username1863871
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey! I hope everybody is having a great summer and not worrying too much about exam results I was just wondering if you would offer me some tips for year 11, in terms of studying and achieving the best possible grades I can? I'm predicted all A/A*s at GCSE and I am determined to achieve them or do the best I can at any rate. I tried my hardest in all my coursework this year and have achieved As/A*s and I was hoping to achieve the same results in my mocks but I slipped up in some subjects, to give you an idea of my mock grades (14 exams in 5 days): History A*, Maths A, English A, English Lit 1A* 1A, Spanish Reading A*, Listening C, Music Solo A*, Listening C, Science Unit 1: A*, Unit 2: A, Unit 3: A, Unit 4: B, Philosophy and Ethics: A

Thanks in advance
Edosawr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay, well I'm going into Year 11 too next year but I do have a plan!
After school, I'll just look over what I did in class that day, do the homework I get set on that day. If I don't understand I'll look in my revision guide and make some flash cards.
On the weekends, I'll spend about 2 hours just making some revision cards on what I did in the week. This is for when I revise later, I can just do it, instead of having to prepare revision cards.
For the mocks in December/January, I'm going to revise as if they are my normal GCSEs and try my hardest in them, just to see what I can achieve.
I'm planning to relax in the Christmas break and just perfect my coursework.
Up to March, I'll be going over some Year 10 and Year 11 work I've done, but not revising hardcore (don't want to get burnt out). I will be flexible with this. Planning do to around 5 hours per week. I'll focus on more difficult subjects.
After that, I will do more revision. Around an hour per day after school for a subject up until study leave.
When I get to study leave, I'll do a past paper every day. I'll make sure I'm familiar with the mark schemes and revise anything I didn't know. I'll do around 4 hours of revision a day, making sure I don't get too burnt out and I'll make sure I'll have constant breaks.
The afternoon before exams, I'll just brush up on the subjects to refresh my memory.

Today, I'm going into Town to buy revision cards, pens and all that stuff so I'm prepared. Might make some occasional flash cards but not planning on doing too much. I'm just going to relax in this Summer and try not to worry.

Good Luck for next year.

EDIT: For you, I'd focus on the subjects that you want to get higher in so I'm guessing the listening exams and Science unit 4? Maybe go over those subjects this Summer quickly just to refresh. Go into Year 11 knowing how to improve in those subjects and where you went wrong.
Maybe my revision time table is not suitable for you? Just try different things for upcoming tests and mocks. See what works for you and do that later for your real GCSEs. As long as you're good with your time and you can stick to a timetable, you should be absolutely fine for these pesky GCSEs.
Irevisedalot
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im in year 12, I got 9 A* and two As last year in my gcses. I started around now two years ago before going into year 11, and it made it much easier.
Firstly, I bought all revision books for my subjects that i may need and that I thought would help me,and then I worked out what study technique I wanted to use for each exam, for example flashcards for geography and mind maps for music. I tried to make all my revision resources by October of year 11, and then I started revising for my mocks. I started my revision the week before October half term, and I did a topic from a subject each evening. Over the half term I did 3 hours everyday, 21 hours altogether, and at the start of each week of revision I worked out what I wanted to achieve, and ticked things off over the week. after my mocks, which I got 1 A*, 9 As and a B I left my revision for two months to focus purely on my school work, but any small tests in class I would use my pre made flashcards to help me prepare. I started revision for each subject exactly 3 months before each exam, and used my resources until 1 month before where I mainly focused on exam questions.
username1863871
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks, both of you, I'm planning on combining both of your ideas so that I can smash them next year 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edosawr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HouseOfRichman)
Thanks, both of you, I'm planning on combining both of your ideas so that I can smash them next year 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem
DaringDaniel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi your grades are already very good. This means you need less of a charge/push of it if that makes sense you certainly have the bedrock to do very well if you are getting those grades. I wish you every success. Do not start early do not start late is my advice myself only started putting my head down in April well everyone is different. Yr11 where did it go?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (27)
14.44%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (55)
29.41%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
40.11%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.37%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed