The Student Room Group

Advice - What to take and what you would do differently

Starting university this September, I am travelling 200 miles so don't exactly want to forget anything, what items would you recommend taking excluding the obvious ones?

Also is there anything you would have done differently if you was starting university for the first time this year? Any mistakes you did or things you wished you did?
Original post by Breakingbank
Starting university this September, I am travelling 200 miles so don't exactly want to forget anything, what items would you recommend taking excluding the obvious ones?

Also is there anything you would have done differently if you was starting university for the first time this year? Any mistakes you did or things you wished you did?

Well i guess one thing I wish i did was to not hide my cutlery from my flatmates sooner, it all got lost pretty quick, so stick to cheap cutlery:P same with any cleaning stuff as things get dirty quick when there's 6 of you.

I guess, you could buy all new bedding when you get there and i had a really good clothes sort out before i moved so i managed to take all my clothes with me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Obviously you'll need clothes and kitchen stuff like plates, cutlery, dish cloth etc.

Some little things you might have overlooked are: bottle opener and tin opener, some kind of collapsible laundry basket (being a student is no excuse for your room being covered in dirty laundry), I also advise taking some food with you for the first week to save you going to do a food shop 2 days into Freshers Week.

Make sure you take some form of ID with you; driving licence/passport and your national insurance no. as you'll need these if you intend to apply for part-time jobs while you're at uni.
Reply 3

Off to university myself this September! A few things that could potentially come in handy; door stop? Mainly for the first day when your meeting flatmates. Pack of playing cards? Its likely a flatmate would have had the same idea, but bring it just incase for drinking games etc. Whiteboard and marker pens? Can pin this to your wall then for daily tasks or uni work. Just a few random ideas you may not of thought of! :smile:
Here is the TSR Guide to What to Take to University - compiled by students : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15855-what-to-take-to-university-checklist

And the TSR Guide to What to get organised before you Go to Uni : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15477-guide-to-before-you-go-to-university
Reply 5
The six of us all got on really well so we ended up putting all of our cutlery, crockery etc together and sharing; it made it much easier. We all chipped in and shared milk, toilet roll etc, and did group meals when we could, it saved a lot of money. Quite a few of my friends wish they had done this.

Honestly, the list of items you could take to university is endless. You'll pack and pack and pack and take everything but the kitchen sink from your house and then get there and realise you forgot something small, not something you really need, but you'll want. I'd say take a small bin with you, not all halls provide them, desk lamp and such. Hand washing soap if you have a sink in your room. Plenty of spare bedding, something to hold change that you can use for washing. Random kitchen utensils, not just the basic. Plenty of plates and cups and what not. An extra box or container for use in the kitchen you share, they come in handy for stuff that can't fit in cupboards but don't need to be in the fride of anything like that. Posters and what not, stuff to make the room more homely and make you feel comfortable. Extension leads - always worth while. Like I said, the list is endless.

Hm, anything I would have differently? I didn't really make any mistakes but the one regret I have is not taking part more. I want to most the freshers events in the evening but there was a lot they offered during the day and I didn't attend, therefore I regret that. Just generally pushing myself to take part in things, I regret this a lot. Just little things.

- JustGeorgeJ
Original post by Annie10
Obviously you'll need ....... kitchen stuff like plates, cutlery, dish cloth etc.

Not if you are in catered halls you wont - and its hardly worth buying this sort of stuff at home even if you are in self-catered, it makes far more sense to get it at the Uni's local Wilkos.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending