Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here we go then - UKL's very own ENGLISH LANGUAGE society.

This society involves discussion of lexis, grammar (for all the pedants of you) and any issues or debates concerning the English Language.

The society also includes discussion and queries regarding subjects ranging from GCSE English Language, A-Level English Language and all language-related degree courses!

So, if you would like to join the society, reply to this thread or PM me or suspicious_fish as co-founders, and you can join The UKL English Language Society!

Member List:
    theaman
    suspicious_fish
    happysunshine
    ~Sam~
    riffraff
    Fly By
    SiAnY
    wibble...
    EmJ
    Me2
    RDoh
    Chinesegirl
    Hayley...
    misfit
    danii17
    choco_frog_chic
    AATTMM
    marychrist
    NDGAARONDI
    Will
    beculus
    pixiepeep
    jamieholmear
    kidney thief
    gemgems89
    RoisinHan

ReputationRep:
    I'll be a member, I'm an English Language fan!

ReputationRep:
    I'll join. I'm doing lang/lit AS at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Why was Pedants United disbanded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDoh)
    Why was Pedants United disbanded?
    We wanted to broaden out a bit.
    We're still pedants at heart!

ReputationRep:
    I shall join- although I enjoyed my pedant status

ReputationRep:
    i'll join

ReputationRep:
    I'll join, i'm doing AS English Language. I messed up Unit 1 though so i doubt i'll have achieved my predicted grade.

ReputationRep:
    siany how many societies are you member of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    i'll join
    r u gona join every society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    siany how many societies are you member of?
    Check my signature. How many are you a member of?! You seem to have joined a lot :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I would like to join. What do you pedantic members think of the plans to re-introduce Latin as part of the National Curriculum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammypotato)
    r u gona join every society
    tammy, NON!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathsheba)
    i would like to join. what do you pedantic members think of the plans to re-introduce latin as part of the national curriculum?
    they're seriously planning to?? i don't agree wiv it... its a dead-end language... no-one speaks it these days so whats the point?!

ReputationRep:
    I think a basic knowledge of Latin is an incredibly useful tool - I wish I remember the Latin I had to learn in years 7-9 - but I was totally useless at it so I sympathise with those who find it hellishly difficult.
    Then again, I was also forced to learn maths which was an absolute nightmare! (And before someone pipes up with common sense, I know maths is much more vital than Latin)
    I'm undecided as to whether or not I would introduce it into the national curriculum, but I'd very much like to see it at least available in all schools.
    Pity about the massive shortage of classics teachers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    I think a basic knowledge of Latin is an incredibly useful tool
    sorry for being so ignorant but what are these uses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibble...)
    sorry for being so ignorant but what are these uses?
    No need to be sorry!
    Knowledge of the origins of certain words and names, invaluable for close analysis of the English language and massively useful when learning the romance languages (French, Spanish, Italian). You can also figure out the meanings of words if you have a knowledge of Latin.
    There are also references to classical literature all over novels (try reading Paradise Lost!) and also the Latin poets are just plain marvellous (in small doses).
    Many times I've wished I knew more Latin, and Greek too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    No need to be sorry!
    Knowledge of the origins of certain words and names, invaluable for close analysis of the English language and massively useful when learning the romance languages (French, Spanish, Italian). You can also figure out the meanings of words if you have a knowledge of Latin.
    There are also references to classical literature all over novels (try reading Paradise Lost!) and also the Latin poets are just plain marvellous (in small doses).
    Many times I've wished I knew more Latin, and Greek too.
    Yes - the study of Latin provides a platform from which to study the etymology of much of the words within contemporary English language.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm... even if it does have these uses i still don't think it should be compulsory! yes it might be interesting to know about the origins of words etc (i myself would love to learn latin) but i would say that learning languages that can be used for communication is a far more valuable tool...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibble...)
    hmmm... even if it does have these uses i still don't think it should be compulsory! yes it might be interesting to know about the origins of words etc (i myself would love to learn latin) but i would say that learning languages that can be used for communication is a far more valuable tool...
    Yes - I agree.

It should be an option whether someone would like to investigate further into language, with Latin, and not be made compulsory, like modern languages, such as French, German and Spanish, which are more widely used.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.