MattyJMP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys, just a bit of background, I've applied for Physics at Nottingham and Cardiff, but essentially only have one offer, Nottingham on AAB with AA in physics and maths, and Cardiff on AAA (Nottingham is my firm, I absolutely loved it). I'm on deferred entry because I have a physics related internship next year!
However I'm not sure I'll make the grades, I think chemistry went well (hopefully an A*), physics hopefully an A but I don't think my first exam went great, and I think maths is gonna be right on the A/B boundary.

Firstly, do you think that either of my universities will consider me with lower grades, especially because I'm on deferred entry, and am I right in saying that I can't really do clearing because I'm on the 2016 entry? Secondly, how do you guys think I would get on reapplying next year with let's say A*AB and retaking one exam to get the B to an A. I mean surely my internship would count for quite a bit? And would there be any point in reapplying to Nottingham after this, I know some universities don't like the 3 year retakes, but it's not like I'm in actual sixth form for 3 years or I've totally failed my exams...
Thanks a lot for any help
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MattyJMP)
Hi guys, just a bit of background, I've applied for Physics at Nottingham and Cardiff, but essentially only have one offer, Nottingham on AAB with AA in physics and maths, and Cardiff on AAA (Nottingham is my firm, I absolutely loved it). I'm on deferred entry because I have a physics related internship next year!
However I'm not sure I'll make the grades, I think chemistry went well (hopefully an A*), physics hopefully an A but I don't think my first exam went great, and I think maths is gonna be right on the A/B boundary.

Firstly, do you think that either of my universities will consider me with lower grades, especially because I'm on deferred entry, and am I right in saying that I can't really do clearing because I'm on the 2016 entry? Secondly, how do you guys think I would get on reapplying next year with let's say A*AB and retaking one exam to get the B to an A. I mean surely my internship would count for quite a bit? And would there be any point in reapplying to Nottingham after this, I know some universities don't like the 3 year retakes, but it's not like I'm in actual sixth form for 3 years or I've totally failed my exams...
yes i m afraid you cant go through clearing if you ve an existing offer for deferred entry.
I would ask nottingham and cardiff themselves if they will accept resists or not as not all universities will, if you do miss you offer by one grade they could still accept you but it all varies on what other applicants get especially as you ve gone for deferred entry.
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MattyJMP)

Universities can decide to take you even if you miss your offer, and it's very common for people to worry at this stage that they haven't got the grades they need (most do get them ). For courses like Physics there is usually some flexibility, but it's impossible to say at this point how much. Being a deferred entry candidate may make a difference, though on the whole I doubt it. You are right that Clearing places will be for 2015, but in the event that you didn't get your firm choice this year you would be better off reapplying anyway. As to whether it would be worth re-sitting, that depends on what your grades turn out to be and in what subjects. You would have to ask Notts what their view of a resit would be, as it's very much up to the unis what they are prepared to accept.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads