The Student Room Group

Is it plagiarism for using my 5k word undergrad essay in my 10k word postrgrad?

Hi guys, I submitted a 5k mini-dissertation to TurnItIn at undergrad level for law. Will I be penalised for submitting a 10k dissertation to TurnItin at post-grad level if I use most of the undergrad dissertation in this one??
Reply 1
I've been told that it is plagiarism if you're taking something from a separate piece of work, regardless of whether it is your own. Talk to professors perhaps to confirm this, but don't copy anything until you have received the go ahead.
Original post by OllyBiesst
Hi guys, I submitted a 5k mini-dissertation to TurnItIn at undergrad level for law. Will I be penalised for submitting a 10k dissertation to TurnItin at post-grad level if I use most of the undergrad dissertation in this one??

yes, they call it self plagrarism. so you d technically have to either reference yourself constantly like journals tend to reference their own previous work or not use your work at all i m afraid as turnitin would pick it up.
Yes, this is plagiarism.

Talk to a lecturer, but generally universities won't allow you to submit the same piece of work twice for different years/modules.
Reply 4
Oh dear. What if it's at a different university, does that matter?
Reply 5
Essay.uk.com is a site where you can learn from other people's essays.
Oh dear. What if it's at a different university, does that matter?

I'd say so on a hunch - but speak to your lecturer as they'll know what the rules are :smile: :yy:
Reply 7
Wow guys thanks so much for the response. 1 final question. I'm planning to take almost the opposite direction with this paper than I did at undergrad. As a result, if once I'm done and I run through one of those turnitin plagiarism checkers, and it's sufficiently low, I assume that'll be fine? Can you write 2 papers contradicting yourself?? Or does that seem fishy haha :colondollar: Serious question, though :smile:
Wow guys thanks so much for the response. 1 final question. I'm planning to take almost the opposite direction with this paper than I did at undergrad. As a result, if once I'm done and I run through one of those turnitin plagiarism checkers, and it's sufficiently low, I assume that'll be fine? Can you write 2 papers contradicting yourself?? Or does that seem fishy haha :colondollar: Serious question, though :smile:

i think even at a different uni turnitin would still pick up that you used your own work so i would say use as little as possible and maybe speak to your dissertaiton supervisor to see whats okay and what isnt.

You can contradict yourself - the problem is if you're reusing chunks of previous work as this will get picked up by plagiarism checkers. I'd really speak to your lecturer as they'll know for sure :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending