The Student Room Group

Boyfriend being charged EXTORTIONATE rent from his parents

We're both 18 and we are going into our second year at college.

He currently has a Saturday job that only pays him £20 for 4 hours (£5 an hour, being underpaid by 13p). Previously he was only paid £15 (£3.75 an hour, underpaid by £1.38) however I bugged him to ask his work for a raise which they have given but it's still under minimum wage.

He isn't given any dinner money or money for art supplies by his parents, his wages have to pay for his day to day living. Dinner costs around £3 which means that £12 already goes towards his dinner and that's not even including the printing costs or art supplies he has to buy.When his wage went up, his parents told him he has to pay £10 a week rent. When working in his previous job earning £30 a week (he was out of college for a bit) he had to give his parents £20 a week rent.

I'm just a little concerned because it's really difficult for us to do things together such as go to comicons or concerts as I am the one that usually ends up paying. I don't really mind because I earn £40 a week but he finds it upsetting he can't take me out for meals or buy things for himself.

I told him to ask his parents about getting his child tax benefit back however he just told me 'there's no point'. I just want advice of what's legal and what he can do because he's just about struggling to pay for his day to day living, never mind luxuries....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He can work more hours? Come on... Four hours a week, you can't complain that you are not earning enough to live and enjoy your life. I'm guessing he's doing an art course at college, so that's three days a week, right? If so, why can't he work the other two days. Also, can he not work more hours on the Saturday?

To be fair though, child tax benefit is huge compared to £10 a week... I'd be questioning why the hell they went off it if they are entitled to it. Also, do they rely on that £10 a week? Seems like such a small amount to cover bills, food etc...

Anyway, he is 18, you cannot legally force his parents to give him dinner money or anything like that; he's an adult now! His parents do seem uptight though, I mean the fact that they don't even provide him a meal really does say something. But anyway, the only thing he can really do is work more hours, if he can't be bothered then he doesn't deserve any luxuries. If he can't get any more hour at his current place, then he can apply elsewhere, it's not rocket science!
Reply 2
Original post by kbkasey
He can work more hours? Come on... Four hours a week, you can't complain that you are not earning enough to live and enjoy your life. I'm guessing he's doing an art course at college, so that's three days a week, right? If so, why can't he work the other two days. Also, can he not work more hours on the Saturday?

To be fair though, child tax benefit is huge compared to £10 a week... I'd be questioning why the hell they went off it if they are entitled to it. Also, do they rely on that £10 a week? Seems like such a small amount to cover bills, food etc...

Anyway, he is 18, you cannot legally force his parents to give him dinner money or anything like that; he's an adult now! His parents do seem uptight though, I mean the fact that they don't even provide him a meal really does say something. But anyway, the only thing he can really do is work more hours, if he can't be bothered then he doesn't deserve any luxuries. If he can't get any more hour at his current place, then he can apply elsewhere, it's not rocket science!

Work won't pay him more than £20 a week, they just won't give him more than 4 hours of work. He's asked about more hours but they said they don't have the money to pay him. They've also promised him a permanent full-time job when he leaves college (although I'm suspicious) so his parents have told him he's not allowed to switch jobs.

His parents still get child tax benefit and they live in a quite nice house (Bought for approx £130k-£170k up north).
Original post by Anonymous
Work won't pay him more than £20 a week, they just won't give him more than 4 hours of work. He's asked about more hours but they said they don't have the money to pay him. They've also promised him a permanent full-time job when he leaves college (although I'm suspicious) so his parents have told him he's not allowed to switch jobs.

His parents still get child tax benefit and they live in a quite nice house (Bought for approx £130k-£170k up north).

Tell him to search for jobs in secret then. Tell him to try to find a 16 hour weekend job and then get him to take it and then he can tell his parents. They're obviously gullible to believe this company which is exploiting him for his time is going to give him a full time job.
It does sound harsh but without knowing the circumstances and motivation, hard to say either way.

When I was that age at college I was working 16 hrs a week at the weekends while at college.
I didn't pay housekeeping but bought all my own clothes.
It could be that the benefit it's getting stopped next month if he's turned 18 or possibly already been stopped.
. I think as an adult he should sit down and have a frank conversation about what is affordable for both of them.
If he were to move out it d be more than £10 a week rent for sure, if they ve not finished paying off the mortgage this it could be at least £500 a month so living in a nice house doesn't mean they ve no debt I m afraid.
Reply 6
Original post by marco14196
Tell him to search for jobs in secret then. Tell him to try to find a 16 hour weekend job and then get him to take it and then he can tell his parents. They're obviously gullible to believe this company which is exploiting him for his time is going to give him a full time job.

