The Student Room Group

Getting my stuff to Leeds from London

Evening :h:

So in two months I'll be starting my PhD and moving from home! :h: however, I have no idea what services there are in terms of getting my stuff up to Leeds from London.

As silly as it sounds, I can't drive and my mum doesn't have a car (and doesn't feel comfortable with motorways at all) I'm looking to see if there are any family members that I could ask to rent a van and drive but until I get something from that possibly I'm looking at other options.

Now I have looked into a couple of services such as uni baggage however they don't transfer things like plates and glass. Now I recently did a Ikea shop as I've been gradually getting my stuff for my new place so I'd rather not rebuy everything ... I also haven't mentioned cost for all of this :eek:

TLDR what options could I explore that I may have missed? A complete n00b on this front :unsure:

Thanks!
Maybe take a few things from London and buy the rest once you're in Leeds:dontknow:
pay for a man with a van(could get expensive though)
Courier...Parcel2go.com or buy new/used stuff
Shouldn't have bought everything in London and only take the essential when you first move. My friends used student storage services but I don't know if they can not bother with storing and just deliver straight away. :s
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hihihihihi
Shouldn't have bought everything in London and only take the essential when you first move. My friends used student storage services but I don't know if they can not bother with storing and just deliver straight away. :s

Student storage services are a rip off tbh, and they're marketed at students in particular, because they know most people don't know of alternative (non student) movers that are a lot cheaper and give you tracking

I've sent stuff from myself to mself at another address

^ UNless of course they're a "man with a van" type service. If they operate in the same way that DHL, TNT, Royal Mail etc... work, then they're pretty pointless and even if they ARE essentially "man with a van" people, there's always shiply.com and they're probably going to be cheaper

I sent a 30Kg item from my flat to my parents house for some £12/£13 with insurance - next day delivery with CityLink ( This was before it went bust)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The_Internet
Student storage services are a rip off tbh, and they're marketed at students in particular, because they know most people don't know of alternative (non student) movers that are a lot cheaper and give you tracking

I've sent stuff from myself to mself at another address

^ UNless of course they're a "man with a van" type service. If they operate in the same way that DHL, TNT, Royal Mail etc... work, then they're pretty pointless and even if they ARE essentially "man with a van" people, there's always shiply.com and they're probably going to be cheaper

I sent a 30Kg item from my flat to my parents house for some £12/£13 with insurance - next day delivery with CityLink ( This was before it went bust)

Oh, my friend paid only £90 for 3 months storage and got his stuff delivered to Bristol from London.
Original post by hihihihihi
Oh, my friend paid only £90 for 3 months storage and got his stuff delivered to Bristol from London.

For Bristol to London that's pretty pricey tbh. I've sent stuff from the midlands, 130 miles up north and it's been maybe a month or so's worth of stuff and it cost me...£8
Reply 8
Original post by Slowbro93
Evening :h:

So in two months I'll be starting my PhD and moving from home! :h: however, I have no idea what services there are in terms of getting my stuff up to Leeds from London.

As silly as it sounds, I can't drive and my mum doesn't have a car (and doesn't feel comfortable with motorways at all) I'm looking to see if there are any family members that I could ask to rent a van and drive but until I get something from that possibly I'm looking at other options.

Now I have looked into a couple of services such as uni baggage however they don't transfer things like plates and glass. Now I recently did a Ikea shop as I've been gradually getting my stuff for my new place so I'd rather not rebuy everything ... I also haven't mentioned cost for all of this :eek:

TLDR what options could I explore that I may have missed? A complete n00b on this front :unsure:

Thanks!

go on anyvan.com and you will get many quotes emailed to you,

it is expensive but you do come across cheap quotes and you can read the reviews,

some will even offer to give you a lift!

good luck on your PhD :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you everyone for your responses, I've now started looking into the different options and ideas! :biggrin:
Original post by m93100
go on anyvan.com and you will get many quotes emailed to you,

it is expensive but you do come across cheap quotes and you can read the reviews,

some will even offer to give you a lift!

good luck on your PhD :smile:

I've used them before and while the men with ven are a mixed bunch, the customer support from anyvan is pretty spot on - I had someone fail to turn up and they found me an excellent replacement within 2 hours, even though it was a Sunday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Origami Bullets
I've used them before and while the men with ven are a mixed bunch, the customer support from anyvan is pretty spot on - I had someone fail to turn up and they found me an excellent replacement within 2 hours, even though it was a Sunday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll take this into consideration :smile:
Reply 12
So for those who are wondering, I got most of my stuff moved.

How? Via ... the megabus :tongue:

It was a little stressful in that we had 2 minutes to get from gate 1 to gate 20 in 2 minutes with boxes but it was not as bad as I thought :smile: Clothes will come with me on the actual day (the 24th).

Not the most conventional way of moving but I like to get creative occasionally :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending