Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Quizbowl Questions (Literature) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Same thing as yesterday. Only difference is that since these are easier, no resources are allowed. Rep to first person with all correct answers to be awarded tomorrow.

1. In this novel by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, the hero is a lean elderly man, who inflamed by a diet of romantic reading, thinks himself a knight errant and sets out on his emaciated horse, Rocinate, to fight giants, rescue damsels, uplift the oppressed, and court the approval of his so-called lady.

2. Robert Louis Stevenson got the idea for this novel in a dream. The story gets going when Mr. Utterson discovers that a respectable physician can chemically transform himself into a lascivious, unscrupulous alter ego. Name this novel.

3. This Jane Austen novel is about the heroine, who is “handsome, clever, and rich,” who, in manipulating her friends learns the limits and dangers of such social games. Name this novel published in 1816.

4. This James Joyce novel, massive in size, dauntingly obscure, and full of verbal extravagance, centers on a Dublin family. Name this novel, published in 1939, which mirrors the structure of Giambattista Vicos cyclical view of history.

5. Name the author of The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

6. It is thought that she might not have written her only novel. Some literary critics think that her husband might have written her book. Name this woman who is generally accepted as the other of the massive classic whose title comes from the description of the society that the gentle Ashley belongs to.

7. This winner of the 1931 Pulitzer Prize for fiction was the first African American woman to win a Pulitzer. Name this author of The Good Earth.

8. For Americans in particular, the title character, a somewhat stereotyped English master, symbolized the best in British tradition. The book consists of flashbacks over a long life of quiet dignity, humor, and richness of experience loyally spent in the service of the boys, despite personal loss, World War I, and a new educational outlook that threatens to displace him and his ideals. Name this novel by James Hilton.

9. What is the name of the American author, from California, who occasionally wrote under the pseudonym Amnesia Glasscock?

10. What is the real name of the French playwright who wrote Candide?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    1. Don Quihote (sp?)
    2. Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde
    3. Emma?
    4. I know this one but the name has slipped my mind - finnegans wake

the rest I don't know (and they don't even ring any bells).

Ironically I only know these answers because I went to see the reduced shakespear company doing all the rgeat books abridged last saturday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Ironically I only know these answers because I went to see the reduced shakespear company doing all the rgeat books abridged last saturday.
    Ooh, I saw them too in York last year. Absolutely pant-wettingly funny.

ReputationRep:
    1. Don Quihote (sp?)
    2. Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde
    3. Emma?
    4. I know this one but the name has slipped my mind - finnegans wake

the rest I don't know (and they don't even ring any bells).

1 and 3 are correct.
    Note: All answers must contain complete title or last name if it is a person. For rep all questions must be answered in the same post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    1 and 3 are correct.
    Note: All answers must contain complete title or last name if it is a person. For rep all questions must be answered in the same post.
    Is 4 Ulysses?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    1 and 3 are correct.
    It's not finnegans wake then? :confused:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    1 and 3 are correct.
    In that case
    2. Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

(pedant )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Is 4 Ulysses?

It is a james joyce novel but not the right one.

ReputationRep:
    It's not finnegans wake then? :confused:
    Inthat case
    2. Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

(pedant )
    PQ has 4

ReputationRep:
    Don Qiuxote
    Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde
    Emma
    Finnegans Wake (soooooooo boring)
    no idea
    no idea
    Pearl Bucck
    Goodbye Mr.Chips?- surely not
    funny name
    Francis Auruet- voltaire's real name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firecracker)
    Don Qiuxote
    Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde
    Emma
    Finnegans Wake (soooooooo boring)
    no idea
    no idea
    Pearl Bucck
    Goodbye Mr.Chips?- surely not
    funny name
    Francis Auruet- voltaire's real name
    1,2,3,6,7, are correct on ten I want full name including place of birth (as in de something)

ReputationRep:
    One can still answer these questions for rep.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 6, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.