They'd go nuts! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by domonict
It does sound harsh but without knowing the circumstances and motivation, hard to say either way.

When I was that age at college I was working 16 hrs a week at the weekends while at college.
I didn't pay housekeeping but bought all my own clothes.

Considering they don't even pay him minimum wage though...
Reply 8
Original post by claireestelle
It could be that the benefit it's getting stopped next month if he's turned 18 or possibly already been stopped.
. I think as an adult he should sit down and have a frank conversation about what is affordable for both of them.
If he were to move out it d be more than £10 a week rent for sure, if they ve not finished paying off the mortgage this it could be at least £500 a month so living in a nice house doesn't mean they ve no debt I m afraid.

Child tax benefit doesn't stop when you're 18, it's until you move out or turn 21 (in their situation). He can't support himself on £20 a week. I'd move out with him if I could but I'm not allowed. Why should they make him pay money towards the house when they're the ones that chose the most pricey house in the area?
Child tax benefit doesn't stop when you're 18, it's until you move out or turn 21 (in their situation). He can't support himself on £20 a week. I'd move out with him if I could but I'm not allowed. Why should they make him pay money towards the house when they're the ones that chose the most pricey house in the area?

He is costing them money. He isn't just paying towards the house - he's paying towards food, water, heating, etc.
So his parents have told him he must pay them half of his wages, but also that he is not allowed to change jobs? How old are you guys?

If he can't afford a measly £10 a week to his parents, he should change jobs. If his parents say he "isn't allowed" to change jobs, he should inform that he therefore will be unable to pay his rent.
Reply 11
£20 a week is extortionate...

If you feel that way, he should move out and see how much rent costs in the real world.

Hint, it is probably ~10x as much.

Having had my mum claim child benefit for me it stopped the 1st week of August after my 18th it doesn't stay until you move out. In some cases you could get it till 20 but that's very rare so no idea where you got that from.
£10 a week would barely be his share of the food bill let alone anything else.
I pay £250 rent a month to stay where I am.
Original post by OU Student
He is costing them money. He isn't just paying towards the house - he's paying towards food, water, heating, etc.

I think you didn't read what I put. He pays for most of his food (doesn't have breakfast, has lunch at college, parents only cook him tea because he usually either snacks for dinner at home or buys a cheap sandwich).

What I'm saying is that he doesn't even work full time, he has to pay for all his college supplies and school lunches AND pays for rent. Rent is usually £10 under what he earns so if he had a £50 a week job they'd charge £40 a week rent.
Original post by e aí rapaz
So his parents have told him he must pay them half of his wages, but also that he is not allowed to change jobs? How old are you guys?

If he can't afford a measly £10 a week to his parents, he should change jobs. If his parents say he "isn't allowed" to change jobs, he should inform that he therefore will be unable to pay his rent.

Read the post: 18 but going into second year of college.

His rent is £10 under what he earns no matter what he earns.
Original post by cacra
£20 a week is extortionate...

If you feel that way, he should move out and see how much rent costs in the real world.

Hint, it is probably ~10x as much.

Read the post, we're in college. His rent is £10 under what he earns.

I'm saying it's extortionate because he has to pay for his own lunches and school supplies on top of rent.
He isn't allowed to change jobs? I think Human Rights would have a field day!

He needs to be getting paid the min. wage, unless it is a cash in hand kind of job?

Top parenting in my view, welcome to the real world! Although they could be really mean parents but if he doesn't like it, he can move out :smile: I did!

Welcome to life!
Read the post: 18 but going into second year of college.

His rent is £10 under what he earns no matter what he earns.

What a bizarre system. That makes so little sense that it almost sounds made up.

What's the point of working more hours to afford food and supplies if his parents just take everything extra that he earns?

Sorry, I can't help. There's no reasonable response to such ridiculous parenting.
Original post by claireestelle
Having had my mum claim child benefit for me it stopped the 1st week of August after my 18th it doesn't stay until you move out. In some cases you could get it till 20 but that's very rare so no idea where you got that from.
£10 a week would barely be his share of the food bill let alone anything else.

From money advice service:

"You can claim for each child aged under 16 years, or a young person under 20 years if they are still in approved full-time education up to A level or similar, or on certain approved training courses."

We're in college, going into second year. We will get it until we are 19 because we both restarted the first year of college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending