Rory :)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
We should cap the population of this country. We already have far too many people for such a small country, so we should Cap the number of people residing here at present rates (approximately 63 million, give or take 10 mill ) on the basis of one out, one in (excluding Births).

Discuss
Nortus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
why?
Rory :)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Nortus)
why?
We are fairly overpopulated?
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I disagree

there are too many people unemployed,

and stupid

we need to solve the problem of stupidity
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Am I safe to go on holiday without my place being nabbed?
Nortus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rory :))
We are fairly overpopulated?
We really aren't. Most right-wing arguments against immigration relate to environment, so I am surprised why most anti-immigration right-wingers don't join the Green Party and campaign for a ban on new housing until 2100 AD.

Go to Japan. That's overcrowded. Literally all of Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and West Country is empty. Area between London and Birmingham has a density that of Mongolia.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The UK is nowhere close to being overpopulated, most population issues are due to a lack of infrastructure rather than space. Heck, we create 700,000 job vacancies a year at the moment so theoretically would have no problem with higher net immigration.

Personally I want a larger population, economy and more power in the world. There's a reason Germany is more important than Norway.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
There's a reason Germany is more important than Norway.
Any yet Norway ranks consistently higher than Germany on many 'happiness indexes'.

Clearly being important doesn't make the Germans happier.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Any yet Norway ranks consistently higher than Germany on many 'happiness indexes'.

Clearly being important doesn't make the Germans happier.
I'm happy as I am, don't much care if the Germans are depressed or Norwegians happier.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm happy as I am, don't much care if the Germans are depressed or Norwegians happier.
But then equally you wouldn't care that the Germans were more important than the Norwegians? Yet you've made reference to it which implies you'd rather we were more like the Germans than Norwegians.

So the question is; Would you rather be important or happy?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
But then equally you wouldn't care that the Germans were more important than the Norwegians? Yet you've made reference to it which implies you'd rather we were more like the Germans than Norwegians.

So the question is; Would you rather be important or happy?
I personally would choose happiness.

As a nation, I'd rather we were important and happy enough.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I personally would choose happiness.

As a nation, I'd rather we were important and happy enough.
Britain had a go at being important and we didn't go a great job of it.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by offhegoes)
Britain had a go at being important and we didn't go a great job of it.
Pah. Giving it up was a horrid decision.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We need to make fat people thinner so we can all fit on this tiny island without falling off the edge.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Pah. Giving it up was a horrid decision.
Head. In. Sand.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cap only on third world nations- additional free movement for japan, South Korea and Anglosphere ( possibly excluding the US or some dry of restriction)
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Cap only on third world nations- additional free movement for japan, South Korea and Anglosphere ( possibly excluding the US or some dry of restriction)
Why would you want less Americans? Agree though.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why would you want less Americans? Agree though.
With the sheer level of wealth inequality on the USA it would mean we'd get the bums of Boston rather than the cream of NY coming here. Our NHS wouldn't be sable to cope at all ( may not bother some people but that would be an election loser!)
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
With the sheer level of wealth inequality on the USA it would mean we'd get the bums of Boston rather than the cream of NY coming here. Our NHS wouldn't be sable to cope at all ( may not bother some people but that would be an election loser!)
Easy to solve by requiring a payment for citizenship. Set the rate at say 10k each, kids free.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Easy to solve by requiring a payment for citizenship. Set the rate at say 10k each, kids free.
Wow, flogging off the NHS on the cheap?! 10k gets you bugger all health care, why do you think most travel insurance medical covers go into the millions?

Most countries do offer a 'buy your way in' route for the wealthy/retired but it is usually around the half a million mark as that actually covers the potential liability.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (28)
15.82%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (56)
31.64%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (20)
11.3%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
9.04%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (8)
4.52%
I think it's an unfair expectation (46)
25.99%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.69%

Watched Threads