The Student Room Group

english language as

Hi, I'm starting sixth form in September and choosing and deciding on my a level choices at the moment. Im thinking about studying english language a level, has anyone done this? Im unsure how different it is than gcse, and worried if creative writing is involved and if so how much? as Im not that keen on creative writing and prefer the analysis. Also what is the course work/homework like?
Im also unsure on what english language is perceived like as an a level to unis? Because I heard that english literature could be more highly regarded?
Any help is appciated very much 😊
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by gracei17
Hi, I'm starting sixth form in September and choosing and deciding on my a level choices at the moment. Im thinking about studying english language a level, has anyone done this? Im unsure how different it is than gcse, and worried if creative writing is involved and if so how much? as Im not that keen on creative writing and prefer the analysis. Also what is the course work/homework like?
Im also unsure on what english language is perceived like as an a level to unis? Because I heard that english literature could be more highly regarded?
Any help is appciated very much 😊

Hi i do English Literature at Alevel and i love it!! At my sixth form they only offer english lit or combined lit and lang so I'm not sure what they offer at your sixth form. I was recommended by my old GCSE teacher to do English literature as it allows you to develop more analytical skills compared to just looking at the english language and its form then go for it :h:
Reply 3
I studied AS English language this year and i was on the AQA board. The problem is, is that it's a very complex course at the beginning because you have so many new words to learn and need to understand them. I know the specification is changing from September 2015 but all i have to say is that it's an excellent qualification to have as it is a requirement on many different courses, however you need to feel confident about the teacher you have because if they are not 100% committed, you will struggle. My teacher was awful and absent for over a month before the June 2nd exam, which is obviously a crucial time.

Good luck with your decision Hope I've helped! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by SEHB
I studied AS English language this year and i was on the AQA board. The problem is, is that it's a very complex course at the beginning because you have so many new words to learn and need to understand them. I know the specification is changing from September 2015 but all i have to say is that it's an excellent qualification to have as it is a requirement on many different courses, however you need to feel confident about the teacher you have because if they are not 100% committed, you will struggle. My teacher was awful and absent for over a month before the June 2nd exam, which is obviously a crucial time.

Good luck with your decision Hope I've helped! :smile:

Thanks so much for the feed back. Im not sure who my teacher would end up being if I picked the subject but I know that the english department is known to be good at college. Im still so torn between the two subjects but hopefully I'll make the right decision.
Reply 5
Original post by ligg
Hi i do English Literature at Alevel and i love it!! At my sixth form they only offer english lit or combined lit and lang so I'm not sure what they offer at your sixth form. I was recommended by my old GCSE teacher to do English literature as it allows you to develop more analytical skills compared to just looking at the english language and its form then go for it :h:

Thanks for the feedback :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending