Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

wahey...proof by contradiction! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    using proof by contradiction, show that there are an infinte number of rational numbers between 0 and 1.

I can never do these...is there a standard method to follow?

(Original post by hohum)
    using proof by contradiction, show that there are an infinte number of rational numbers between 0 and 1.

This is one of those a/b things int it?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)

If there isn't an infinite amount, say there are n rational numbers, with m/n the highest, where 0<n and 0<m, and n>m. But consider (m+1)/(n+1), this is another larger rational number between 0 and 1, so contradiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    If there isn't an infinite amount, say there are n rational numbers, with m/n the highest, where 0<n and 0<m, and n>m. But consider (m+1)/(n+1), this is another larger rational number between 0 and 1, so contradiction.
    surely assume there are a finite number between 0 and 1 namely
    a1, a2, a3......1

ok but wot does (a1+a2)/2=???x??
    we have new one
    and wot about (a1+x)/2=

so we have a contradiction

ReputationRep:
    Let x be the smallest nonzero rational between 0 and 1. Then x/2 is a smaller nonzero rational between 0 and 1. Contradiction.

ReputationRep:
    can you say:

assume there is a finite number blah...

n / n+1 where n can take any +ve integer

therefore there is a finite number of rational numbers as n is infinite itself

????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rae)
    can you say:

assume there is a finite number blah...

n / n+1 where n can take any +ve integer

therefore there is a finite number of rational numbers as n is infinite itself

????????
    Oh great you're all stupidly clever compared to me! Thanks though, I see your thinking even if I can't think it myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonny W)
    Let x be the smallest nonzero rational between 0 and 1. Then x/2 is a smaller nonzero rational between 0 and 1. Contradiction.
    that's a nice one. I like that one.

ReputationRep:
    Or of course the opposite. let x be the greatest rational number between 0 and 1 (non inclusive) x^2 is a bigger rational number! I know the proble has beeen solved but I thought i'd put in my two pence

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Or of course the opposite. let x be the greatest rational number between 0 and 1 (non inclusive) x^2 is a bigger rational number! I know the proble has beeen solved but I thought i'd put in my two pence
    x^2 < x, so your proof isn't the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    In fact its not even a proof. Surely it should be if x is the greatest rational number with 0<x<1, then what is (x+1)/2 ? Well its greater then x , contradiction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)

MB
    can't you call x the lowest rational number instead? then x^2 is lower...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.