Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student Bank Accounts watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Lo all,

Becuase it seems i'll most likely get into uni now i'm considering sorting out a student bank account. Some some of you please reply with which bank you have chosen to go with and why.

I'm pretty much new to all this so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

David

ReputationRep:
    hsbc. As i was already with them.

You do realise you wont be able to get the account till august 14th or whenever you get your alevel results though yeah?

ReputationRep:
    From friends' experience.

HSBC will offer you the world and then stick loads of charges on.

Nat West seem to be OK.

Royal Bank of Scotland OK if you only ever use one branch but if you are using one at home and one at uni be ready for problems.

Yorkshire don't do a student account but their ordianry account is OK -I'm part time so can't have a student account anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Abbey National, becuase they are not too pushy, don't offer fancy gimicks to try and trap you and they also offer a good overdraft rate with 0% interest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going with Barclays because we've been with them for years, we have no complaints and I like them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynox)
    hsbc. As i was already with them.

You do realise you wont be able to get the account till august 14th or whenever you get your alevel results though yeah?
    at HSBC you can get a student account now. They just give you an account number and a sort code (so that you can give the details of your account to the student loan company) and then the account becomes fully operational after your place is confirmed.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve got mine with HSBC, mainly because I’d already got an account with them so it was easy to transfer and I wanted the railcard. I’ve had no problems with them so far, have a £1,000 free overdraft but then I think a lot of banks offer that with their student accounts.

ReputationRep:
    Same as above. I'm already with HSBC, find them fine, and I want the railcard

ReputationRep:
    someone will listen to this one day

Free five-year railcard
    HSBC Young Persons Railcard worth £90 - calculation based on buying the railcard from ATOC each year for 5 years at a cost of £18.00 per year. The offer applies to first year students only and ends on 11/10/03
    it's been written here like at least 5 times

(this above quote is from hsbc.co.uk so i dunno id they've reintroduced this offer!)

ReputationRep:
    Barclays - I've has an account there for years, so has my dad. They seem pretty good - telephone banking with them is first class.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the info guys, i'll check out the brances soon.

David

ReputationRep:
    note for students going to scottish unis- make sure you have a local branch! i was going to go with HSBC, but have now discovered that there isn't a branch in dundee, so will prob go with Royal Bank of Scotland because there is one on campus and my parents have been with them for years + my brother ahs had no prob with his student account with them.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Abbey National is quite good because you get a Visa card (its delta/visa debit but has the visa sign) which you can use abroad without any difficulty.
    Also, they have coffee in their branches!

Does anyone know if you can get a student bank account this year if you've deferred entry until next year but get your results this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyP)
    Abbey National is quite good because you get a Visa card (its delta/visa debit but has the visa sign) which you can use abroad without any difficulty.
    Also, they have coffee in their branches!

Does anyone know if you can get a student bank account this year if you've deferred entry until next year but get your results this year?
    HSBC offer a gap year account.

ReputationRep:
    I have a current plus account with Natwest, got my statement this morning, quoted from a leaflet sent with it...

For those of you off to University in the autumn, our 2004 Student account package now includes a free 5-year Young Persons Railcard - worth £90 and available from June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philibob)
    I have a current plus account with Natwest, got my statement this morning, quoted from a leaflet sent with it...
    Yes I got one of those this week. I'm still going to close my account with them though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Abbey National, becuase they are not too pushy, don't offer fancy gimicks to try and trap you and they also offer a good overdraft rate with 0% interest.
    OMG abbey national were soooooo pushy with me!!! a whole gaggle of them accosted me and made me fill out an info form (which i did cos i thought it would be useful to compare with curretn bank) and gave me big bags of goodies and crap like mobile phone holders and copies of "19" magazine (what student reads that for god's sake!!!)... then the other day i got a letter saying that i had been half signed up for an account and all i had to do was go to the branch and show some i.d. and a ucas letter to sctivate it"!!!! errr... i just asked for some info to be sent!!! sure as hell wont be banking with them!

nat west i think... the nice lady who paid my cheque in the other day got chatting ot me about it the other day and called over the student-man to discuss it. 5 year railcards and overdrafts all the way

yeah - whoever it was who mentioned banks at scottish unis... check!!! cos even the big unis like glasgow dont have hsbc/natwest close!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philibob)

i hate it when they do that....i got a crappy £55.

one word of warning about natwest....they're really really nice untill you've signed the form....then expect hell.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    i ahd no complaint about my abbey account. Like someone else said the visa debit card is a big bonus cos some of my friends cards don't work on the internet or abroad and are quite frankly crap. also there is a vaguely decent rate of interest (i think just over 2%) when you're in credit compared with teh usual rubbish rate. This was only changed at the end of last year so instead of getting my usual 2p interest tehy suddenly started giving me and extra 4 or 5 quid a month.

ReputationRep:
    what do you think about Halifax account...?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.