The masses believe a false reality from television Watch

Arndale
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I noticed that there was a hidden message in a film called “Network” made in 1976. The hidden message is that today’s society consists largely of people whose views, opinions, beliefs and values come out of a tube, called a television. While they do not realise this, the people’s beliefs are not their own, they are literally programmes by television. I have personally had conversations with academics (the people who are supposed to think), who manage to relate things back to “what has received lots of media attention”, as if that makes it true.

I have spliced together a number of clips from the film, to demonstrate the hidden narrative. The point here is that there is no truth to most of the things that come out of the television, it is a reality that everyone believes to be the actual reality but it is not. It is a constructed reality made by putting together a number of unrelated and often insignificant events and creating a false story from the created tapestry of these events.

Most people just cannot even conceive that this is a false world, because the beliefs are so ingrained in them. This spliced film, that I have put together is a deprogramming tool for the masses, who have been brainwashed by the tool of television and have lost the ability to differentiate between fact and fiction, and I will not provide any examples because such examples just involve prejudice and a reaction because people are fed up of hearing about those examples. Anything on the news to do with war or geo-politics is entirely fictional.

Here is the deprogramming tool, the spliced film:

[My video was blocked on YouTube and I have uploaded using Vimeo..........]

Yes this is just art not proof of anything, but the point is once your mind to considering that what is on the TV may be false, then you can do your own analysis based on objective and empirical facts rather than blind faith in this information.
TheAbyss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Completely agree. It is utterly devastating how much faith people put into the media, how the media has be ability to control the masses and how it ingrains certain beliefs and ideas into people and they struggle to accept that things may not be the way the seem.
Bobby Crazykite
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A very interesting topic indeed. I have noticed lately (well, a few years ago) how the media presupposes things that are not spoken about. For instance such things are health and entertainment- writing about that takes into account things that are not widely announced, as if they are to be taken for granted. Say, the underlying narrative in story about family life and health is a certain way of life that is STANDARD, and to be followed. Certain gender roles, certain traits of character, that are meant to be 'Normal' and a part of 'common sense'. We are made to consider and discuss minor subjects, isolated subjects (say, 'is this bad?', 'that person did this and that'), but in fact there is an undercurrent, that shapes our understanding of life. We are silently made to believe that there is one 'Norm' that not simply 'should be' followed, but IS universally followed, thus if we ourselves happen not to conform, we should do so instantly, out of shame, that we are outsiders... The way events are presented is another way of shapping opinions. It is interesting, how media can alter out understanding by simply implying something between the lines. I once heard a rather strange message on TV (not on British TV), that 1 000 000 has been spent to build shelters for the homeless in some small town in my country. The message supposed it to be a bad thing- money is being 'wasted', it was supposed. But, perhaps be it slightly another situation (a need to promote some politician, say), the same fact would be put in a different light and people would think differentely.

I recommend you to read works by Jean Baudrillard, where these topics have been adressed. One particular thing is that Baudrillard states that the media makes us think that it does nothing- we are 'in charge'. If people complain about something, they are answered 'You wanted this!'. The media constantly reffers to the multitude as those who enable it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (48)
18.9%
Labour (104)
40.94%
Liberal Democrats (52)
20.47%
Green Party (15)
5.91%
Brexit Party (7)
2.76%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.57%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.97%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)