The Student Room Group

Do people have the right to know if their partner is transgender?

Poll

Should transgender people reveal to people before a sexual relationship or any relationship

So do people have the right to know if someone is a transsexual before any sexual or love relationship is pursued?

Personally I believe they do because many people have strong views about having sexual intercourse with a member of the same sex.

What do you think? Would you want to know? And at what point In the relationship?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The two eds
So do people have the right to know if someone is a transsexual before any sexual or love relationship is pursued?

Personally I believe they do because many people have strong views about having sexual intercourse with a member of the same sex.

What do you think? Would you want to know? And at what point In the relationship?

You let us all know when you think the moment's right :wink:
No. There are no rights outside of those created by the law.

Edit: though fwiw I think as a matter of trust this should be disclosed in any mid- or longer-term relationship.
Reply 3
Yes they should. Although it remains a very grey area in the law and it's a very complicated subject, the non-disclosure of their gender can revoke any consent give meaning it would be rape by deception. This is a very simplified interpretation of the law set out by the CPS and obviously there are many variables taken into consideration too.
By law, I don't think so.

By ethics, certainly yes.
Yeah. I'de sleep with, but I would not have a long-term-relationship with a trans-person.
Yes,deceit never good in a relationship.
Well it depends, I don't think anyone should have to reveal it right away, it things are heading towards a long term serious relationship I assume it would be something that the person would feel comfortable sharing, but immediately no, why should anyone be so open about themselves to a stranger anyway? Would you be? probably not, same rule applies to the transgender community.
Having a gender change would affect someone so greatly and be such a significant part of someone's life that it would make me wonder how two people could be in a serious relationship with it being a secret.
Though, I think someone has more right to keep something like that private than someone else does to know about it, particularly if it is a casual thing.

To anyone, being perceived purely as the gender they feel they are and identify with is important. It forms a huge part of how we see ourselves. Why take away someone's right to that by forcing them to acknowledge and reveal how they were before?
My preferred method of dealing with this is to ask to see baby photos.
It's about whether you like the person, not just for what's in their pants.
If I liked the person, I would like to think it wouldn't bother me, but then again it might, only because I'm not used to situations like this.
Original post by pineneedles
Having a gender change would affect someone so greatly and be such a significant part of someone's life that it would make me wonder how two people could be in a serious relationship with it being a secret.
Though, I think someone has more right to keep something like that private than someone else does to know about it, particularly if it is a casual thing.

To anyone, being perceived purely as the gender they feel they are and identify with is important. It forms a huge part of how we see ourselves. Why take away someone's right to that by forcing them to acknowledge and reveal how they were before?

If we're gonna invent rights, then what about a person's right to know who they're getting into a relationship with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course they do
Reminds me of the story of this guy in china who married a chick and had a kid with her, she had plastic surgery before they met and the kid came out all weird like and he divorced her because of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pineneedles

Original post by donutellme
If we're gonna invent rights, then what about a person's right to know who they're getting into a relationship with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say people have no right to know who they're getting into a relationship with, I simply believe the emboldened statement. Ethically, it'd be wrong to hide something like that from someone you love.
trans people have no obligation to reveal their past before getting into a relationship. Some might, to ensure that their partner will be supportive before getting involved with them.

Also some of the responses in this thread are so gross
Original post by Odd socks
trans people have no obligation to reveal their past before getting into a relationship. Some might, to ensure that their partner will be supportive before getting involved with them.

Also some of the responses in this thread are so gross

You wouldn't want to know your partners past? It can be a deal breaker for most people, just like someone having a criminal record.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You wouldn't want to know your partners past? It can be a deal breaker for most people, just like someone having a criminal record.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You think people have obligations to reveal criminal records to their partners? I mean, employers, sure, but partners? Surely not!
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
You think people have obligations to reveal criminal records to their partners? I mean, employers, sure, but partners? Surely not!

Of course they do!! You want to marry a rapist/murderer/thief?
Of course they do!! You want to marry a rapist/murderer/thief?

Not necessarily, but to frame it as an obligation is ridiculous. Plus, I assume that anyone will google their partner at least once before marriage, and more serious crimes will show up through there.

FWIW I think a reasonable person in the criminal's position ought to be willing to mention it if it arose in the course of conversation, but there's no need to bring it up themselves - "hi, I'm cooking carbonara for dinner, is that okay? Cool, by the way, I killed a man".

Posted from TSR Mobile

a criminal record isn't the same as being transgender. A partner being trans would be no big deal to me at all :nah:

I would respect their privacy and if they wanted to tell me they could do it in their own time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending