The Student Room Group

Law graduate going into technology & operations role in IB, advice?

Am I wasting my chances for applying to this role? my experience include working in corporate law firms dealing with intellectual property, competition/anti-trust, pension funds/regulation, REITS...

What competencies does tech & op require? I wouldn't say my maths is the best but just as good as the next guy
Reply 1
Not necessarily, it depends what you're doing and what the role is.

For example there is certainly a need for some Business Analysts within IT who have a good understanding of various recent regulations/laws and how they relate to the bank's systems: EMIR, Dodd Frank etc..etc..

When new regulations are introduced then dev teams need to make changes and/or external software vendors need to build enhancements - banks need people who both understand the new regulations and can spec the required changes. A law degree might well turn out to have some use here.
Original post by Dowie
Not necessarily, it depends what you're doing and what the role is.

For example there is certainly a need for some Business Analysts within IT who have a good understanding of various recent regulations/laws and how they relate to the bank's systems: EMIR, Dodd Frank etc..etc..

When new regulations are introduced then dev teams need to make changes and/or external software vendors need to build enhancements - banks need people who both understand the new regulations and can spec the required changes. A law degree might well turn out to have some use here.

hmmm... alright then, i'll give tech & ops a shot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending