Trying to understand the pedals/brakes better

Watch
poopledum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Let's say I've got my foot on the clutch and the brake to come to a stop at traffic lights in 1st gear. I apply my handbrake which allows me to take my foot off the footbrake. Can I also take my foot off the clutch without the car stalling? If I didn't apply the handbrake could I just keep my foot on the footbrake while raising the clutch to the bite to prepare to go?
SonicOfPron
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by poopledum)
Let's say I've got my foot on the clutch and the brake to come to a stop at traffic lights in 1st gear. I apply my handbrake which allows me to take my foot off the footbrake. Can I also take my foot off the clutch without the car stalling? If I didn't apply the handbrake could I just keep my foot on the footbrake while raising the clutch to the bite to prepare to go?
Only way to prevent stalling whilst in that situation would be to go into neutral.
CeeDixon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go into neutral once you've applied the handbrake. You won't stall. And keeping your foot on the brake will just get tiring after a while!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As a general principle, if your foot is off the clutch whilst engaged in a gear (ie. not neutral) and your speed is too low for that gear then the engine will struggle and possibly stall.

On a quiet, open road try to experiment with it. If I go below 20mph with it in 4th I can feel and hear the engine struggling. Same applies to moving into a gear at those too low speed - like trying to go straight from 2nd to 5th.

With most gears you'll hear and feel the engine struggling before it stalls, but 1st is a lot less forgiving, hence so many stalls when in 1st!

Firstly I'd suggest shifting into neutral when stopped to allow your left foot to take a break. For the purposes of your test, put the handbrake on rather than holding on the foot break.

Finally if you think about why the handbrake is needed, to get the bite point you need your right foot on the accelerator. This means your right foot is not on the foot brake!
DeeWave
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Applying the handbrake doesn't affect the gears. Think of them as two different systems.

1) The handbrake is also a brake so it clamps the wheels to stop the car rolling. Therefore after applying the handbrake you can release the footbrake and the car won't roll back.

2) The clutch disconnects the engine from the gearbox. It is not connected to the brakes. If you raise the clutch with a gear engaged the car will either move or stall regardless fo what you're doing with the brakes. If you stop and want to take your foot off the clutch you MUST put the gear lever into neutral.

HTH
Can-Am
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DeeWave)
Applying the handbrake doesn't affect the gears. Think of them as two different systems.

1) The handbrake is also a brake so it clamps the wheels to stop the car rolling. Therefore after applying the handbrake you can release the footbrake and the car won't roll back.

2) The clutch disconnects the gearbok from the road. It is not connected to the brakes. If you raise the clutch with a gear engaged the car will either move or stall regardless fo what you're doing with the brakes. If you stop and want to take your foot off the clutch you MUST put the gear lever into neutral.

HTH
The clutch connects the engine to the gearbox, not the gearbox to the wheels.
DeeWave
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Can-Am)
The clutch connects the engine to the gearbox, not the gearbox to the wheels.
Thanks for pointing that out, I was indeed writing total rubbish but I've now corrected it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (89)
13.99%
I'm not sure (30)
4.72%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (200)
31.45%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.2%
I'm not a current university student (303)
47.64%

Watched Threads