Any tips to get straight A* at gcse? Watch

ppjk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I want to do medicine and as it is so competitive I think this will help me. Any tips?
espicton98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ppjk)
I want to do medicine and as it is so competitive I think this will help me. Any tips?
Start revising early; around January time. Do every past paper over and over again and start making your own when you're finished. Assume you will forget everything by the time of the exam and cover everything in revision, work hard in and out of lessons and be prepared to put your social life on hold for a few months; the good results will be worth it!!
ppjk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by espicton98)
Start revising early; around January time. Do every past paper over and over again and start making your own when you're finished. Assume you will forget everything by the time of the exam and cover everything in revision, work hard in and out of lessons and be prepared to put your social life on hold for a few months; the good results will be worth it!!
Thanks. Have you already done your gcses? Which subjects did you take?
Laurasaur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1) Use the specifications as a checklist for what you need to learn. If you're doing AQA English language, then use google to search 'AQA GCSE English Language specification *year*'.

2) Make sure you understand everything you're being taught. Ask for help when needed! If you don't understand one explanation, find another for the same concept.

3) Use the Internet to get resources, e.g. MrBruff YouTube for English, examsolutions for maths, TSR has some great revision material as a place to start.

4) Use revision techniques that work for you e.g. flash cards, mindmapping, posters, look-read-cover-write-check, making diagrams to illustrate processes etc. If you can't remember something after revising it, it isn't revision.

5) Practice with past papers (if available) and mark your own work, learning from mistakes. This is how you learn 'exam technique', by picking up the phrasing of answers, and how much you need to write for each question.

6) Start revising when you want. Too early, and you'll have forgotten what you did. Too late, and you'll stress yourself out. You'll want around 6-8 weeks to cover everything, but make sure it's doable for YOU.

7) You might lose motivation. You will want to give up - don't. Saying this, make sure you aren't revising ALL the time, you'll burn out too quickly.

8) Good luck
espicton98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ppjk)
Thanks. Have you already done your gcses? Which subjects did you take?
Yeah just took them this year and waiting for my results in August

I took triple science, history, French and sociology
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads