The Student Room Group

How can my college do this to me, I wanted to go to university *cries*

Anon Please TSR.

I suffer from mental health conditions and i do not get along with my family. Basically my relationships with people are described as 'introvertism with a bit of cynicalism'

I did an access course in the worst college in London (yes, i'm shaming you SOUTH THAMES COLLEGE). I had emailed the awarding body and this is what they say to me in the email.

'Please note however that no credits were put forward by the college for you at the Awards Board and so we will be unable to issue you with a transcript'

What does this mean TSR users in your mind? does it mean that my college blacklisted me because i failed half the course. I was told by my tutor that i will get a transcript of credits even i fail the course.

I don't want to go back to college and i definitely do not what to live with my family for another year. I was looking at some thread a while back about a user who got said 'you can get into a foundation year with nothing'. This is now what i want to do.

Is it possible to get into a Foundation Year with 4 GCSE's (including maths & english). I'm just so shocked of why this has happened :cry2:, if i was to receive the transcript, it would have made begging to universities easier.
Reply 1
Btw, if you don't know what an access course is , it basically is fastrack A-levels and at times can be harder than A-levels itself
Reply 2
A transcript for an access course that wasn't passed probably wouldn't have done you any favours either way tbh as most uni offers after access go along the lines of 'x credits at distinction, x credits at merit, pass access overall'.

Good luck with the foundation year applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Anon Please TSR.

I suffer from mental health conditions and i do not get along with my family. Basically my relationships with people are described as 'introvertism with a bit of cynicalism'

I did an access course in the worst college in London (yes, i'm shaming you SOUTH THAMES COLLEGE). I had emailed the awarding body and this is what they say to me in the email.

'Please note however that no credits were put forward by the college for you at the Awards Board and so we will be unable to issue you with a transcript'

What does this mean TSR users in your mind? does it mean that my college blacklisted me because i failed half the course. I was told by my tutor that i will get a transcript of credits even i fail the course.

I don't want to go back to college and i definitely do not what to live with my family for another year. I was looking at some thread a while back about a user who got said 'you can get into a foundation year with nothing'. This is now what i want to do.

Is it possible to get into a Foundation Year with 4 GCSE's (including maths & english). I'm just so shocked of why this has happened :cry2:, if i was to receive the transcript, it would have made begging to universities easier.

So the awarding body said that none of your Access course credits were put forward to them, essentially meaning you wasted a year doing an Access course just to get no qualification (whether you failed or not). That's terrible. I'd complain to the college.

But anyway, there's nothing you can do now, but yes there are many universities that will allow you into a Foundation Year with just GCSEs. What do you want to study at university, and what GCSEs and grades do you have? So I can recommend some, that is. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by yellowcopter
So the awarding body said that none of your Access course credits were put forward to them, essentially meaning you wasted a year doing an Access course just to get no qualification (whether you failed or not). That's terrible. I'd complain to the college.

But anyway, there's nothing you can do now, but yes there are many universities that will allow you into a Foundation Year with just GCSEs. What do you want to study at university, and what GCSEs and grades do you have? So I can recommend some, that is. :smile:

I should have known this was going to happen. I emailed the college two weeks to know when the results were coming, instead the adminstrator of the department emailed me and said my details have been sent to the Head of Department. I have still not heard anything from him meaning i am suspicious he has done this dilberately as we both never got along.

I have written an angry email to him to demand an explanation.

I want to do a music foundation year as i have a btec level 2 in music and gcses including maths and english at C
I should have known this was going to happen. I emailed the college two weeks to know when the results were coming, instead the adminstrator of the department emailed me and said my details have been sent to the Head of Department. I have still not heard anything from him meaning i am suspicious he has done this dilberately as we both never got along.

I have written an angry email to him to demand an explanation.

I want to do a music foundation year as i have a btec level 2 in music and gcses including maths and english at C

Hopefully action is taken, whether you failed or not you signed up for this course so they should have entered your credits regardless.

Anywho, here are some courses I found:

De Montfort University Leicester - FdSc Music Technology
Requires 5 GCSEs grade C and 160 UCAS points, so unfortunately you don't match the criteria but worth contacting as they may have clearing spaces.

University of West London - FdA Music Technology
Level 2 Maths and English and 180 Level 3 UCAS points - however their website states that they accept and welcome applicants with no formal qualifications so worth contacting and considering.

University of Bolton - FdA Urban and Contemporary Music
No entry requirements stated on website, so contact them/check on UCAS.

University Campus Suffolk
FdA Creative Music - 2016 only
FdA Music Production - 2015 clearing available
Both require 200 UCAS points, though again you may want to enquire. FdA Music Production turns into BA with 1 extra year at the uni.

Bath Spa University - FdA Music Production
180-220 UCAS points, however claims if you do not posses any HE qualifications they will consider all applicants who have some musical background/experience.

University of Sunderland - FdA Music
Doesn't state entry requirements on website, FdA Music turns into BA with an extra year.

It is quite hard to find Music foundation degrees, so you may want to consider an alternative foundation degree, e.g. Media which would still eventually be able to get you into an undergraduate degree in Music after you complete it. Many universities offer foundation degrees in Media such as Ravensbourne, UAL, UCA however I didn't mention them as I assume you're set on Music. But if you'd be find with an alternative such as Media, I could recommend some in further detail.

Good luck. :h:
Reply 6
Original post by yellowcopter
Hopefully action is taken, whether you failed or not you signed up for this course so they should have entered your credits regardless.

Anywho, here are some courses I found:

De Montfort University Leicester - FdSc Music Technology
Requires 5 GCSEs grade C and 160 UCAS points, so unfortunately you don't match the criteria but worth contacting as they may have clearing spaces.

University of West London - FdA Music Technology
Level 2 Maths and English and 180 Level 3 UCAS points - however their website states that they accept and welcome applicants with no formal qualifications so worth contacting and considering.

University of Bolton - FdA Urban and Contemporary Music
No entry requirements stated on website, so contact them/check on UCAS.

University Campus Suffolk
FdA Creative Music - 2016 only
FdA Music Production - 2015 clearing available
Both require 200 UCAS points, though again you may want to enquire. FdA Music Production turns into BA with 1 extra year at the uni.

Bath Spa University - FdA Music Production
180-220 UCAS points, however claims if you do not posses any HE qualifications they will consider all applicants who have some musical background/experience.

University of Sunderland - FdA Music
Doesn't state entry requirements on website, FdA Music turns into BA with an extra year.

It is quite hard to find Music foundation degrees, so you may want to consider an alternative foundation degree, e.g. Media which would still eventually be able to get you into an undergraduate degree in Music after you complete it. Many universities offer foundation degrees in Media such as Ravensbourne, UAL, UCA however I didn't mention them as I assume you're set on Music. But if you'd be find with an alternative such as Media, I could recommend some in further detail.

Good luck. :h:

Thank you very much, i would look into these and try my best to get into one of them in the next few weeks.
Reply 7
any more advice as next week i will be approaching universities in which i describe as the 'hardest most impossible mission to date'
any more advice as next week i will be approaching universities in which i describe as the 'hardest most impossible mission to date'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3174784/Universities-accused-running-racket-lets-thousands-students-just-three-grade-Es.html

Bolton may be willing to give you a shot. Good luck!
Reply 9
Are you sure this is the right path for you? A degree is going to be much harder than an Access course, so before you get into debt for something that may not work out, I would consider alternatives.
http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/advice/music-apprenticeships-75
http://www.ukmusic.org/skills-academy/apprenticeships/
http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/opportunity/music-business-apprenticeship-32688
(edited 8 years ago)
To be honest, if you fail half an access course, you will absolutely bomb at university. The work load are miles apart. I've seen people who have failed to appreciate this and jumped in to university while not healthy enough. They generally drop out without finishing the first year. If I was you, I would focus on improving your mental health before taking a risk with university.
Hi everybody, just an update

I lost it with my college, i was shouting and swearing and screaming at them. They have now done it and it was a misunderstanding

now i have to wait for my failed transcripts
You have some serious issues which you need to sort out before even considering uni.
Hi everybody, just an update

I lost it with my college, i was shouting and swearing and screaming at them. They have now done it and it was a misunderstanding

now i have to wait for my failed transcripts

The thing is, this sort of behaviour would not be accepted at a uni. Foundation courses are increasingly competitive, and you won't secure a place on one without a good reference. I wouldn't be so quick to burn your bridges with your college- at the very least you should apologise for your behaviour.

At uni, if things don't go your way, becoming aggressive will just lead to disciplinary action. You will have to be proactive in resolving problems, especially if you struggle with elements of the course.

I understand your situation is frustrating, but there must be some reason you did so badly on your course- if you failed to cope with an access course, you will almost definitely fail to cope at uni. I would suggest taking some time to resolve your mental health issues, before attempting to go to uni. You will essentially only get one shot at funding uni, so it is important not to waste it.

Original post by OU Student
You have some serious issues which you need to sort out before even considering uni.

PRSOM.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
The thing is, this sort of behaviour would not be accepted at a uni. Foundation courses are increasingly competitive, and you won't secure a place on one without a good reference. I wouldn't be so quick to burn your bridges with your college- at the very least you should apologise for your behaviour.

At uni, if things don't go your way, becoming aggressive will just lead to disciplinary action. You will have to be proactive in resolving problems, especially if you struggle with elements of the course.

I understand your situation is frustrating, but there must be some reason you did so badly on your course- if you failed to cope with an access course, you will almost definitely fail to cope at uni. I would suggest taking some time to resolve your mental health issues, before attempting to go to uni. You will essentially only get one shot at funding uni, so it is important not to waste it.

PRSOM.

I don't think my tutor is returning to the college so i doubt i wil geg a reference (in fact isnt my reference already in my ucas application?)

i dont need to apologise, im an introvert, they had to see my dark side. I know it sounds like im losing the plot i am not ****ing staying in my house with my family and people bullying me. It aint on.

Im not expect me going to uni will make me popular, i just want to leave and accept my introvertess alone in my room when i go uni
I don't think my tutor is returning to the college so i doubt i wil geg a reference (in fact isnt my reference already in my ucas application?)

i dont need to apologise, im an introvert, they had to see my dark side. I know it sounds like im losing the plot i am not ****ing staying in my house with my family and people bullying me. It aint on.

Im not expect me going to uni will make me popular, i just want to leave and accept my introvertess alone in my room when i go uni

er, what? You do have to apologise. You're not 5 any more. You need to grow up. That sort of behaviour won't be tolerated at uni and you will get kicked out.
Reply 16
Original post by Quantex
To be honest, if you fail half an access course, you will absolutely bomb at university. The work load are miles apart. I've seen people who have failed to appreciate this and jumped in to university while not healthy enough. They generally drop out without finishing the first year. If I was you, I would focus on improving your mental health before taking a risk with university.

This exactly.

@OP why do you want to go to university in the first place? From what you have said here it seems that the only reason for this is to get away from family. Have you considered applying for apprenticeships or other jobs instead?

A lot of foundation courses won't be in clearing or will have very limited spaces, so if you need to reapply next year, you will need a reference from your college.

It sounds like your living situation, and lots of factors in your life are less than idea right now, and that sucks- but if you end up failing/dropping out of uni, what would happen then? It's much better to go to uni at the right time and make it a successful experience.

It's not about being popular or not- although totally isolating yourself is less than ideal. Aggression won't be tolerated at uni- if you show staff "your dark side", you may be asked to leave. If you're aggressive towards others in halls, you could face eviction. There is lots of support available at uni, but much less in the way of second chances if you do cross the line.

Quick Reply