The Student Room Group

Amazon didn't ask for my pin when making a order?

I just recently made a amazon account and have never used it before. I entered my card details and after clicking the checkout button to buy a few products, they never asked me to enter my Pin number? or redirect me to a bank website to enter my pin number?

Is this normal for amazon? I usually use ebay and they usually redirect me to a page from my bank's website to enter my pin before purchasing a product or they get me to sign into paypal....

Feels abit wierd if this is the case.... I prefer the transaction process to be more secure... If someone knew my amazon password, they could just order as much stuff as they want without needing my bank PIN number?
The card I used is a debit card btw...
(edited 8 years ago)
Completely normal for Amazon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by lascelles
Completely normal for Amazon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks... Feel really weird buying things without having to enter my PIN number.... I wish they'd have an option for this, or an option to use pay pal... I would feel alot more secure...
PIN numbers are not required for online transactions. You'll note that paypal doesn't require it either. (As a note: This is for the very good reason that PIN numbers are horribly insecure in the online situation: the only thing that saves them on the physical side of things is that physically typing in all of those numbers is slow and suspicious - if you were transferring them over the internet, you'd actually make it less secure). The online system is actually more secure than using it in a shop (not that that's saying much, given that modern cards are produced by first making an incredibly secure system (the chip), then bonding it to an incredibly insecure system (the magnetic strip), putting all of the information that you need to commit fraud right there on it (seriously, there is no reason for most of that information to be on the card), then embossing that information, just to make it that bit easier to steal).

Seriously, if you want to keep your card secure, only using it online isn't a bad place to start.
Reply 4
Original post by BlueSam3
PIN numbers are not required for online transactions. You'll note that paypal doesn't require it either. (As a note: This is for the very good reason that PIN numbers are horribly insecure in the online situation: the only thing that saves them on the physical side of things is that physically typing in all of those numbers is slow and suspicious - if you were transferring them over the internet, you'd actually make it less secure). The online system is actually more secure than using it in a shop (not that that's saying much, given that modern cards are produced by first making an incredibly secure system (the chip), then bonding it to an incredibly insecure system (the magnetic strip), putting all of the information that you need to commit fraud right there on it (seriously, there is no reason for most of that information to be on the card), then embossing that information, just to make it that bit easier to steal).

Seriously, if you want to keep your card secure, only using it online isn't a bad place to start.

Ah, I see..... thank you :smile:

For paypal, I don't make a automatic transaction between my bank account and paypal (I don't let paypal automatically take money from my bank account so that I can use it when paying with paypal) ...

I just manually go into my bank account and make a payment into my paypal account if I want to pay using paypal... That way, I know how much I'm putting into my paypal account and makes me feel way more secure

I wish amazon would let us pay using paypal.... maybe it's just me, but I'd like to be in control or feel in control of the whole transaction process... O.o
They don't ask you for a PIN. They ask you for your security thing (the 3 digit number thing) which is on the back of your card.
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
They don't ask you for a PIN. They ask you for your security thing (the 3 digit number thing) which is on the back of your card.

I don't think they even asked me for that.... only my card number (16 digit at the front) and the expiration date and name on card and the type (e.g. mastercard, visa, etc)

makes me feel uneasy about security....
Original post by Bustamove
I don't think they even asked me for that.... only my card number (16 digit at the front) and the expiration date and name on card and the type (e.g. mastercard, visa, etc)

makes me feel uneasy about security....

Amazon absolutely do ask for that number, or whatever its equivalent is for your variety of card.

And honestly, online purchases are way, way more secure than anything else you can do with your card.
Reply 8
Original post by BlueSam3
Amazon absolutely do ask for that number, or whatever its equivalent is for your variety of card.

And honestly, online purchases are way, way more secure than anything else you can do with your card.

Just checked my account for managing my payments.... For me, they haven't asked me for that number.... all it's says is my card number, expiration date, and cardholder name...

maybe because my card type is Visa which may be why....
anyway, thank you all for your responses :smile:
Just checked my account for managing my payments.... For me, they haven't asked me for that number.... all it's says is my card number, expiration date, and cardholder name...

It wouldn't have your security number on your account, as anyone could see it. Honestly, they'd have asked for it at some point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by lascelles
It wouldn't have your security number on your account, as anyone could see it. Honestly, they'd have asked for it at some point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

not on my account, but it's when you go on your settings and look at payment methods... I can see what is on there, I don't think anyone else can... the actual numbers are obviously blurred out/hidden using this symbol... *

Am i the only one which has not been asked for it? O.o

They do ask for it, they just don't put it there. For precisely the same reason that cash points don't write your PIN number on the screen in massive letters. Because that would be monumentally stupid.
I wasn't asked for that number either. And I have Visa too. I share the same feelings...
I purchased from amazon spain and they did not ask for the cvv or the pin or the 3d secure password from VISA (weird)!!Back in India, i was required to provide the OTP sent to mobile phone or 3D secure password for purchasing anything from amazon.
I made a purchase from Amazon today and only asked for name,card number and expiry date.nothing else
I just recently made a amazon account and have never used it before. I entered my card details and after clicking the checkout button to buy a few products, they never asked me to enter my Pin number? or redirect me to a bank website to enter my pin number?

Is this normal for amazon? I usually use ebay and they usually redirect me to a page from my bank's website to enter my pin before purchasing a product or they get me to sign into paypal....

Feels abit wierd if this is the case.... I prefer the transaction process to be more secure... If someone knew my amazon password, they could just order as much stuff as they want without needing my bank PIN number?
The card I used is a debit card btw...

Same thing happened to me few days ago.
Reply 16
Original post by Mikaelson

Amazon do not ask for pin numbers, that’s not something online retailers do.
Reply 17
Anyone else noticed this thread is 4 years old? :tongue:

But yeah, Amazon never ask for my 3 digit code either, visa too....
Original post by Mikaelson

Online transactions never ask for pins. Might get the odd one-off need of verification, but pins? Never You might be confusing pin numbers with CCV numbers, the three-digit number, usually on the back of your card, or in the case of AMEX cards, the 4 digit number on the front of the card.

They will save the CCV as part of saving your payment details and will occasionally ask you to verify your CCV from time to time. I believe they always ask to verify if you choose to ship to a different address or at least one you don't regularly ship to.
Original post by Tw1x

Yep 😂
Reply 19
Original post by Tw1x

Yea this thread is super old haha, made this before I went to uni and was not sure at the time how online card payments worked XD

Anyone else looking at this thread now, I can confirm it's absolutely safe. Been using amazon for 4 years now (since the start of the thread). If you still don't feel safe, use a credit card instead of a debit card.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending