The Student Room Group

Alternatives to drinking during freshers week

What else is there to do?
There is plenty to do during Freshers! There's always different events on and what not that you can attend. Different outings and what not. Even the freshers events where people drink, you can still go because they are fun, just don't drink! Don't feel exclude from drinking events you can still have fun!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Just being yourself and not feeling pressured into things you aren't comfortable with seems to be the general advice (while not shutting yourself away at the same time)
netflix
Increasingly SUs are trying to promote an inclusive attitude towards freshers - therefore will often have freshers events that don't include alcohol before nights out. :smile:

It's down to an individual SU but there's certainly nothing to worry about if you either don't drink or you want to go to a quieter event than a night out. :h:
Reply 5
My uni's a collegiate uni so each college organises its own events during the week. My college was really good in organising events that weren't always geared towards drinking - there was at least 1 every night e.g film night, board games night. On the pub quiz night that was the only official event, so whole flats went, both drinkers and non-drinkers. Societies might also put on events. I went to some of these events on the first few days and made some great friends, then later in the week when we weren't too keen on what was going on we hung out together and did whatever - this continued for the rest of the year! :tongue:
Did you know that about a third of University students don't drink at all ....?
All Student Unions are very conscious of this - and that having everything revolving around getting wasted doesn't do much to dispel the reputation for laddish behaviour or the overall image of the Uni.

So ALL Unis will have a load of stuff that doesnt involve drinking - cinema trips, coffee crawls, daytime/evening sightseeing walks, quiz nights, trips to the zoo, you name it. And of course, you can go to the pub without drinking alcohol - no-one will actually think this in any way odd.
Original post by returnmigrant
Did you know that about a third of University students don't drink at all ....?
All Student Unions are very conscious of this - and that having everything revolving around getting wasted doesn't do much to dispel the reputation for laddish behaviour or the overall image of the Uni.

So ALL Unis will have a load of stuff that doesnt involve drinking - cinema trips, coffee crawls, daytime/evening sightseeing walks, quiz nights, trips to the zoo, you name it. And of course, you can go to the pub without drinking alcohol - no-one will actually think this in any way odd.

Wow, you really releaved, I am not a drinker so I thought, maybe other student will find it rather odd

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're more likely to be considered anti social if you don't go out than if you do go to the pub or bar and drink non alcoholic drinks.
Lots of people worry about this. A couple of drinks in a nice sunny pub garden with some new found friends isn't the same as getting totally legless every night. Freshers Week isn't about being permanently wasted - promise.
Uh.....not drinking
Go out and stick to soft drinks =)
I don't really understand the question. Drinking, eating, sleeping, walking, partying. There are loads of different things to do.
Original post by Penguinfarts
You forgot excreting.

That comes under "partying"
You will be surprised at the sheer number of freshers who are tee-totals, you definitely won't be the odd one in the lot! If that can be of any reassurance, I didn't drink an iota of alcohol during freshers' week and still had fun!
Reply 15
Original post by TomatoLounge
What else is there to do?

Not everyone drinks and the student union (SU) at the universities know that. I went to Newman university and they were many suitable activities organised for non-drinkers, and other groups like mature students or those with kids. So they try to include everyone, and if there's an activity that you want but they don't have, you could speak to the SU and they will try to sort out- they're very kind! Activities include theme parks, cinemas, bowling, theatres, going into other cities... Both on and off campus. You'll be surprised how much you could do :smile:
I'm scared about going to a club for a first time with my friends. I turned 18 three months ago and I've never been in one and I feel so embarassed and inadequate because of it I promise I'm not a weirdo or a loner :L

I'm going to university, I have a part time job, i have lots of friends who I've been on holiday with at concerts, gigs and festivals with

Most of them have never been to a club either but we're going soon and I'm scared.

I'm a bit shy/awkward so I don't feel comfortable dancing around people - are there many people at clubs who just stay seated or stand at the sides or around the bar without dancing or will I just look weird?
(I've heard firewater in Glasgow is good if you don't want to dance - is this true? is there anywhere else in glasgow like this?)

I want to drink a bit so I'll feel a more relaxed and comfortable but I really really really really don't want my mum and dad to know I've had a drink so I can't get drunk :frown:
- how much would you say I could drink but be sober enough for them not tonotice when I come home?I know I'm not fat but I'm really self conscious that I'm not skinny. I hate my thighs and knees so I hate the thought of short skirt/dresses with bare legs :frown: - is it ok to wear black tights in a club? do other people wear black tights in a club? :P
If not I guess I could wear high waisted jeans, heels and a fancy strappy top but i hate the tops of my thighs in jeans :L

any advice at all is really appreciated :smile: thnku v v v much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending