Chrome or Firefox, Which is better?

Watch
andylee929
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As the title says it all. Which one is better in windows. Chrome looks simple and easy to use, while the interface of Firefox seems more functional.
an.enigma
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Firefox.

I say this based on its memory consumption and browser benchmarks (excels at processing JavaScript).

However, chrome is pretty good with its minimalist design.
Pvdp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chrome. Not sure if firefox also uses webkit but many pages only support webkit.
Chrome is fast, but uses alot of memory.
Many addons + nice design

Posted from TSR Mobile
Raven of the Sun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
chrome for boys firefox for girls internet explorer for old geezers
come at me
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chrome uses a lot of memory because it's free and it RAMdisks everything for speed. If you don't have a lot of spare RAM then it doesn't.
Logi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Firefox imo. I'm testing Edge at the moment though and once it gets add-on support I think it could actually become my default browser. Chrome is way too CPU and memory hungry and well, **** google.
username1551801
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chrome uses a lot of memory because each tab has it's own process address space, meaning the who browser doesn't crash if one tab does.
Kash24411
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have used both for a very long time and Chrome is a lot better.
saeed97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Raven of the Sun)
chrome for boys firefox for girls internet explorer for old geezers
come at me
U callin me a girl m8?
U want some?
go2thezoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Firefox is more secured with better privacy , faster , doesnt force me to get updates , has tons of addons
The Warsmith
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lol.

Firefox is so 2004. Get with the times mate
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by andylee929)
As the title says it all. Which one is better in windows. Chrome looks simple and easy to use, while the interface of Firefox seems more functional.
Up until April of 2015, I'd have said Chrome all the time.

Now: Firefox, because Chrome has decided to kill support for a vast amount of plugins. In fact if and when my Chrome updates to version 45 I'm off to Firefox, or Pale Moon.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chrome....just faster, of course ram, but I got plenty.
I also like the fact that each tab is it's own thing.

I did use firefox before, was hesitant about moving to chrome, but did notice the performance difference.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by spotify95)
Up until April of 2015, I'd have said Chrome all the time.

Now: Firefox, because Chrome has decided to kill support for a vast amount of plugins. In fact if and when my Chrome updates to version 45 I'm off to Firefox, or Pale Moon.
Silverlight is not a vast amount. Name the others.
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Silverlight is not a vast amount. Name the others.
I've got 13 plugins (not including performance differences between Flash versions) that are going to cause issues. One of them is Java, and one of them - which hasn't seen any decline in usage recently - is Google Talk. And no I am NOT upgrading to Hangouts, because Hangouts is rubbish.

Edit: Here we go:
  1. Canon Image Gateway Album Plugin
  2. Silverlight
  3. NPAPI Flash player - yes there is a PPAPI one available but in my experience the NPAPI one offers better performance and doesn't lag - plus doesn't heat up my CPU as much
  4. Picasa - c'mon this is a Google product, surely this should be supported! or is it too out of date?
  5. Adobe Reader
  6. Quicktime Player
  7. Microsoft Office Authorization
  8. JAVA!!!!! Note that Java have stated that they will NOT be going to PPAPI. I can't find the article atm but it is around on the net somewhere.
  9. McAfee Virtual Technician, this was required to sort out a McAfee issue that I had once before.
  10. Windows Live Photo Gallery
  11. Itunes Application Detector - this is the thing that allows me to open links in iTunes emails and automatically open up iTunes (on my PC) when I click the relevant link
  12. GOOGLE TALK!!!!!!!! A MUST HAVE if you have a Gmail account, and want to know whether the person you're chatting to has a webcam or not (for video chats) or whether they are on PC or Android (so you can tailor the messages, obviously using shorter messages for Android use). Google talk is also required for video chats. (Yes there is Hangouts but it won't differentiate between different devices, all it shows is an online/offline icon. It doesn't even show a video chat icon. Because of this I won't be using Hangouts)
  13. Adobe Shockwave Player - and I have used this quite often
  14. McAfee Security Center. Not sure what it does but it must do something useful.
I need most of those plugins to be available to me - especially (3), (5), (11), (12), (13), with the option of having (9) available if I run into any issues with McAfee. After the next update only (3) will be available, with limited performance.

Any solutions other than moving to Firefox/Pale Moon, which supports all 14 of the above plugins?
_Fergo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chrome... I've tried everything but nothing comes close to it!
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by spotify95)
I've got 13 plugins that are going to cause issues. One of them is Java, and one of them - which hasn't seen any decline in usage recently - is Google Talk. And no I am NOT upgrading to Hangouts, because Hangouts is rubbish.
Java? Why is Java going to cause an issue? Chrome supports Java, you know... And you do realise that Google will shut down Talk as a standalone product pretty soon. Just switch over to Hangout and be done with it - it's a decent service.

What are the other 11?
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Java? Why is Java going to cause an issue? Chrome supports Java, you know... And you do realise that Google will shut down Talk as a standalone product pretty soon. Just switch over to Hangout and be done with it - it's a decent service.

What are the other 11?
Java is a NPAPI plugin which will be dropped on Chrome v45?

Yes I do realize that Talk will be shut down one day in the future but it still works now and so long as it still works I'll stay with it I'll upgrade to Hangouts when they can differentiate between webcam (i.e. video chat), non webcam and non-PC users (i.e Android). Currently it won't do that.

I updated my old post to show the other plugins, and which ones I need to keep.

Edit: Here we go...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04...ava_chrome_42/
And, straight from Javas website:
https://java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml

NPAPI support by Chrome
NPAPI support by Chrome
The Java plug-in for web browsers relies on the cross platform plugin architecture NPAPI, which has long been, and currently is, supported by all major web browsers. Google announced in September 2013 plans to remove NPAPI support from Chrome by "the end of 2014", thus effectively dropping support for Silverlight, Java, Facebook Video and other similar NPAPI based plugins. Recently, Google has revised their plans and now state that they plan to completely remove NPAPI by late 2015. As it is unclear if these dates will be further extended or not, we strongly recommend Java users consider alternatives to Chrome as soon as possible. Instead, we recommend Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari as longer-term options. As of April 2015, starting with Chrome Version 42, Google has added an additional step to configuring NPAPI based plugins like Java to run — see the section Enabling NPAPI in Chrome Version 42 and laterbelow.

Also, if you look here you'll see that G Talk use hasn't dropped much at all.
username1799509
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chrome.
vis break
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Firefox doesn't remember your history.
You have to delete it manually on Chrome.
so yea...firefox wins
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (96)
61.94%
No (59)
38.06%

Watched Threads