The Student Room Group

Help picking a 3rd A level?

Hi guys, I have aspirations to study Economics at a top 5 Uni,

I have chosen so far:

Maths + Further Maths, Economics and German AS levels but I need to choose a third subject to take to A2?

I was thinking geography? Would that be a good subject on an economics application?

Replies much appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Don Joiner

I have chosen so far:

Maths + Further Maths, Economics and German AS levels but I need to choose a third subject to take to A2?

I was thinking geography? Would that be a good subject on an economics application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait hang arent maths and further maths two separate subjects?
Reply 2

I have chosen so far:

Posted from TSR Mobile

An essay-based subject would be best. History, law, business or a science perhaps, like physics.
Government and Politics.
Additional Further Maths.
Reply 5
Original post by Protagoras
Government and Politics.

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by NotNotBatman
Additional Further Maths.

Not an option for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
History would be a great complement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by PrinceUpsb
History would be a great complement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

History I've heard is very hard and a lot of content to learn, which seems a bit much just to prove I can write :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did AS geography and will be taking to A2. I definitely recommend geography - what exam board will your college be using? I did AQA and the topics were- coasts, rivers, energy and population. The only bad thing is the energy section - which is 25% of the first exam paper, I personally found the content so dull and boring and so didn't really revise for it 😏 but the other sections are really interesting. It's not a really difficult subject but there's an awful lot to remember - like tons! My other subjects are biology, chemistry and psychology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
History or geography. I personally do geog and find it works quite well with those subjects
Posted from TSR Mobile
History I've heard is very hard and a lot of content to learn, which seems a bit much just to prove I can write :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do whatever you enjoy - if you think you'll get on best with Geography do that.

Maths is the only requirement, and Economics is recommended if it's offered (else you will have to explain why you didn't have an interest pre-AS and now wish to study it at degree level). However, have those two and you're fine for top unis. If you don't mind what else you study, something heavy essay based would be good so you can comment on your analytical and essay ability, but certainly isn't necessary.

Go for geography if it interests you the most.
Reply 12
What do you consider to be your strongest subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending