why don't france merge with belgium to form a country?

Watch
GnomeMage
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
france speaks french, belgium speaks french, why dont they just merge and form a country? same can be asked with austria and germany..
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Same with Britain and Ireland.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
History is the reason why. Belgium was created as a buffer between the German states and France. Austria had it's own empire and royal family, whereas Germany was a collection of states until united by Prussia.

The north of Belgium speaks Flemish, and for a long time they have wanted further autonomy and some even want independence or a merger with the Netherlands.

Yes Wallonia, the French speaking part of Belgium, and France might share a language, but they still have separate cultural identities, history, and are happy running themselves. To put it in context you could make the same argument for why doesn't the UK and Ireland join because the vast majority speak English, but someone with even a small knowledge of the background would understand why they are separate.

Also Switzerland has four different languages, and has been going as a state for ages. They seem themselves as Swiss, not German, Italian or French.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When Austria and Germany work together bad things happen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (53)
28.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.2%
No I am happy with my choice (101)
55.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.65%

Watched Threads