IcedArizona
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello!
I would like to know if any of you have dealt with issues concerning age. I will be applying for 2017 entry and will be passing my French baccalaureat then. My problem is that most unis require their students to be 18 by the time the course starts and I only turn 18 by mid-october (only a few weeks after start of course). I was wondering if any of you had/have the same issue, and if you know a list of universities that don't have age restrictions.

Thanks a lot!
Whatisanerdeven?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey!! I had this issue! I'm applying for medicine 2016 entry and I'm a year younger than my peers but like you become 18 early October.

Anyway,from unis I was interested in Leicester and Keele were very strict about this and advised me to apply the next year whereas Birmingham manchester sheffield and Liverpool didn't mind at all

If you just email the unis you're intrsted in ( email the medical admissions teams ) and they should give you clear ideas x
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IcedArizona)
Hello!
I would like to know if any of you have dealt with issues concerning age. I will be applying for 2017 entry and will be passing my French baccalaureat then. My problem is that most unis require their students to be 18 by the time the course starts and I only turn 18 by mid-october (only a few weeks after start of course). I was wondering if any of you had/have the same issue, and if you know a list of universities that don't have age restrictions.

Thanks a lot!
My son has similar issues and applied to Newcastle, Durham, Nottingham and Aberdeen with no problem. If I remember correctly from the research, Leicester, Manchester, Kings, Glasgow, Dundee and Edinburgh were also OK with an under 18 starter (Scottish Uni's are usually OK as run different HE and school years).
UCL definitely wasn't (remember that one as he really wanted to go there) and know several of the others had lower age limits too, but cannot categorically say I can remember which ones. It sometimes took some digging out but the info was available on websites or in the prospectus. Good luck
Newcastle University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IcedArizona)
Hello!

Thanks a lot!
It will differ between universities, but the 2016 Admissions Policy for Medicine at Newcastle states that we don't impose an age limit, but due to Enhanced DBS / NHS regulations it might not be possible to admit someone who would be under 17 on entry. I doubt it will change for 2017 entry, and you'll be 17 when the course starts, so it's not a problem

There's more info about our general policies for students under 18 here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/sites/cen...0Procedure.pdf

All the best

Persephone
Cold Phoenix
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Looks like you have to research which schools allow 17 or take a gap year or deferred entry
roxanne13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
From my research, St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Leeds, Bristol, Brighton & Sussex, Nottingham, and Newcastle all accept 17 year old undergraduate medicine students.

Plymouth, Lancaster, and Leicester seem to be negotiable. So they won't automatically reject you just because of your age.

UCL, Imperial, Southampton, East Anglia, Hull York, King's, Queen Mary, and Sheffield require students to be 18 or above at the start of the course. I'm not sure about the other schools.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (502)
33.6%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (620)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (304)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.55%

Watched Threads