Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i am ib student
i cannot choose french or spanish which one is easy
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did both for GCSE, and am doing french for AS/A2, but I had a major advantage in French, what with being half french and all. I did spanish in 2 years, and got an A in it, but should have got an A*. I think spanish grammar is simpler (less accents, and complex verbs etc.) but French is easier to speak.

Phil
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
neither

love Katy ***
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My sister is doing both languages A level and onto degree...

I am also currently studying both languages but when chosing my GCSE options I decided to drop one because I really don't have a talent for languages and doing both would probably just confuse me (that damned y and et will always be my downfall!)

Anyhow...I am now doing spanish because supposedly it is easier (cha!)...I was adviced to go for this because spanish is phonetic -eg the words are normally spelled as they sound (exception things like 'll' etc)...but then again, my sister is currently in spain for an exchange, and apparently the speech is incredably fast and she is now having serious doubts about whether she will be able to cope with the language...I think french is slower?

Anyway...I have once again mumbled on about a sibling *sigh* without really ending up giving the 'useful' advice I had intended...*someone shut me up!*
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
French and Spanish both have the problem that people from different regions have very strong regional accents and differnet dialects. they also tend to get excited easily, and when they get excited, they talk so fast its a joke, and especially with Spanish though, the men have the thickest accent ever, which is impossible to understand. Still, it seems I'm just babbling on so I'll just shut up know.

Phil
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did french and spanish for GCSEs. Found Spanish a bit easier than it could have been, as some stuff it similar to french. Probably still prefer french. Did it for AS, and enjoyed mainly speaking the language.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They're both really nice languages to speak. I'd say spanish is more useful though, as so many people speak spanish, e.g. spain, south america, mexico, etc.

Phil
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hiya I've just done spanish A2 and to be honest neither option is an easy one. If you want to do well you will have to work so hard. However, saying that, my friends that did both spanish and french found french easier. Also some of my teachers reckon they mark spanish papers harder cos there are more spanish native speakers taking the exams.
Gina17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i have never tried to learn spanish although my mum did it once she enjoyed it!!

i thought french was quite easy to learn but the teacher we had never wanted to teach us more french he just wanted us to know just enough to pass the exam!!
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If it helps, I did French and German for GCSE (A*, A*) and found French much easier and 'nicer': I'm now studying it for AS.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.1%
No (603)
65.9%

Watched Threads