The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
wibble...
sorry for being so ignorant but what are these uses?

there was an article about the re-introduction of latin to the nat. curriculum in yesterday's guardian. i don't think it's policy yet.

i personally regret not having had the opportunity of learning latin yet and intend to do so at university. it is obviously very useful and more useful than maths to some people. if you are aware of the grammar of one language then you are in a much better position to understand you mother tongue and use it more accurately and beautifully. latin is of course a brilliant language to learn because it is related to not only english but also other european languages, so it facilitates becoming a polyglot. i also think it's important to learn about grammar today because of the way our culture could dangerously become illiterate and lose an important part of ITS literary heritage.
Reply 21
Bathsheba
there was an article about the re-introduction of latin to the nat. curriculum in yesterday's guardian. i don't think it's policy yet.

i personally regret not having had the opportunity of learning latin yet and intend to do so at university. it is obviously very useful and more useful than maths to some people. if you are aware of the grammar of one language then you are in a much better position to understand you mother tongue and use it more accurately and beautifully. latin is of course a brilliant language to learn because it is related to not only english but also other european languages, so it facilitates becoming a polyglot. i also think it's important to learn about grammar today because of the way our culture could dangerously become illiterate and lose an important part of it's literary heritage.

yes but surely it is more important to be able to speak a language beyond your "mother tongue"... whilst i agree that our society should learn about grammer etc i believe it is more important that we can communicate between countries! england is known for its ignorance in its failure to speak other languages. We, as a country, are relying on other countries to learn and speak our language which i see as ignorant and far more dangerous than not knowing grammar!
Reply 22
can i join this society... i forgot to ask before i started ranting :tongue:
Reply 23
Bathsheba

i personally regret not having had the opportunity of learning latin yet and intend to do so at university. it is obviously very useful and more useful than maths to some people. if you are aware of the grammar of one language then you are in a much better position to understand you mother tongue and use it more accurately and beautifully. latin is of course a brilliant language to learn because it is related to not only english but also other european languages, so it facilitates becoming a polyglot. i also think it's important to learn about grammar today because of the way our culture could dangerously become illiterate and lose an important part of it's literary heritage.

I'd have to disagree with you about the precise usefulness of being able to understand Latin; it is, afterall, a dead language. If it's grammar you're concerned with you'd be better off with a language like German - afterall, English, despite the large amount of borrowing from the Romance (Latinate) Languages, is a Germanic language. Talking of language learning, i've always wanted to learn Russian, but i'm put off by the complex-looking Cyrillic script... hmm...
Bathsheba
i also think it's important to learn about grammar today because of the way our culture could dangerously become illiterate and lose an important part of it's literary heritage.

Aaaaagh!
Reply 25
suspicious_fish
Aaaaagh!

lol, they done a study recently and found that most people don't know when and when not to use 's :biggrin:

i have a question thought, when is the right time to use a ' (can't remember what it's called) behind an s?
Reply 26
Fly By
lol, they done a study recently and found that most people don't know when and when not to use 's :biggrin:

i have a question thought, when is the right time to use a ' (can't remember what it's called) behind an s?
When it's a plural possessive. For example, the witches' cauldron - a cauldron that belongs to a group of witches.
Reply 27
Could one join please?
RDoh
When it's a plural possessive. For example, the witches' cauldron - a cauldron that belongs to a group of witches.

Ah, but that's in front of an s.
They're called apostrophes, by the way.
Take a look at this: http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost.php?p=732756&postcount=11
Reply 29
RDoh

Just to add to that, when the noun is noun-plural by form then the apostrophe precedes the possessive marker as for singular nouns - the children's books, women's rights etc.
Reply 30
Me2
Could one join please?

Was that purposely incorrect?
RDoh
Was that purposely incorrect?

Y'know, I don't think it was....
Reply 32
suspicious_fish
Aaaaagh!

i have just lost the will to live

sorry

just goes to show i am an ignorant swine who hasn't learnt her latin :frown:
Reply 33
Bathsheba

just goes to show i am an ignorant swine who hasn't learnt her latin :frown:

nono- you haven't learnt your english- latin has nothing to do with the use of apostrophes (sorry- being a pedant there).

(and yes I know I've missed out loads of capitals)
riffraff
nono- you haven't learnt your english- latin has nothing to do with the use of apostrophes (sorry- being a pedant there).

And a few spaces and commas. :biggrin:
Reply 35
riffraff

in ukl inglisch sosaietea mi hearbi withdro mi memberchyp laic, linguij lernnd nhod af us
Bathsheba
in ukl inglisch sosaietea mi hearbi withdro mi memberchyp laic, linguij lernnd nhod af us

t'oo shei
Reply 37
Just thought I'd bump this thread up for people about to take their GCSE English Language exams, as well as upcoming A2 English Language or combined Lang/Lit exams.
theaman
Just thought I'd bump this thread up for people about to take their GCSE English Language exams, as well as upcoming A2 English Language or combined Lang/Lit exams.

Good idea.
I'm quietly panicking over my English Lit AS tomorrow, but as this is a language thread I'll just complain that fitting quotes syntactically into sentences takes up too much time.
Reply 39
Thread bumped up again for anyone who wants to dicuss or has questions about the GCSE English Language exams.

Latest

Trending

Trending