making a firm choice when unsure on uni and the course?

Watch
Nat_LPS
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have yet to choose a firm and insurance out of the offer i've had. throughout this whole application process i've been really unsure about going to uni, my grades were ACC last year but working out what i like without thinking how bad i was at it has been a problem, i can't seem to clearly see what interests me. I don't have a back up plan should i not go this year, though i suppose try to find any work. I don't think a gap year will help as i've been trying to be ok with a course choice for quite some time already. Maybe jumping into one i was alright at just to give it a go even if i didn't really feel great about learning more about it would be something i should do, it's so unreliable when my belief or idea of what i like depends on how difficult i find it, even if i have no problem working for it, in fact i prefer this. i'm just really confused, as it is, i have offers for three different courses, though two are quite simillar. They're good offers, considering my grades an lateness, i don't know how bad it would be not to go for it. Any advice? i have til 6pm tomorrow to chose a firm, i.e to decide whether and which course i should study. I'm worried about how unbothered i seem, how i just want to forget about going, it's really clouding my judgement. Any advice at all asap would be hugely appreciated.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nat_LPS)
i'm currently a late applicant and have yet to choose a firm and insurance out of the offer i've had. throughout this whole application process i've been really unsure about going to uni, my grades were ACC last year but working out what i like without thinking how bad i was at it has been a problem, i can't seem to clearly see what interests me. I don't have a back up plan should i not go this year, though i suppose try to find any work. I don't think a gap year will help as i've been trying to be ok with a course choice for quite some time already. Maybe jumping into one i was alright at just to give it a go even if i didn't really feel great about learning more about it would be something i should do, it's so unreliable when my belief or idea of what i like depends on how difficult i find it, even if i have no problem working for it, in fact i prefer this. i'm just really confused, as it is, i have offers for three different courses, though two are quite simillar. They're good offers, considering my grades an lateness, i don't know how bad it would be not to go for it. Any advice? i have til 6pm tomorrow to chose a firm, i.e to decide whether and which course i should study. I'm worried about how unbothered i seem, how i just want to forget about going, it's really clouding my judgement. Any advice at all asap would be hugely appreciated.
I d sit down when a pen and paper and make a list of pros and cons of each potential option, can sometimes really help when you ve got it written down in front of you.
Nat_LPS
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
I d sit down when a pen and paper and make a list of pros and cons of each potential option, can sometimes really help when you ve got it written down in front of you.

I'm trying, it's hard finding much positive things to say i don't know why

i've tried so long to pick a course, i don't even know which one to just go for to see how it goes, and i picked similar ones so the personal statement would fit. even if i don't get accepted after results i wouldn't know which courses to ask about

this second year i lost quite a lot of interest in the one i was most interested in before (because i found it easier, probably, but it is still a bit interesting, but i dont think i want to know anymore), and gained interst in those i was working to improve most in, i ended up considering any possible course open to me and it's just hard to clarify which ones are a good idea to go for and which ones aren't. Becaasue i don't know which course, i don't know whether i should go to uni, should i still make a firm choice?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

i've tried so long to pick a course, i don't even know which one to just go for to see how it goes, and i picked similar ones so the personal statement would fit. even if i don't get accepted after results i wouldn't know which courses to ask about

this second year i lost quite a lot of interest in the one i was most interested in before (because i found it easier, probably, but it is still a bit interesting, but i dont think i want to know anymore), and gained interst in those i was working to improve most in, i ended up considering any possible course open to me and it's just hard to clarify which ones are a good idea to go for and which ones aren't. Becaasue i don't know which course, i don't know whether i should go to uni, should i still make a firm choice?
You say you don't want a gap year. Yet the alternative appears to be ending up with 50k of debt after studying a subject you are not sure you even like. Is that sensible?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Have you posted thread on here in the uni section for each course, seeing what other people like about those courses and unis could still help?
Well if you re not 100% sure then i would say be careful in your choice, uni is an expensive thing after all but if your up for giving that course a really good try and have a decent interest in it then i suppose its worth a try.
Nat_LPS
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
You say you don't want a gap year. Yet the alternative appears to be ending up with 50k of debt after studying a subject you are not sure you even like. Is that sensible?

i just wasn't sure how it would help me decide on a course
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i just wasn't sure how it would help me decide on a course
It might not. However, it might save you 50k.
maryamzahid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was in the same position when I was applying for university in 2013, I picked law thinking it would be the best career option for me, ended up regretting the decision as I did not like it.
So I suggest you sit down and think about what interests you, like seriously interests you enough for you to pursue a career in it. You never know, you might not even have to go to university to do it
Nat_LPS
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
It might not. However, it might save you 50k.

That makes sense. That was the main reason i took so long to apply i think. if i did firm and get in, i think i would still be questioning it, maybe even more. i know you can withdraw before clearing but i'm till not sure whether i should think more about the course or not. Even if i firm and insure one/2 i need to pick between the three courses. Obviously i'd jus have to go for any two at the end but yeah i think i'd be in the same situationas now
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That makes sense. That was the main reason i took so long to apply i think. if i did firm and get in, i think i would still be questioning it, maybe even more. i know you can withdraw before clearing but i'm till not sure whether i should think more about the course or not. Even if i firm and insure one/2 i need to pick between the three courses. Obviously i'd jus have to go for any two at the end but yeah i think i'd be in the same situationas now
Sounds to me like you need to go right back to basics. Wat do you want to study? Why do you want to study it? What career/personal aims do you have?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads