Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The UKL English Language Society (UKL E/LangSoc) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Just stumbled across this thread, and thought it looked like fun! Has anyone read Eats(,) Shoots and Leaves? I'd recommend it to all of the pedants out there (sorry if this has already been said). By the way, I think introducing Latin into the National Curriculum is a great idea. I studied Latin from Year 7 to Year 9 and I really enjoyed it, although I wasn't able to do it for GCSE because it couldn't be timetabled. I found it really interesting and quite useful (OK, not that useful, but interesting) especially as I'm doing Spanish at the moment. Also, what did everyone think of the AQA English Language AS?
    Ange x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miffmeister)
    Hi guys,
    Just stumbled across this thread, and thought it looked like fun! Has anyone read Eats(,) Shoots and Leaves? I'd recommend it to all of the pedants out there (sorry if this has already been said). By the way, I think introducing Latin into the National Curriculum is a great idea. I studied Latin from Year 7 to Year 9 and I really enjoyed it, although I wasn't able to do it for GCSE because it couldn't be timetabled. I found it really interesting and quite useful (OK, not that useful, but interesting) especially as I'm doing Spanish at the moment. Also, what did everyone think of the AQA English Language AS?
    Ange x
    I'm going to do A2 AQA English Language exams - the Language and Gender question sounded hard - again.

There's so much to study in English Language, and its interesting to study. Latin probably is too, but I think it would only be taught from Years 7 to 9, as you studied it, and then offered as an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    I'm going to do A2 AQA English Language exams - the Language and Gender question sounded hard - again.

There's so much to study in English Language, and its interesting to study. Latin probably is too, but I think it would only be taught from Years 7 to 9, as you studied it, and then offered as an option.
    To be honest, I can't really remember much of what was on the paper although it was only a few weeks ago (tried to force it into the back of my mind, until results... and also been concentrating on revision >_<). I do remember that it was quite hard though. I'm taking it for A2 next year as well; hope I did OK! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Just stumbled across this thread, and thought it looked like fun! Has anyone read Eats(,) Shoots and Leaves? I'd recommend it to all of the pedants out there (sorry if this has already been said).
    Ange x
    That book is virtually my bible (though I was a grammar freak long before reading it)! It's very funny and she makes good points. I feel like going and throwing it at people when I see rampant apostrophes.

ReputationRep:
    And what a great book it is. I think being a pedant is something that should be embraced. It really angers me when I see signs for ladie's shoe's in shops, and it's a comfort to know it's not just me!

Ange x

ReputationRep:
    May I join?

ReputationRep:
    And what a great book it is. I think being a pedant is something that should be embraced. It really angers me when I see signs for ladie's shoe's in shops, and it's a comfort to know it's not just me!

Ange x
    And "carrot's 50p"!

ReputationRep:
    I am sitting the A2 English Language and Literature synoptic unit tomorrow.
    Does anybody have any advice or a loose essay structure to help with writing the commentary on your own writing? Please?

ReputationRep:
    Oops, accidentally pressed the delete button!

So, anyone sitting the AQA English Language B Unit 6 exam tomorrow then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    Oops, accidentally pressed the delete button!

So, anyone sitting the AQA English Language B Unit 6 exam tomorrow then?
    I'm doing Lang/Lit unit 6 tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Will I do? I took my AS English language exam this summer, I'll be taking it up to A2 and plan to study English Language and Linguistics when I'm a big girl. It's all really quite fascinating.

I like to think I have natural ability in my use of our language. I do make stupid mistakes with spelling sometimes.

I am also one of those whining pedants when it comes to public displays of bad grammar. It offends my eyes. I actually once corrected death threat graffiti on my neighbour's wall ("Live life now Nick - your dead") because walking past it every day on the way to school gave me a nervous twitch.

I think that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    I am also one of those whining pedants when it comes to public displays of bad grammar. It offends my eyes. I actually once corrected death threat graffiti on my neighbour's wall ("Live life now Nick - your dead") because walking past it every day on the way to school gave me a nervous twitch.
    I'm like that too. What really irritates me though is the fact that mark schemes for coursework often have marks for grammar, spelling and punctuation, but the teachers who mark this work have dire grammar, spelling and punctuation, so i don't see how they can mark our work if they can't write properly themselves, if you get me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I'm like that too. What really irritates me though is the fact that mark schemes for coursework often have marks for grammar, spelling and punctuation, but the teachers who mark this work have dire grammar, spelling and punctuation, so i don't see how they can mark our work if they can't write properly themselves, if you get me!
    Theoretically I see where you're coming from, but my teachers all have good SPG. Well, the ones who issue essay-based work do anyway. I wouldn't know about the maths teachers..

Teachers' handwriting, on the other hand....

ReputationRep:
    Can I join this society? 0:-)

ReputationRep:
    I decide to ask the question here because it's a question about English language. When talking about a girl and a boy getting together, I happened to hear somebody saying "Well, he is really out of her league." What does that mean? Is he saying that the girl has certain friends (who are referred to as "league") and the boy will not get along with her friends? Or what? They two don't match? I'm a bit confused...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to backtrack to your discussion of latin but....

At uni I'm considering doing one of these LFA (languages for all) courses, and they have both Medieval Latin and Classical Latin for offer. Is there a major difference in the two languages?

ReputationRep:
    I'm always being shouted at by my friends for being so pedantic, so I think I'd fit right in here.

AQA AS Eng Lang – 'twas okay. I messed up my timing in Unit 1 though, so I don't think I did quite as well as I could have. It's meant to be the easiest unit as well! What went wrong with yours, Siany? I found Unit 2 alright, did the Power and Gender questions.

Anyone else finding/did anyone else find the Language Change part of A2 fascinating? Okay, I'm just a Germanic language freak, I admit it! I actually can't wait 'til my final year of uni just to study comparative Germanic philology...dear me...lol

I'd have liked to have learnt Latin at school, being far too interested by languages, but before that we should just learn how to use our own [living] language properly! The misuse of the dear old apostrophe is quite appalling, I agree.

ReputationRep:
    i wanna be in the eng lang ukl society, im studying it at A level

Im going to study English Land and Lit at A level,and its mainly Language based I've been told.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to join the society. English is my favourite subject...
    on the subject of Eats, Shoots & Leaves, I SO want to read that, i've reserved it at the local library but it has yet to be returned.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.