject you because they wanted you to do better in the PTE. You could get 100% on it and they still wouldn't accept it because that qualification DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU. It isn't acceptable for a native speaker to take a language test.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (94)
28.31%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.25%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.94%
No - I live at home during term anyway (99)
29.82%

Watched Threads