The Student Room Group

I have no friends

So this is hugely embarassing for me, never thought I'd be posting something like this here as I'm way too proud and stubborn, but I only realised the extent of my problems today.

I literally don't have any friends. When I left school I went to college and went through a really rough time in my life. The friends i made were all into the wrong things and it's something that I got caught up with. When I realised that I wanted more for myself I stopped going to college and ended up dropping out. There were more reasons for that decision but I ain't got all day.

For the past year, I've been going to sixth form. It's quite an upper class place which I don't really fit into personality wise. They're a close knit group and I only ended up making one small group of friends which I've never been that close with. Everyone here is so immature and I can't get over it. For the past few years I've had to grow up really quickly; care for my mum, work 2 jobs, deal with real life problems. People don't understand anything of the real world and it's so difficult to be around.

Of course now it's the holidays and it's taken me this long to realise the problem. I'm a workaholic, so I can happily get caught up in work when I have it (don't have a job atm for medical reasons), so the problem isn't really prominent during term time. Now I have nobody to talk to, nothing to do. I literally haven't got dressed in 4 days. I don't enjoy anything any more and I'm getting lazier by the day. Fortunately, I'm saved at the weekends as I go to see my boyfriend, but he lives 50 miles away and works full time (he's 21), so it's not an option for the rest of the week.

TL;DR - I have got no friends at all and I've done nothing for the past 4 days

WTF do I do now??
Reply 1
Are there any interesting clubs or groups you could join? Or, failing that, could you try to set one up? Organising a group is a lot of work, so it might appeal to your workaholic side temporarily even if it isn't a particularly long term thing (as well as potentially helping you find new friends) Volunteer work somewhere might at least help you pass the time and meet some new people, if your reasons for not working this summer don't make that too difficult.

If possible, finding reasons to get dressed at least once every four days will probably help you avoid getting too bored in the short term. Just trips to shops or libraries every few days can help, and visiting the same places repeatedly can help you to notice other people who do the same things. Also, upper class immature people can be annoying, but sometimes they're not as bad as they seem at first. Sometimes. It might be worth asking them about groups you might find interesting.

As a side note, not being too proud or stubborn to bring this sort of thing up is probably going to make the rest of your life a lot easier, so well done and keep up the good work! :wink:

If it's not too personal a question, have you thought of asking your boyfriend for advice on any of this? Somebody who knows you is probably in a better position to give you advice than anybody here.

Those were all the ideas I can think of so far. I hope this is at least vaguely helpful, and I'll check back if I think of anything else....
It's sad that you feel so. But I have to say, not being mean or what, that despite 'not having friends' you manage to have a boyfriend even and you have mentioned a few groups of people you do talk to occasionally. As a huge loner myself I can say I have even less friends and in school I spent weeks not uttering a word. In school I never had any friends. Now I have two people I occasionally talk to via e-mail and meet with them once in a few years. I do not even know if they think of me as a friend. I think, we all are different, but it's a reccuring theme I have noticed that people say they have no friends, but end up mentioning at least a few people, in your case, at least you have a boyfriend. So that is already good, do not bother making friends with people who are not worth your attention. If you have at least one true loving person it is enough, I believe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending