The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Subject and University Opinions?

Hello! I'm hoping to apply for a Politics and International Relations course (starting in 2016) and I'm looking at Keele University as one of my 5 UCAS choices. (Looking very likely it will be my Firm choice if I manage to get an offer!) However, I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any help. Can anyone recommend any relevant work experience to do with this course? I am a student rep at my college and volunteer for a charity shop but I am not sure whether this will be enough.Any opinions on the uni/course/area would also be greatly appreciated as I'm not yet certain I will be able to get there for an open day.

Thank You!
Original post by emiloujess
Hello! I'm hoping to apply for a Politics and International Relations course (starting in 2016) and I'm looking at Keele University as one of my 5 UCAS choices. (Looking very likely it will be my Firm choice if I manage to get an offer!) However, I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any help. Can anyone recommend any relevant work experience to do with this course? I am a student rep at my college and volunteer for a charity shop but I am not sure whether this will be enough.Any opinions on the uni/course/area would also be greatly appreciated as I'm not yet certain I will be able to get there for an open day.

Thank You!

Work experience isn't at all necessary for non-vocational courses, like yours. Try to show your academic interest via books you've read on the topic, lectures you've seen, talk about political/international news developments and so on. Maybe see if you can shadow your MP, but this is not at all needed and won't necessarily improve your application for that course. Your extra-currics seems totally fine as a side thing (some universities like to see you do other things), but the main thing is you achieve as well as you can in your exams and demonstrate your academic interest in your course. Good luck!

P.S. There are open days in summer and usually september too so try to get to one as it really helps to get a feel of the place. If you can't, look on the relevant tsr forum for that uni, talk to those students, see if the uni has any youtube vids (like a virtual open day)?
(edited 8 years ago)
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Original post by PardonMyFrench96
Work experience isn't at all necessary for non-vocational courses, like yours. Try to show your academic interest via books you've read on the topic, lectures you've seen, talk about political/international news developments and so on. Maybe see if you can shadow your MP, but this is not at all needed and won't necessarily improve your application for that course. Your extra-currics seems totally fine as a side thing (some universities like to see you do other things), but the main thing is you achieve as well as you can in your exams and demonstrate your academic interest in your course. Good luck!

Thank you! I've been quite worried about it! Better go on Amazon and order some books then! :biggrin: I would ask to shadow the local MP, but I don't really like the ideals of the party they're in (I know I'll come across it in some point in the course, but...) Do you go to Keele?
Thank you! I've been quite worried about it! Better go on Amazon and order some books then! :biggrin: I would ask to shadow the local MP, but I don't really like the ideals of the party they're in (I know I'll come across it in some point in the course, but...) Do you go to Keele?

No, I don't go to Keele. Glad I could help.

P.S. You really don't have to shadow your MP if you don't want to.
(edited 8 years ago)

Thank You!

Hi Emilousjess,

My name is Ian and I work on organising events such as the Open Days and am a point of contact if you would be interested in visiting the University.

At Keele we have a few Open Days coming up which are:

Sunday 16th August
Saturday 19th September
Sunday 11th October

For further information and booking link to one of these events please see the following link:

http://www.keele.ac.uk/visiting/opendaysin2015/

If these aren't convenient for you, you would be more than welcome to come for an independent visit at any time that suits you. Once more, for further information and a booking form, please see the following link:

http://www.keele.ac.uk/visiting/independentvisits/

If you do then go onto apply to Keele and receive an offer, you will be invited to one of our Offer Holder days that take place in February and March which allows you another opportunity to look around the University and speak to academics to find out more about your course.

I hope that this information has helped, but please don't hesitate to get in contact if you have any other questions!

Ian
Reply 5
Original post by Keele University
Hi Emilousjess,

My name is Ian and I work on organising events such as the Open Days and am a point of contact if you would be interested in visiting the University.

At Keele we have a few Open Days coming up which are:

Sunday 16th August
Saturday 19th September
Sunday 11th October

For further information and booking link to one of these events please see the following link:

http://www.keele.ac.uk/visiting/opendaysin2015/

If these aren't convenient for you, you would be more than welcome to come for an independent visit at any time that suits you. Once more, for further information and a booking form, please see the following link:

http://www.keele.ac.uk/visiting/independentvisits/

If you do then go onto apply to Keele and receive an offer, you will be invited to one of our Offer Holder days that take place in February and March which allows you another opportunity to look around the University and speak to academics to find out more about your course.

I hope that this information has helped, but please don't hesitate to get in contact if you have any other questions!

Ian

Thank you so much for replying! I'm hoping to come to the one on the 19th September, just have to plan my train journey :smile: Finding a uni has been quite difficult for me as I'm quite sensitive to loud noise so have been trying to find one of the unis in a more peaceful location, and avoiding the city unis. Keele with all the woods and open space seems perfect!

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest