The Student Room Group

Why do we never talk about how men got the right vote?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by minor bun engine
Conscription is the absolute ultimate loss of personal freedom, one which often resulted in prolonged and painful death. In no sane person's mind is this discrimination again women - men were forced to give up their lives and women were not - they had it a hundred fold worse than any women's rights activist in history. Take this **** to tumblr.

Let me ask this another way... why do you think only men were conscripted?
Let me ask this another way, if women were conscripted against their will to die in their millions while men werent, would you think the women weren't discriminated against by it?
Reply 42
Original post by caravaggio2
Let me ask this another way, if women were conscripted against their will to die in their millions while men werent, would you think the women weren't discriminated against by it?

It would depend entirely on the curcumstances which would have lead to that regrettable situation. Since you haven't given me any such background, I can't really elaborate my answer.

So getting back to my question...?
Original post by offhegoes
Yes, in a society that didn't recognise a woman as having any kind of place of the battlefield... If you think that it was gender discrimination then I'm utterly baffled. The sole reason women weren't conscripted was that they were already discounted as being elligible to join the army. Ergo, the conscription was directed as anyone who was considered elligible, ergo this was not gender discrimination which requires it to have been solely based on their gender.

How ****ing dare you? Do you really have the cheek to say that this wasn't REALLY gender discrimination against men, because who they were REALLY discriminating against was women by NOT letting them join the army in the first place. That this immense tragedy that overwhelmingly targeted men, because of a sexist policy with regards to conscription that was unquestionably negative for the MEN it applied to was either NOT an example of gender discrimination, or if it was, was one where women were the real victims.

Has it crossed your mind that gender discrimination might perhaps be more complex than men opressing women, and that perhaps it might affect BOTH men and women.
Original post by minor bun engine
Conscription is the absolute ultimate loss of personal freedom, one which often resulted in prolonged and painful death. In no sane person's mind is this discrimination again women - men were forced to give up their lives and women were not - they had it a hundred fold worse than any women's rights activist in history. Take this **** to tumblr.

Forget it, they're clearly a troll, or deluded beyond help. That's the only way to explain somebody who is so dogmatic in their apparent belief that the conscription of men and ONLY men into what is possibly the bloodiest war in history, where some were made to march straight on into machine gun fire is not an example of gender discrimination against men ... but that page 3 is an example of gross discrimination towards women.
Reply 45
Original post by limetang
How ****ing dare you? Do you really have the cheek to say that this wasn't REALLY gender discrimination against men, because who they were REALLY discriminating against was women by NOT letting them join the army in the first place. That this immense tragedy that overwhelmingly targeted men, because of a sexist policy with regards to conscription that was unquestionably negative for the MEN it applied to was either NOT an example of gender discrimination, or if it was, was one where women were the real victims.

Has it crossed your mind that gender discrimination might perhaps be more complex than men opressing women, and that perhaps it might affect BOTH men and women.

Barely 10 years ago my country still had obligatory male conscription while women had no obligation whatsoever. That means being forced to go through 6 to 12 months of military training and life simply because you were born a man . Your freedom or human rights meant nothing. In some countries it's 24 months. And this is still peanuts compared to being sent to fight at Verdun. I was lucky enough to avoid it but if someone told me to my face that me being denied up to a year of my life simply because I happen to be male was actually sexist against women I would have... well, I don't know what I would have done, but I do know they would have required extensive reconstructive surgery for a good part of their life. Male feminists should be arrested on sight and sent to ISIS for further processing, I might actually watch one of their cinematic productions for a change.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
Oh dear, emotions running a little high.

Instead of getting bogged down in the emotive descriptions of the horror that was WW1, and is war in general, let's remember that I have acknowledged that this was a tragedy that affected men more so than women through no fault of the men themselves.

But how about instead of cherry-picking the aspects of my posts that you get yourselves most in a kerfuffle about and focusing in on those, I'd be interested to hear your views on two points of mine that have yet to be addressed:

1) If you believe that WW1 was specifically gender discrimination, then why do you think men and only men were conscripted during WW1?

2) What are your thoughts on my argument that women being barred from joining the army was gender discrimination, so how could it be reasonable to say that on this particular occasion, in which being barred from joining the army resulted in a benefit to women, they were now being discriminated for?

Please be assured I'm not a troll and have no wish to offend, but neither do I feel inclined to moderate my posts to specifically avoid offence. I gain no satisfaction from getting involved in petty squabbles on a personal level, even if I may sometimes come across a little cutting/dismissive/arrogant/rude... For me arguing/debating is about learning the views of others, holding my own beliefs and thoughts up to the light and thus gaining a better understanding of things...
Reply 47
Also, for the sake of decency I'll skip over the advocacy of murder for these "male feminists", also called, I believe, "femininists".
Because basically how women got the vote is more exciting. I mean it wasn't men who walloped policemen and blew up houses!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dandaman1
Oddly, however, women seemed quite content with not being subject to conscription and never campaigned for the privilege (I wonder why?). In fact, many of the suffragettes were quite active in pressuring young men into fighting (men who also didn't have the right to vote, but saw no similar support from the suffragettes on the matter).

Was female suffrage a gender issue? Yes. But regardless, it wasn't because men got the right to vote simply for being men in the years prior, but because they saw that they had the right as tax-paying citizens whom were expected to serve and die in the name of their country. Women, however, were not expected to perform this role, nor did they by enlarge, so it was the husband who cast the ballot.

Despite the significance of men's suffrage, and the fact that it eventually helped pave the way for women's suffrage, it is nearly always forgotten and overshadowed by the more popular and romanticized story of the suffragettes.

Amen! Most people don't know their history and I laugh when they try to "school" me and instead get schooled themselves.
Original post by 1420787
So in a society which had long perpetuated the notion that women had no place fighting on the battlefield, you don't see why large numbers of women didn't campaign to be allowed to now?

You seem to be at pains to paint shaming eligible citizens into fighting as a suffragette enterprise, when it was very much a male endeavour too. You also seem to be fixated on the vote as being something that has to be earned be, for example, fighting in a war. Why? The suffragettes were fighting for the right to vote simply based upon the principle that they ought to have equal voting rights to men. I'll assume then that you support the right of 16 year olds to vote then, since they pay taxes and can join the army?

No-one talks about universal male suffrage much firstly because it is simoly a stepping stone towards true universal suffrage and secondly because the name is misleading. Not misleading because any objective person would skew it in this way, but because others, such as you, will use the name to paint it as a male endeavour against injustice unto themselves. It is/was an issue of wealth and privelidge, so rather than being used to deflect attention away from the ongoing efforts towards gender equality it really should be more widely discussed in the context of the injustice along the lines of status and wealth.

So, *ahem*, in a society which had long perpetuated the notion that women had no place in voting why did we see a large number of women campaign for the right to be allowed to then?

The reason why men were allowed to vote was because millions of men died fighting for their country which was considered admirable enough to give them the right to vote. THAT is why it is important. The right to vote, the right to be a voice in the deciding factor of who runs the country, should be in the hands of those who earned it. Men before 1916, who owned property and land, had the right to vote because they had a stake in the land and it's wealth, they also had to be conscripted when war broke out as a condition of this right, and that is how they earned their vote. When the rest of the men were allowed to vote the same terms and conditions were agreed yet when women "earned" theirs there were no terms and conditions. It was just given to them even though they acted like terrorists by setting fires and being general nuisances, because they thought they deserved it when they didn't.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 1420787
I notice that you have taken the first part of my post and ignored the rest, which clarified that I was disputing the statement made that "men were discriminated against", which you yourself have just repeated.

The poor were discriminated against, which impacted, amongst any others, poor men who were made to fight. They were not discriminated against because of their gender, but because they were poor. Society in general discriminated not against men, but against poor people and women.

Please try not to paraphrase unless you're prepared to answer the question I asked in the context I was a at pains to make clear.

No, the men who were allowed to vote HAD to fight in any war that came about because the condition for their right to vote was mandatory conscription! They couldn't say no if war broke out which is why every rich man was in the army. The same conditions were forced onto men in 1918 when they received their right to vote, which is still in effect today, while women do not have these conditions and don't want them. Why aren't feminists fighting for that kind of equality? It's been 100 years and not one feminist has made a peep about it. I wonder why? Because it doesn't benefit women to be held to the same standards as men. Men have had it far worse than women ever have and have been deemed as expendable since the dawn of time, yet you claim women to be oppressed?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending