The Student Room Group

What do you think is the HARDEST A LEVEL?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics to A2 and critical thinking to AS. I can tell you all they are easy; they ask the same questions year after year; if you start going over past papers early then you can't fail.

Languages, are absolutely solid, there's no predicting the questions and you really have to have to a high-level of grammar to scrape a pass.
Original post by youreanutter
And why do you think its the hardest a level subject
also what did u get in gcse for it and what did u get/predicted at AS/A2

People who do any language for A-Level are actually insane, unless they already speak it. The oral makes it so hard. I do Maths, further maths, Physics and History, which despite being perceived as the difficult and "good choice" subjects are actually quite easy. Further Maths and Maths does get really quite hard at A2 but other than that, its all pretty easy.

Art is easy if you can do art but if you can't its obviously also really hard because you can't just "learn" how to be good at art like you can other subjects.
I reckon Design Technology is the worst for me, I do Chemistry, Physics and Maths and by far DT is the worst.
It's not so much the exam because its common sense, the coursework just goes on for far too long (7 months for us) and none of us had any clue what to do or how to gain good grades in it until two weeks before the submission date. I never seem to do well with coursework, I find exams much easier.
This is of course really subjective and will be different for everyone, but depending on which exam board you're on, I would definitely say English literature is hell.

I'm on Edexcel for the reformed new a level (I know the other boards cover much less than we do) but we've had to cover 28 poems- many of which were pages long, 2 novels- wuthering heights and Dalloway and a play- streetcar, just for AS. One of my teachers isn't great and both are adamant that "no one gets above a B at AS" so I don't know if it's their marking or what, but I've only gotten 1 A all year.

I got an A* at GCSE and I'm predicted an A, as well as currently getting As in everything else, but Literature just refuses to budge for me.

It's not difficult to understand/ wrap your head around like science subjects might be, but the content is massive (I hate dalloway and the genre of poetry we cover as well which makes things worse) and it's seemingly impossible to do well in. Plus marking is really subjective so you just never know what you're going to come out with at the end of it all.
Original post by Gold-Confetti
This is of course really subjective and will be different for everyone, but depending on which exam board you're on, I would definitely say English literature is hell.

I'm on Edexcel for the reformed new a level (I know the other boards cover much less than we do) but we've had to cover 28 poems- many of which were pages long, 2 novels- wuthering heights and Dalloway and a play- streetcar, just for AS. One of my teachers isn't great and both are adamant that "no one gets above a B at AS" so I don't know if it's their marking or what, but I've only gotten 1 A all year.

I got an A* at GCSE and I'm predicted an A, as well as currently getting As in everything else, but Literature just refuses to budge for me.

It's not difficult to understand/ wrap your head around like science subjects might be, but the content is massive (I hate dalloway and the genre of poetry we cover as well which makes things worse) and it's seemingly impossible to do well in. Plus marking is really subjective so you just never know what you're going to come out with at the end of it all.

I completely agree. Are you carrying on with it to A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
I completely agree. Are you carrying on with it to A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I'm basically seeing what I get in the summer. I want to drop it desperately because it's doing my head in- but I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge and it's a facilitating subject so I kind of need it 😰.

The Shakespeare unit looks great too but facing this year again makes me want to cry. If I've scraped an A this year I'll be happy to keep it on. If it's a low B I'll probably drop because it's not worth all the content and the work to come out with a B that hinders my application. Plus I dread the prospect that I could get some horrendous 4 A Level offer that expects me to do well in lit that I can't meet!

I just wish I was on a nicer exam board with different content. I actually love literature, and I'm good at it but they've just picked such *****y areas to cover 😒
Geology (in A2).
Original post by Smug Life
probably physics or chemistry
just wait for the humanities people to come in and claim it's something like history lmao

History is bloody difficult. Physics isn't even that bad if you've got the aptitude - though of course that can be said for any subject.
Well, I'm basically seeing what I get in the summer. I want to drop it desperately because it's doing my head in- but I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge and it's a facilitating subject so I kind of need it 😰.

The Shakespeare unit looks great too but facing this year again makes me want to cry. If I've scraped an A this year I'll be happy to keep it on. If it's a low B I'll probably drop because it's not worth all the content and the work to come out with a B that hinders my application. Plus I dread the prospect that I could get some horrendous 4 A Level offer that expects me to do well in lit that I can't meet!

I just wish I was on a nicer exam board with different content. I actually love literature, and I'm good at it but they've just picked such *****y areas to cover 😒

Yeah same, I think I'll be happy with a B as it's linear so the AS result only matters for application purposes. I'm having a gap year so don't necessarily need to apply for anywhere until I've actually got my results. What are your other subjects??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by youreanutter
And why do you think its the hardest a level subject
also what did u get in gcse for it and what did u get/predicted at AS/A2

Art.
Original post by kiera28
Yeah same, I think I'll be happy with a B as it's linear so the AS result only matters for application purposes. I'm having a gap year so don't necessarily need to apply for anywhere until I've actually got my results. What are your other subjects??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know why, but a gap year just never appealed to me. I hope yours goes well though!

My other subjects are history, psychology and Law with the hope of applying for Law. It's looking like I may have to keep literature so I'm not taking a majority of "soft" subjects or whatever. If I get an A, I'll definitely keep it on. If I get a high B, I'll keep it on, but if I'm scraping a B or I get a C, I'm dropping it because that is no good to me.
From what I have heard off of friends, probably chemistry.

From what I have done, no doubt physics, found it so boring.
History is really quite hard.

Only thing about politics is the breadth and depth of knowledge you have to apply in an exam - a mark per minute in an essay subject is not fair at all.
Maths is DECENT
Chemistry is a ****ery
Biology is okay
History is lovely
I don't know why, but a gap year just never appealed to me. I hope yours goes well though!

My other subjects are history, psychology and Law with the hope of applying for Law. It's looking like I may have to keep literature so I'm not taking a majority of "soft" subjects or whatever. If I get an A, I'll definitely keep it on. If I get a high B, I'll keep it on, but if I'm scraping a B or I get a C, I'm dropping it because that is no good to me.

Yeah, fair enough!! Ah I see, good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg
History is really quite hard.

Only thing about politics is the breadth and depth of knowledge you have to apply in an exam - a mark per minute in an essay subject is not fair at all.

I don't do history, but I feel your pain with politics.. Which exam board are you on?? Try classics haha' 90 minutes for 100 marks. 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
Yeah, fair enough!! Ah I see, good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope everything goes okay for you in all your subjects too! Good luck! We're not alone in the hell that is edexcel literature ahah 😂
P.E

no joke

-> has more biology than biology does

-> impossible to do well in a practical exam even if you rek your teacher (gotta be pro athlete)
Original post by kiera28
I don't do history, but I feel your pain with politics.. Which exam board are you on?? Try classics haha' 90 minutes for 100 marks. 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edexcel :frown: I screwed up unit 1 so bad and I'm not going to get an A nooooo

So glad I don't do classics lol hahahhaha
Reply 399
Original post by PhoenixBlaze123
P.E

no joke

-> has more biology than biology does

-> impossible to do well in a practical exam even if you rek your teacher (gotta be pro athlete)

LOOOL are you sure.

It requires no academic understanding at all haha

The course is just full of gym buddies with their stupid hair curtains and gym bag and huaraches tryna fit in to the stupid f#kboy stereotype this generation seems to have, and they choose P.E cause they passed GCSE P.E and nothing else so that's all they're allowed to do (but that's ok with them cause they think they're going to actually be a coach or fitness teacher or something) :hahaha:

Never compare such a monstrosity to a STEM subject again please, you embarrassment.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest