The Student Room Group

How much of freshers are you missing out on if you don't go to nightclub events?

Ok so I can't go anywhere near a nightclub due to my tinnitus which was caused by neurological bull**** and probably eustachlan tube dysfunction. Nightclubs are waaaay too loud (don't see how it's legal) and could easily make it worse, I don't trust ear plugs to fully protect my ears. It's a shame because I have been to a nightclub when I was fine and enjoyed it.

I am not willing to risk it and make it worse because it's relatively mild most of the time so is easy to cope with. If it got worse it would ruin my life.

So what would happen at these louder freshers events? Am I really missing out? I also don't want to be the only one who doesn't go. I don't want people to see me as antisocial and no fun for not going :frown: I will go to all other events.
Original post by Strawberry68
Ok so I can't go anywhere near a nightclub due to my tinnitus which was caused by neurological bull**** and probably eustachlan tube dysfunction. Nightclubs are waaaay too loud (don't see how it's legal) and could easily make it worse, I don't trust ear plugs to fully protect my ears. It's a shame because I have been to a nightclub when I was fine and enjoyed it.

I am not willing to risk it and make it worse because it's relatively mild most of the time so is easy to cope with. If it got worse it would ruin my life.

So what would happen at these louder freshers events? Am I really missing out? I also don't want to be the only one who doesn't go. I don't want people to see me as antisocial and no fun for not going :frown: I will go to all other events.

Not sure why you don't trust ear plugs they are rated by SNR (Signal-to-noise ratio) for Europe and Noise Reduction Ratings (US) which tell you how effective they are.

I also have tinnitus and have worked as a live sound engineer, I have my own custom made ear plugs. They may cost a lot more, about £130+, but they allow you to hear the music properly without damaging your ears.
Original post by IamLiquid
Not sure why you don't trust ear plugs they are rated by SNR (Signal-to-noise ratio) for Europe and Noise Reduction Ratings (US) which tell you how effective they are.

I also have tinnitus and have worked as a live sound engineer, I have my own custom made ear plugs. They may cost a lot more, about £130+, but they allow you to hear the music properly without damaging your ears.

I guess I'm paranoid about it getting worse.

That is so much money for one or two events though.

I had a pair that cost £10 but somehow managed to lose them, I now just have foam and flight ear plugs. I used the flight ones for the disco at prom, they are good at blocking out sound, and I was fine after. A nightclub is louder than that though.
hmm you will miss allot of the evening stuff but there are things like film clubs and the such also not all clubs are super loud you could always go and if it's too loud leave your mates should understand but then there are Bars and society so will you miss out yes will it run your experience no

I wouldn't say you're missing much of freshers by not going out at night!
Personally on my freshers week I went to all the freshers event but never went out to nightclubs until after freshers purely because I didn't want to push myself too much and didn't feel fully confident going out to the nightclubs on the first night.
The 'nightclub' portion of freshers is literally the 'blowing off steam' after the SU events you may attend. You don't do anything at these apart from get steaming, dance till your hearts content and just drink the night away! You don't remember much of it!

However, some nightclubs do have 'lounge' areas and quieter areas that play music a little lower for people of an older age etc or just people who want to chill out. Maybe look out for those?

But don't worry, you aren't missing out on any freshers exeperience!
I recoment the custom made ear plugs , They pour stuff in your ear to get perfect fit and come with various different filters for different situations ... I damaged my hearing DJing in clubs and can still work using these , no loss of sound quality just removes the damaging levels

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk
There will be LOTS of Freshers stuff that has nothing to do with nightclubs/loud.
So dont worry, you wont miss out. Heaps of people dont like the whole club thing, so you wont be thought of as anti-social etc..
I only went to one nightclub durig my fresher' week. Trust me, your life wont be over if you don't go to one. You won't make your close friends there. That just happens naturally over the year and you'll probably have some of your best nights outside of night clubs,

Posted from TSR Mobile
I
I had a pair that cost £10 but somehow managed to lose them, I now just have foam and flight ear plugs. I used the flight ones for the disco at prom, they are good at blocking out sound, and I was fine after. A nightclub is louder than that though.

Have you ever been to a night club? You will find that Nightclubscare not really much louder then a stool prom or disco . That said our prom was done by a top London DJ so whatever
just get some more good earplugs it's only £10

Don't worry about it!

I get panic attacks in night clubs so didn't go to any of my freshers events. If you're living in halls I would recommend you be honest with your flatmates and tell them that you wont be going to those events and why you wont be going. People are a lot nicer and understanding than you think, and hey, someone has to be home when they forget to take the keys out with them and need help getting into bed at 4am haha :smile:

In my flat everyone was very understanding, and we organised some days out to museums and the cinema so I could be involved with the group.

You will also find that not everyone is a party animal. A lot of people I know at uni (and I am friend with a lot of people who do go out partying) only go out once a month after freshers is over, so do hang in there. Freshers is 2 weeks and can be overwhelming, but it doesn't stay like that for long :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending