Do humanities lead to progression?

Watch
Unbroken Oath
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In a STEM field such as Biology or Chemistry there is always the potential to advance or develop and improve society through breakthrough discoveries. Do fields such as law and economics do the same?
Moonstruck16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Unbroken Oath)
In a STEM field such as Biology or Chemistry there is always the potential to advance or develop and improve society through breakthrough discoveries. Do fields such as law and economics do the same?
Most people aren't going to make 'breakthrough discoveries'. They'll just be workers for the rest of their lives for the select few who do make these discoveries and are quick to sweep in and take the glory for themselves.

Law and Economics can improve society in a different way. There might not be much to discover but things can be worked on, maintained and improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unbroken Oath
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Moonstruck16)
Most people aren't going to make 'breakthrough discoveries'. They'll just be workers for the rest of their lives for the select few who do make these discoveries and are quick to sweep in and take the glory for themselves.

Law and Economics can improve society in a different way. There might not be much to discover but things can be worked on, maintained and improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you say it would be better to have more people in STEM fields to increase the odds of breakthroughs?
User1214833
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
STEM fields have increased the likelihood that we'll all be destroyed in a nuclear war. They help us to live longer, thus increasing overpopulation and the problems associated with that. We pollute the world and destroy wildlife in the pursuit of "progress".

In the future, more and more ethical issues will crop up.
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, they do. It isn't as simple as the way that the hard sciences progress, but the Social Sciences do (and those humanities which are related to the Social Sciences, such as History).

For instance, Marxist ideology has largely been discarded as irrelevant by modern Social Scientists, though things have been learned and techniques and knowledge derived by its focus on economic change, the means of production for instance.

The reason that the progression isn't quite as simple is that Natural Scientists all adopt a shared framework of knowledge, and they work by degree, verifying one fact after another. Economics is particularly idiosyncratic, but the Social Sciences in general tend to describe large parts of Society in a broad sweep. They do not provide individual facts, but explain how facts relate to one another. For that reason, they don't move in a straight light of progress like the Natural Sciences might be said to, instead they constitute a battle of various ideologies, where one tends to supersede another after a while.
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would you say it would be better to have more people in STEM fields to increase the odds of breakthroughs?
As someone who studies philosophy (mostly philosophy of science/meta-physics and ethics) as well as economics let me assure you there's a lot to say here especially since you clearly misunderstand the purpose of academic study in the very first place if you think non-academic subjects are useless.

I mean, Einsteins work in theoretical physics and meta-physics certainly didn't lead to any direct "inventions" he wasn't physically engineering anything. He was sat in his armchair doing a bit of philosophy and maths. But him progressing the academic field led to vocational subject-practisers being able to actually create a new invention. The academic progression precedes it though - new inventions don't come about with good luck arbitrarily.
Moonstruck16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not necessarily. There are already many scientists in the world who are makig breakthroughs. What they need is more money and they aren't the ones who will have knowledge in how to obtain it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
llys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know about Engineering, but most people already quit science, so having more people go into it would not help. (Providing stable jobs would, but that's not going to happen.) This graph shows the career destinations of people who liked science enough to do a PhD. See what happens after they finish their PhD:

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.36%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads