Relevant Experience Watch

dciobotaru1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
As a volunteer I have applied OT for children with special needs, and soon I will do an internship with a psychotherapist, based mostly on speech therapy. In what way are speech therapy and occupational therapy related to psychology? I really want to mention these experiences in my PS but I'm not sure if and how they are relevant to psychology.
Liv1204
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They can definitely be relevant to psychology.

It might be worth searching Google for occupational therapy/psychology and speech therapy/psychology to see if there are any sites that explain in more depth how the two can be related, but speech therapy certainly is very relevant to psychology. Many Speech & Language departments in universities are based in psychology departments. Cognitive psychology and developmental psychology are hugely related to speech and language, language acquisition, interventions for language and communication, areas of the brain related to speech and language, disorders affecting language and communication etc.

Again, volunteering with children with special needs is very relevant to developmental psychology (again, language and communication, typical development, autism and ASDs, clinical psychology interventions etc). Less directly, you could think about things like the role of the 'unconscious' in how people comply to or engage in therapy and how that relates to psychology, or the use of 'scaffolding' with children, based in Vygotsky's Zone of Proximal Development - so e.g. structuring activities to guide the child towards success or towards achieving a goal.

Those are just some ideas, but hope that helps a bit.
dciobotaru1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Liv1204)
They can definitely be relevant to psychology.

It might be worth searching Google for occupational therapy/psychology and speech therapy/psychology to see if there are any sites that explain in more depth how the two can be related, but speech therapy certainly is very relevant to psychology. Many Speech & Language departments in universities are based in psychology departments. Cognitive psychology and developmental psychology are hugely related to speech and language, language acquisition, interventions for language and communication, areas of the brain related to speech and language, disorders affecting language and communication etc.

Again, volunteering with children with special needs is very relevant to developmental psychology (again, language and communication, typical development, autism and ASDs, clinical psychology interventions etc). Less directly, you could think about things like the role of the 'unconscious' in how people comply to or engage in therapy and how that relates to psychology, or the use of 'scaffolding' with children, based in Vygotsky's Zone of Proximal Development - so e.g. structuring activities to guide the child towards success or towards achieving a goal.

Those are just some ideas, but hope that helps a bit.
Thank you so much! The scaffolding part is especially helpful as I'm definitely going to use my newly -acquired knowledge on this subject in my PS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.72%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.51%
No, I am unable to (141)
23.19%
No, I chose not to (176)
28.95%