Should the government subsidise green energy?

Watch
TomatoLounge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
To me it's a no-brainer. We're going to have to move to renewable energy at some point so why not get ahead of the game and invest now. Would be great for the environment and industry.

News piece on the BBC about the government reducing subsidies: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-33631457
EverybodyHz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What the Daily Mail fails to mention with this issue is that almost every energy source is subsidised. Large power stations like coal and nuclear bring jobs and economic growth and are continually supported in some way by the taxpayer. So yes I think it's fair to say that solar and wind should get some sensible incentives in their early development...

Although wind is a fairly competitive resource itself at the moment, which is part of the reason there are moves to reduce subsidy. Contrary to popular belief, renewables are pretty economically competitive and not just "waste of money and golf course hurga durka daily mail says so".
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't really support direct subsidies for any energy type however I do think we should remove the burden of taxation from renewables.
saayagain
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Who gives a **** about green energy?
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would rather see investment than subsidies. Otherwise you end up with a situation like nuclear power, where the government is subsidising power stations that, essentially, crap and should have been decommissioned years ago but they have to be kept going because they can't build any new ones.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the Tories best environmental policy, better than any of the other parties is the cap on child benefits.

Over population is the biggest cause of environmental damage.
william walker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes of course we should subsidise green energy.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Should we subsidize nuclear energy? We do that with knobs on. It;s almost like certain industries can not function properly in a free market...
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
no
but I think there should be incentives to using green energy, e.g. less taxes
for instance, having much less parking fees or taxes if you use an electric car so it's not ridiculously expensive
SotonianOne
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No because it raises the cost of energy. I am not going to be paying extra 100 pounds a year so that some random Bangladeshis don't get their garden and patio flooded.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (67)
15.4%
Uncertainty around my education (76)
17.47%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
9.2%
Isolating with family (26)
5.98%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (18)
4.14%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (36)
8.28%
Loneliness (42)
9.66%
Financial worries (15)
3.45%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (43)
9.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.9%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (42)
9.66%

Watched Threads