The Student Room Group

Miss a year of university for £3,750?

Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a predicament; I didn't put this in the 'University' thread as I want advice from everyone. In the last week, I signed up for 'FluCamp', which are paid clinical trials. I first signed up because, as well as thinking they'd be done before I start university, they'd give me a bit of money for university and other things.

However, after a meeting with one of the doctors at FluCamp today, I realised that the clinical trials will not finish by the time I start university, at least I don't think. So I've thought about a solution to this and I've got one (I think). I do university in September 2016 instead of 2015; I'll go through with FluCamp and find a job to raise some cash for university. I mean, £3.75k for an 18-year old is a decent bit of cash. As well as this, my parents aren't that financially secure so a bit of money would go a long way.

The only problem with that is that I've had this dream of going to university directly after sixth form for a long time and I guess I'll feel pretty lonely when all my friends are off to uni. But I guess financial security for university is important, right?

So, what do you guys think I should do? Forget about FluCamp, go to university with my friends and carry on 'my dream'? Or spend a year out getting a bit of money together for university in 2016? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by SnowyBoyXD
Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a predicament; I didn't put this in the 'University' thread as I want advice from everyone. In the last week, I signed up for 'FluCamp', which are paid clinical trials. I first signed up because, as well as thinking they'd be done before I start university, they'd give me a bit of money for university and other things.

However, after a meeting with one of the doctors at FluCamp today, I realised that the clinical trials will not finish by the time I start university, at least I don't think. So I've thought about a solution to this and I've got one (I think). I do university in September 2016 instead of 2015; I'll go through with FluCamp and find a job to raise some cash for university. I mean, £3.75k for an 18-year old is a decent bit of cash. As well as this, my parents aren't that financially secure so a bit of money would go a long way.

The only problem with that is that I've had this dream of going to university directly after sixth form for a long time and I guess I'll feel pretty lonely when all my friends are off to uni. But I guess financial security for university is important, right?

So, what do you guys think I should do? Forget about FluCamp, go to university with my friends and carry on 'my dream'? Or spend a year out getting a bit of money together for university in 2016? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Personally I would defer my entry and do this, since you don't really have anything to lose from doing it. You'll still achieve your dreams even after that.
3750 for a year is not a lot... you get 14000 on a minimum wage job. make sure you get a job as well during your year off, to be honest without a job you'll probably use that 3750 for living expenses during your year off so you'd need a job anyway
Hey everyone,

Yeah I agree - defer entry and gain quality working experiences for your CV along with some additional finances!
Reply 4
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
3750 for a year is not a lot... you get 14000 on a minimum wage job. make sure you get a job as well during your year off, to be honest without a job you'll probably use that 3750 for living expenses during your year off so you'd need a job anyway

Well, I sort of have a John Lewis job lined up after FluCamp so that's kind of sorted.
If you weren't going to defer entry had you not got flucamp, then I would just go to uni. Don't do something you don't really want to do just to do flucamp.
Reply 6
Original post by brittanna
If you weren't going to defer entry had you not got flucamp, then I would just go to uni. Don't do something you don't really want to do just to do flucamp.

I've been thinking of deferring entry before I even found out about FluCamp
Flucamp? Sounds like an incredibly fun place to be.
I've been thinking of deferring entry before I even found out about FluCamp

If you want to defer a year anyway, then fair enough. I'm just saying I wouldn't base your decision on whether or not you'll be able to do flucamp.
Reply 9
Original post by brittanna
If you want to defer a year anyway, then fair enough. I'm just saying I wouldn't base your decision on whether or not you'll be able to do flucamp.

I would never do that; I just want some extra funds for when I do start uni.
Reply 10
Original post by Hippysnake
Flucamp? Sounds like an incredibly fun place to be.

Check out the website, it's actually alright!
Doesn't the student finance system change for that year, with scrapping grants??? If so, and you're eligible for a grant, definitely go to uni instead. If you're not eligible for a grant anyway then it doesn't really matter. However, think about what else you could do in that year too - when you ring up the uni to ask to defer they will probably want a good reason...

Also, thinking more long-term you would probably earn more money in a year as a graduate than during a gap year - so if your only motivation is financial then you may be better off overall to get your degree and get earning a year earlier. However, if you're thinking you'd like a break, do some travelling, get some work experience, etc. then do a gap year :smile:
Reply 12
You will soon realise that £3750 is nothing. It's not worth it.
Reply 13
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Doesn't the student finance system change for that year, with scrapping grants??? If so, and you're eligible for a grant, definitely go to uni instead. If you're not eligible for a grant anyway then it doesn't really matter. However, think about what else you could do in that year too - when you ring up the uni to ask to defer they will probably want a good reason...

Also, thinking more long-term you would probably earn more money in a year as a graduate than during a gap year - so if your only motivation is financial then you may be better off overall to get your degree and get earning a year earlier. However, if you're thinking you'd like a break, do some travelling, get some work experience, etc. then do a gap year :smile:

I've already signed up for student finance, however the amount I will be getting just isn't enough for me to get through a year of university without my parents putting some money into it. My parents are already in debt so they can't afford to give me loads of money every month.
Reply 14
Original post by Juno
You will soon realise that £3750 is nothing. It's not worth it.

£3750 plus money I could potentially earn in a job.
I've already signed up for student finance, however the amount I will be getting just isn't enough for me to get through a year of university without my parents putting some money into it. My parents are already in debt so they can't afford to give me loads of money every month.

Doesn't matter - it's the year you start uni that dictates whether you get the grants or not. If you decide to defer a year you will have to reapply for student finance next year I believe.

If you're not getting any grant anyway though it obviously doesn't matter :smile: In that case, you'd probably benefit from the extra money you could earn through a job during your gap year :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Doesn't matter - it's the year you start uni that dictates whether you get the grants or not. If you decide to defer a year you will have to reapply for student finance next year I believe.

If you're not getting any grant anyway though it obviously doesn't matter :smile: In that case, you'd probably benefit from the extra money you could earn through a job during your gap year :smile:

Yeah, I need to talk to my parents about it and obviously see how my exam grades go

Quick Reply

Latest