Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi

OK, I need help sooner than I thought.

I have now checked out

http://www.justjobs4students.co.uk
http://www.hotrecruit.co.uk
http://www.e4s.co.uk
http://www.summerjobs4students.co.uk
http://www.activate.co.uk (which happens to be a copy of no.1)

I have also handed in my CV to every shop in my local town and ask if there was anything going and there is nothing.

I have been turned down by Tesco already but I am waiting to heard from Showcase Cinemas. I know there is a job there, I have applied, its the waiting.

By September, I need £430 (long story). I have £100 of this already but I need the rest.

Any sugestions or help or anything?

BTW Phil, Google was no help!
Leekey, how much do you know about burning cds?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
If I had £1 for everything I know about software piracy and burning CD's then I would easily be the richest man on this planet.

^When he gets back from his hols Pettrozi will verify this^

Why sweetie???
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Easy way of earn a few quid until I get something proper.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
CD burning is a proper job!!!!!

I have a friend who earns around £150 per week from burning alone. It is a relatively simple way to make money. If you have a large group of friends and can get on with people you secretly hate / fancy / loath then you can easily be making money very quickly. The only drawback comes when you have to make a house delivery to someone who lives very far away.
BTW - When I say friend, I actually mean someone of my build and my height who looks and thinks (funnily enough) just like me.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Well, that's out.

My secret is I'm a bit of loner. I have about 10 friends who live about 6 miles far away.

Sorry I insulted "your friend's" job.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
"My friend" has had worse things said about his job. He has also been talked into making a donation to charity once a year to make up for his "sins". I blame his G'friend who dislikes his job intensely!

Have you considered those catalogue delivery things. I heard you can get around £4 a hour if you live in some areas.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
God, I'm being so negative.

We have so many of them catalogue delivery around here so I doubt it.

I found out that job my mum wouldn't allow me to apply for had a mini age of 18.

I'm browse http://www.studentmax.co.uk for money saving ideas but unless you can think of something I can do with free condoms except use them. I'm stuck.

How did "your friends" job start and why did he decide to do it? I'm interested, enlighten me. How does he feel knowing he's breaking to law?

My mum want me to work at Oxfam for £0 p/h until I get a job.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
"My friend" started in 1997 when he got his first CD-writer (I think it was a BTC-30045 or something like that). From there he just did copying for his friends / family at a small profit. He really began to produce a decent turnover in year 8 when he got more and more "connected" with everyone at his highschool. He continued from there and now as well as producing the copies for everyone he knows (and in some cases, doesn't know) he does the copying for some of the more "underground" warehouses in the UK (he tells me this is very profitable work if you can get it).

He is very aware that he is breaking the law but as he see's it, he is righting some terrible wrongs. Did you know it costs Microsoft about £6 to produce the Visual Basic Professional Edition and they then sell it for £900 (VERY wrong).

If you don't hear anything soon then I would be tempted to follow your mum's advice for the following reasons:

1) Looks very good on a university application.
2) Prospective employers like to see you take the initiative.
3) What else are you going to do?? (dont say spend the holidays drinking because thats my excuse).
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Originally posted by Leekey

dont say spend the holidays drinking because thats my excuse.
I'm tea-total. This is a bad expression because I don't even like tea.

Anyway, out of curiousity, where does your friend get the music in the first place? How much does it cost him to burn a cd and how much profit does he make?
tweetsy85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if all else fails you could always resort to doing odd jobs such as babysitting, cleaning family's/neighbours' cars and mowing lawns :-D
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Thank you tweetsy. I guess that is an option, if it would earn £300 in 7 weeks. I don't know but thanks.
tweetsy85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hmmm good point. I guess all you can do is try and try again. persist in searching for jobs & eventually u will find one. If tesco didnt take u, try sainsburys, waitrose, asda, safeway, M&S. i know other places like WHS also take students. the more places u apply to, the more likely u'll find a job.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
Music can be gotten from a great many sources e.g. friends, family, internet, fellow burners (e.g. Pettrozi), share rings etc...

It costs him around 16p to make a CD (80p with a Jewel Case), about £2 to make a DVD.

Prices depend on the retail value of the item. You usually pay around 25% of the retail price. The most expensive item is £50, that is for a piece of software with a retail value of £4500 (so its comparatively cheap).
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Well when I took over the "Cabin Fever" topic, I explained I'd be gald just working (you have to read to understand).

I spent 5 hours today, going from shop to shop asking for work. I must of hand out 20+ copies of my CV because I had to photocopy more half way through.

I have left a copy with superdrug, whsmiths, woolworths, birthdays, poundstrecher, poundline, currys, b&q (yes B&Q) and loads more.

I was stuck in charm mode all morning.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Originally posted by Leekey
Music can be gotten from a great many sources e.g. friends, family, internet, fellow burners (e.g. Pettrozi), share rings etc...

It costs him around 16p to make a CD (80p with a Jewel Case), about £2 to make a DVD.

Prices depend on the retail value of the item. You usually pay around 25% of the retail price. The most expensive item is £50, that is for a piece of software with a retail value of £4500 (so its comparatively cheap).
WOW!! Your friend must be rolling in it.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
He is doing OK for himself but enough is never enough with him. I secretly hate him but shhhh......he might hear me
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Does your friend fancy lending me £300 then? Only joking!!

I'm going to town again tomorrow. I only managed to do half of the shops today and the market is open tommorrow too. Should be fun - not!

I'm going now for today. I want to watch tele.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
Have fun and make sure if you watch BB, you should shout "THE TICKLE" everytime Jon comes on (like me).
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
try looking in the leader, hehe ive just worked out u live close to me if you applied in showcase- that place rox!

rct are always advertising jobs and theyre minimum pay is £5.

theres jobs going in ponty - clairs accesory's i know is lookin for people. which town did you look in???

i can get you a job packing pasties on a sunday morning in a factory in hirwaun.

or you could always try looking in cardiff - most of the shops there need staff for the school holidays!

love Katy ***
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
OK, so now I have to know what "Showcase" is!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads